Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    LenGlover said:
    Her colours were definitely Romanian. Born in Canada to Chinese and Romanian parents. A British superstar ?! 

Very much a British super star with an international background is Emma Raducanu.

The Ex British Number 1 Joanna Konta was born in Sydney to Hungarian parents and her home is in Eastbourne since she was 14. Only got British Citizenship in 2013 when she was 21.

So many of the England football team and UK Athletics team have parents and grandparents from Africa and the Caribbean.  

Where Emma is different from Konta and Greg Rusedski she learnt her tennis in England as she has has lived in England since was 2.

......…..

If you know the history of tennis winning a slam as a teenager* doesn't mean you will dominate tennis as Tracey Austin and Maria Sharapova will testify but Emma Raducanu is in the records books and that's is etched on the trophy and our memories.

* Serena Williams is the exception.
    I don’t have a problem with it at all. 
    What language do you think they speak at home ???
    They speak English which is Emma's native tongue and the language that links all three of them. Emma was also taught Mandarin by her Mum. 
    Nope. Mandarin to mum, Romanian to Dad and English to friends / coaches. She’s a clever girl. 
    If your parents spoke a different language you wouldn’t just speak English to them would you ? 
    Emmas's Dad can't speak Manadarin. Her Mum can't speak Romanian. So the only language that unites the three of them is English. 

As for your assertion that "if your parents spoke a different language you wouldn't just speak English to them would you?"  Mine didn't. And they were both Hungarian. 
    Are you Joe Bugner? ;)
    I'm not but my Godfather was close friends with Laszlo Papp, Olympic Champion in three consecutive Olympics and my Dad did once act as interpreter for the Hungarian Amateur Boxing Team back in the '70s. Charlie Magri fought for us that night and he, of course, went on to become World Champion. But, funnily enough, like Raducanu he wasn't born here (Tunisia actually) and came here at the age of two too.

Bloody foreigners coming over here and winning all our World titles!
  • Options
    Thanks for that. Must remember to use that turn pf phrase next time you have a point of you:

Are you seriously telling me that covering the following used to cost nothing:

Cricket including every single Test match and the John Player Cricket League every Sunday
    Horse racing every Saturday and midweek including the Derby, Aintree and Cheltenham 
    Boxing including world title fights
    Rugby League every Saturday and the BBC 2 Floodit programme
    Rugby Union including ALL of the Six Nations matches
    Golf including the Open, the Masters and the Ryder Cup
    Motor racing including every Grand Prix
    Ski Sunday
    Every major athletics meeting
    Football including being the sole provider of FA Cup games

The peak viewing figures for the match was 9.2 million. But it actually reached 12.6 million people. For 44 years we've been talking about Viriginia Wade being the last of our women to do it and now an 18 year old had the opportunity to emulate that. How embarrassing for the British Broadcasting Corporation that even the Queen watched the tennis on C4 rather than Last Night of the Proms - but, there again, so did at least another 10 million plus people.

So I ask again. Given that all the above live events used to be (and simultaneously too) covered by the BBC, what do they now spend the Licence fee money on specifically in relation to sport? Wimbledon and.......................

It's not just the fact that they didn't show it. It's the fact that the BBC are so hypocritical as it pretends to cover sport and pretends to make serious bids to show it. They don't. They pay lip service to it now. How many times have we heard that "we made a competitive offer" for the rights? The team that loses every single match isn't "competitive" - is it? If they don't have the money then say "we don't have the money" because we have to give free Licence Fees to over 75s now. The very people who might never, by the way, see one of our tennis players win a Grand Slam again in their lifetime.

But here's some food for thought - 
    • The 253 senior leaders at the BBC were paid £148,221 each on average, costing a total of £37.5 million
    • Analysis shows the median salary of a BBC employee is 83 per cent higher than the median salary across the UK. 
    • The highest earning executive in 2019-20 was former director general Tony Hall. He received a total of £471,000 in salary and taxable benefits, including a car and driver.
    That's where the Licence Fee payers money is going. Paying Executives. The very people who say that the BBC doesn't have enough money to show a one off, once in a lifetime, sporting event that was guaranteed to be historic even if Raducanu had lost.

Now let's hear some of your "twaddle"

I wonder what would happen to programme quality if the top salary for senior managers was reduced to say, 50k?
    Never been convinced that the quality of a senior manager is proportional to their salary. A complete myth!
    And the reputation of many exists due to the ability of those paid less below them to get the job done. 
    I'm sure plenty of lower paid BBC staff could undertake a senior role just as well. Or even better. 

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    I'm very impressed with Emma on and off the court. I just hope that she doesn't have an allegiance to Crystal Palace.
    Someone posted her dad supports us, but not sure of the provenance of that
  • Options
    Thanks for that. Must remember to use that turn pf phrase next time you have a point of you:

Are you seriously telling me that covering the following used to cost nothing:

Cricket including every single Test match and the John Player Cricket League every Sunday
    Horse racing every Saturday and midweek including the Derby, Aintree and Cheltenham 
    Boxing including world title fights
    Rugby League every Saturday and the BBC 2 Floodit programme
    Rugby Union including ALL of the Six Nations matches
    Golf including the Open, the Masters and the Ryder Cup
    Motor racing including every Grand Prix
    Ski Sunday
    Every major athletics meeting
    Football including being the sole provider of FA Cup games

The peak viewing figures for the match was 9.2 million. But it actually reached 12.6 million people. For 44 years we've been talking about Viriginia Wade being the last of our women to do it and now an 18 year old had the opportunity to emulate that. How embarrassing for the British Broadcasting Corporation that even the Queen watched the tennis on C4 rather than Last Night of the Proms - but, there again, so did at least another 10 million plus people.

So I ask again. Given that all the above live events used to be (and simultaneously too) covered by the BBC, what do they now spend the Licence fee money on specifically in relation to sport? Wimbledon and.......................

It's not just the fact that they didn't show it. It's the fact that the BBC are so hypocritical as it pretends to cover sport and pretends to make serious bids to show it. They don't. They pay lip service to it now. How many times have we heard that "we made a competitive offer" for the rights? The team that loses every single match isn't "competitive" - is it? If they don't have the money then say "we don't have the money" because we have to give free Licence Fees to over 75s now. The very people who might never, by the way, see one of our tennis players win a Grand Slam again in their lifetime.

But here's some food for thought - 
    • The 253 senior leaders at the BBC were paid £148,221 each on average, costing a total of £37.5 million
    • Analysis shows the median salary of a BBC employee is 83 per cent higher than the median salary across the UK. 
    • The highest earning executive in 2019-20 was former director general Tony Hall. He received a total of £471,000 in salary and taxable benefits, including a car and driver.
    That's where the Licence Fee payers money is going. Paying Executives. The very people who say that the BBC doesn't have enough money to show a one off, once in a lifetime, sporting event that was guaranteed to be historic even if Raducanu had lost.

Now let's hear some of your "twaddle"

I wonder what would happen to programme quality if the top salary for senior managers was reduced to say, 50k?
    Never been convinced that the quality of a senior manager is proportional to their salary. A complete myth!
    And the reputation of many exists due to the ability of those paid less below them to get the job done. 
    I'm sure plenty of lower paid BBC staff could undertake a senior role just as well. Or even better. 

Or even just capped it say to the salary of an MP. That would be a saving of £17 million. But they probably would still have found a reason for to not approximately 5% of that for the rights to cover Raducanu's final. 

We can't afford free TV Licences for the over 75 but we can afford to pay 253 senior executives an average of £148, 221 each with TV Licence Fee payers money. Oh the irony!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I'm very impressed with Emma on and off the court. I just hope that she doesn't have an allegiance to Crystal Palace.
    And the very reason you say that is she is from Bromley , a palace stronghold where people crave for an SE postcode and all the kudos of being from South East London ….such a palace thing really 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    And the very reason you say that is she is from Bromley , a palace stronghold where people crave for an SE postcode and all the kudos of being from South East London ….such a palace thing really 
    There are roads in the Sidcup area are that are DA15 and adjoin others that are SE9. The insurance rates for for car and home for the latter are much higher than those of the former. Not much to crave there!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Wondering if her panic attack in Wimbledon will be the making of Emma. It was early enough in her career that it could be addressed with a relatively low profile.compared to say Simone Biles where it was all over the news
    It was completely understandable in the circumstances but how she moved on is nothing but remarkable. McEnroe could at least acknowledge that. I think Osaka and Biles dealt with their issues differently, but that's for a different thread
    Think McEnroe got a lot of unnecessary crap from the outraged brigade. What he said was no more or no less patronising than what you’ve said above.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Wondering if her panic attack in Wimbledon will be the making of Emma. It was early enough in her career that it could be addressed with a relatively low profile.compared to say Simone Biles where it was all over the news
    It was completely understandable in the circumstances but how she moved on is nothing but remarkable. McEnroe could at least acknowledge that. I think Osaka and Biles dealt with their issues differently, but that's for a different thread
    Think McEnroe got a lot of unnecessary crap from the outraged brigade. What he said was no more or no less patronising than what you’ve said above.
    Had the interview taken place at Wimbledon, he would have given a very different angle on things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    contrast in style at the 'Met Gala' (2 of the VERY least garish and ridiculous outfits .. still, all done for 'charity')

Osaka and RadacanuEmma Raducanu

Naomi Osaka
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    I didn't say what he said was wrong - what I said  was he has not acknowledged her remarkable success and that she has moved on from what happened.

How is saying someone dealt with something 'differently' in anyway patronising? I made no judgement about whether it was better or not, just 'different'. - you couldn't be misrepresenting what I said, could you?
  • Options
    I probably missed it over the last few days, but did Fernandez explain why she was so riled about the injury time out  ?
    Did she not know there was bleeding ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I probably missed it over the last few days, but did Fernandez explain why she was so riled about the injury time out  ?
    Did she not know there was bleeding ?
    I have a little sympathy for her tbf.
    The person putting a bandage on a little graze took about as long as it would do to do a heart transplant. 
    Talk about look at me.
  • Options
    I thought Ms Fernandez was upset about how often Emma Raducanu threw the ball up to serve but then changed her mind.
    I interpreted her gestures as such.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought Ms Fernandez was upset about how often Emma Raducanu threw the ball up to serve but then changed her mind.
    You may well be correct. 
    I saw it as time wasting. 
    Unless she says something we will never really know. 
  • Options
    I suspect that Fernandez was simply upset because she felt that the momentum had shifted and that Raducanu was using it to her advantage. In doing so, she allowed the situation to envelop her to the extent that she was virtually in tears about it. The fact that there was blood and the game had to be stopped because of that probably didn't enter her head. She focused on what she perceived to be an unfair situation rather than how she was going to use the time to stay focussed on winning the set. 

In the end Fernandez did lose the set but, in the same way as Raducanu reaped the benefit of her Wimbledon experience, I'm sure she will do so from these circumstances too. We shouldn't forget that there is only a matter of  a couple of months difference in age between the two as Fernandez was only 19 last week and Raducanu becomes the same age in November,
  • Options
    I suspect that Fernandez was simply upset because she felt that the momentum had shifted and that Raducanu was using it to her advantage. In doing so, she allowed the situation to envelop her to the extent that she was virtually in tears about it. The fact that there was blood and the game had to be stopped because of that probably didn't enter her head. She focused on what she perceived to be an unfair situation rather than how she was going to use the time to stay focussed on winning the set. 

In the end Fernandez did lose the set but, in the same way as Raducanu reaped the benefit of her Wimbledon experience, I'm sure she will do so from these circumstances too. We shouldn't forget that there is only a matter of  a couple of months difference in age between the two as Fernandez was only 19 last week and Raducanu becomes the same age in November,
    Fernandez and her family didn't realise that it was Umpire who insisted that Emma got treatment, so the delay wasn't something Emma had "created"

seth plum said:
    Surely players abort their serve that way, because they're nervous and as a result didn't get the ball toss right? I can't see any benefit to the server in that situation 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Emma Raducanu: The Fairytale of New York

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i56u5Prp-dY
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    I didn't say what he said was wrong - what I said  was he has not acknowledged her remarkable success and that she has moved on from what happened.

How is saying someone dealt with something 'differently' in anyway patronising? I made no judgement about whether it was better or not, just 'different'. - you couldn't be misrepresenting what I said, could you?
    I’m not sure why McEnroe needs to say anything about her remarkable success though I imagine like 100% of people he’d acknowledge it’s remarkable.

his comment that “it all got a bit much for her” and your comment that “it was completely understandable in the circumstances” do not appear to be patronising to me but clearly would to someone else. That was the point I was trying to 
    make.
  • Options
    contrast in style at the 'Met Gala' (2 of the VERY least garish and ridiculous outfits .. still, all done for 'charity')

Osaka and RadacanuEmma Raducanu

Naomi Osaka
    Amazed she ain’t wearing her headphones 🎧 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You may well be correct. 
    I don't agree.
    I reckon Emma is one of those people who aborts her serve if the toss isn't perfect.
    Ginny Wade was notorious for it.
    Andy Murray guilty too to occasionally.
    I suspect Fernandez was just frustrated at having her momentum checked at a crucial stage and suspected some gamesmanship despite the bleeding evidence to the contrary.
    Once she accepted that the evidence was indisputable she eventually accepted it and didn't pursue it after the match. 
    So in the end she showed some class.
    Just my opinion
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I’m not sure why McEnroe needs to say anything about her remarkable success though I imagine like 100% of people he’d acknowledge it’s remarkable.

his comment that “it all got a bit much for her” and your comment that “it was completely understandable in the circumstances” do not appear to be patronising to me but clearly would to someone else. That was the point I was trying to 
    make.
    How clearly would to someone else? 

I'm still surprised he hasn't commented on her win, considering he commented at Wimbledon
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You may well be correct. 
    I don't agree.
    I reckon Emma is one of those people who aborts her serve if the toss isn't perfect.
    I suspect Fernandez was just frustrated at having her momentum checked at a crucial stage and suspected some gamesmanship despite the bleeding evidence to the contrary.
    Once she accepted that the evidence was indisputable she eventually accepted it and didn't pursue it after the match. 
    Just my opinion
    I see it that she is so disciplined she won't continue with a bad toss - something I had noticed
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You may well be correct. 
    I don't agree.
    Just my opinion
    I see it that she is so disciplined she won't continue with a bad toss - something I had noticed
    I thought it might be nerves given the situation, again would be sensible if so, rather than rushing and hitting it badly, catching it, taking a breath and going again.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You may well be correct. 
    I don't agree.
    Just my opinion
    There's loads do it, how many times do you see a tennis player bounce the ball hundred times before he then serves it into the net. Then repeats. I got fed up watching it for that reason, and then how many aces and lack of rally's were involved. Yes i know its all part of the game but entertaining it isn't.
  • Options
    There's loads do it, how many times do you see a tennis player bounce the ball hundred times before he then serves it into the net. Then repeats. I got fed up watching it for that reason, and then how many aces and lack of rally's were involved. Yes i know its all part of the game but entertaining it isn't.
    The number of long, quality rallies throughout the final was impressive.
    Not a tennis fan at all, but this match was compelling.
    Could have been a very nervy affair with loads of basic errors, but they both played top quality tennis throughout. 
    The scoreline didn’t reflect the quality imo.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You may well be correct. 
    I don't agree.
    Just my opinion
    Depends what tournament you're watching though. Some surfaces are not conducive to rallies. If you're a regular Wimbledon watcher there won't be many great rallies, but if you're watching the French Open there will be plenty.