Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    This is an article from eight years ago:

https://www3.lta.org.uk/in-your-area/Kent/news/February-2013/Emma-Raducanu-wins-Winter-National-10U-Girls-Tournament/

The girl that Emma beat in that comp. Kylie Bilchev, is still playing and actually competed in this year's Wimbledon Girls U18 tournament. That, in itself, is a fantastic achievement and should not be undermined in any way by what Emma has just done. It does put it into perspective though. Who knows? Kylie might now be thinking "I can do that". She might well not get there but I bet if she had that belief she will become an even better player than the one that played at Wimbledon this year.
    She should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky...
  • Options
    There will be a different challenge for Emma now. That obvious weight of expectation from not just the public but, most of all, herself. She isn't going to win every tournament she enters and the real truth is that we don't really know what her legacy to tennis and British tennis ultimately will be. That's the problem she's created by setting the bar so high and so early in her career.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    What an amazing performance.

She’s from a Palace borough but won’t hold it against her.

well done Emma, unbelievable stuff
    Her dad's Charlton
    For sure??
  • Options
    Emma was ice cool, Fernandez was a nervous wreck, that was the main deciding factor ..
    Bloodgate ? .. obviously the match had to be stopped so that Emma could be treated .. almost surreal that it happened when it did, but that is just happenstance.
    Presumably Fernandez was howling at the officials during the medical time out that she wanted to leave the court ? .. this really upset her. Remember however that Fernandez left the court for an extended period after the first set.
    I think that it is going to be VERY difficult for Emma when she comes back to England. The pressure from the media will be almost unprecedented. It might be a good idea if she were to stay a bit under cover until the stardust settles a bit.
    Alternatively she could of course grab at every opportunity to increase her profile and make more than enough money to retire on over the next few months.
    I somehow don't think that Emma is destined for a long tennis career. It is going to be near impossible to come even close to ever matching what she's done over the past few weeks, coupled with the media feeding frenzy. Other career opportunities will arise and she will take them. We will see. Whatever, she has brought a lot of pleasure and joy to an England, indeed a world still reeling under Covid 19.
    Thanks Emma
  • Options
    What are her odds for SPOTY now?
    Similar to those for the Addicks playing in League 2 next season 
  • Options
    Very impressive. Really hope she has a great career. 
    Loved her reaction to fans singing Sweet Caroline 
    Three Lions would have been good.
    With the odd word changed...
  • Options
    Dumbest question ever by the hostess to Henman @how does this compare to actually winning one yourself?”  What an absolute klutz.  He skilfully avoided answering it even if his face said “wtf”. 

Btw Miss Klutz he didn’t actually win one. 

Amazon presentation not a patch on the BBC's Wimbledon coverage IMO
  • Options
    Her colours were definitely Romanian. Born in Canada to Chinese and Romanian parents. A British superstar ?! 
  • Options
    I was approached by a cosmetics brand who want me to try and broker a deal with her team last week.

I think another zero has just been added to the asking price.
    And that's just the commission!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Her colours were definitely Romanian. Born in Canada to Chinese and Romanian parents. A British superstar ?! 

Very much a British super star with an international background is Emma Raducanu.

The Ex British Number 1 Joanna Konta was born in Sydney to Hungarian parents and her home is in Eastbourne since she was 14. Only got British Citizenship in 2013 when she was 21.

So many of the England football team and UK Athletics team have parents and grandparents from Africa and the Caribbean.  

Where Emma is different from Konta and Greg Rusedski she learnt her tennis in England as she has has lived in England since was 2.

......…..

If you know the history of tennis winning a slam as a teenager* doesn't mean you will dominate tennis as Tracey Austin and Maria Sharapova will testify but Emma Raducanu is in the records books and that's is etched on the trophy and our memories.

* Serena Williams is the exception.
  • Options

Very much a British super star with an international background is Emma Raducanu.

The Ex British Number 1 Joanna Konta was born in Sydney to Hungarian parents and her home is in Eastbourne since she was 14. Only got British Citizenship in 2013 when she was 21.

So many of the England football team and UK Athletics team have parents and grandparents from Africa and the Caribbean.  

Where Emma is different from Konta and Greg Rusedski she learnt her tennis in England as she has has lived in England since was 2.

......…..

If you know the history of tennis winning a slam as a teenager* doesn't mean you will dominate tennis as Tracey Austin and Maria Sharapova will testify but Emma Raducanu is in the records books and that's is etched on the trophy and our memories.

Absolutely. Emma was educated here from nursery through to taking her A Levels. Do her school friends think of her as being Romanian or Chinese? Of course they don't. Any more than my parents thought I was Hungarian because that is where my parents were from (albeit I was born here).

There's more to Emma's story though. She is the biggest success story of the Lawn Tennis Association (the national governing body for tennis in Great Britain) because they had on her on their radar and offered her support from a very young age. Unlike Andy Murray.
  • Options
    She's lived here since she was 2. She didn't start playing tennis until she was 5, grew up here, was educated here. 

Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents and moved to London when he was 5. Is he not considered English?
  • Options
    She's lived here since she was 2. She didn't start playing tennis until she was 5, grew up here, was educated here. 

Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents and moved to London when he was 5. Is he not considered English?
    Which shows what a load of nonsense the anti immigration bluster is. If you go back far enough we are all immigrants. And post Brexit, would we even allow Raducanu’s parents into the UK?
    And comparing the photos of Emma to an article about illegal migration is not comparing like for like. Her mother is Chinese and could qualify irrespective of Brexit. And Romania weren't even in the EU when they moved here so they didn't move under Freedom of Movement
  • Options

Which shows what a load of nonsense the anti immigration bluster is. If you go back far enough we are all immigrants. And post Brexit, would we even allow Raducanu’s parents into the UK?
    As Canadian passport holders, with the right visas, they certainly would be allowed to work here at the very least. 
  • Options

As Canadian passport holders, with the right visas, they certainly would be allowed to work here at the very least. 
    I wasn't sure if they had Canadians passports - most definitely not under Freedom of Movement then!

A friend of mine is Chinese and quite upset about being compared to illegal migrants
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why try and shoehorn a nuance free immigration argument into a tennis thread? Go out and enjoy the sun.
    No sun in Sidcup!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. It's gorgeous down here in Folkestone.  
  • Options
    Just goes to prove that the sun, does indeed, only shine on the righteous
  • Options
    Just goes to prove that the sun, does indeed, only shine on the righteous
    Or the devil looks after his own.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    AndyG said:
    Amazon Prime have agreed to share the rights to show the match with Channel 4

Wow that's a massive coup for channel 4. I would think this will smash their record viewing figures
    And another reflection of where sport sits with the BBC - they had planned to show highlights of the match on Sunday morning but have now ditched that. Absolutely pathetic effort as usual.
    Disregarding wall to wall coverage of Wimbledon for 2 weeks every year, plus qualifying, of course. Does that not count?

Is that the last of the great sporting events they have managed to hold onto? The BBC even used to cover the US Open live didn't they? They had the opportunity to show the only female to reach a Grand Slam Final for 44 years and were outbid by Channel 4. Then they pulled the plug on showing the highlights the following morning presumably in a fit of temper of being outbid for the live showing.

Would it be worth considering that C4's advertising revenue gives them an advantage over BBC?   And that deal negotiated between C4 and the rights holder (Amazon) has been structured so that C4 exclusivity runs longer than Sunday morning?  

And, anyway, why does it matter whether it's on BBC, if it's on C4? 
    From the perspective of it being shown on terrestrial TV, absolutely nothing. But from the perspective of missing out on the opportunity to show something in British Ladies tennis that hasn't happened 44 years, they really have missed out. Instead of constantly facing criticism for the way that they have short changed licence fee payers on top sporting events (far too numerous to mention) and for the cost of covering a couple of hours of tennis they could have been showcasing and supporting someone who "I've never seen such a meteoric rise" (Navratilova) and "who makes us want to pick up our racket and play again" (Rusedski and Keothavong). Someone who, potentially, will inspire a nation of youngsters to start playing tennis.

"We did make a competitive bid for the rights to show the US Open final live". Not for the first time in sporting history the BBC executives bottled it. Their definition of "competitive" no doubt. The phrase "price and value" springs to mind. If and when she wins Sports Personality of the Year, instead of showing us footage from today's match, the BBC can show us her leaving the court at Wimbledon in tears. Because they covered that one in every minute detail. Why go to the wedding when you've already been to the funeral?

I do have Prime Video but I am watching it on C4. I just would have loved to have been doing so on a British Broadcasting Corporation channel.

And that is all I am saying on the subject because I want to enjoy the match and cheer her on. Go Emma!!!!

Channel 4 tweeted that 9.2million viewers tuned in to watch Raducanu's match - accounting for a nearly 40 per cent share of total audience last night and a staggering 48 per cent of 16 to 34-year-old viewers.

In 2020 an average of 2.1 million viewers watched the weekend's performance of Last Night of the Proms. That was well down on the average of 3.5 million viewers who watched the show in recent years. 

• Options

......…..

I don’t have a problem with it at all. 
    What language do you think they speak at home ???
  • Options

......…..

They speak English which is Emma's native tongue and the language that links all three of them. Emma was also taught Mandarin by her Mum. 
  • Options
    Women's tennis seems to have very few dominant players at present compared to the men's game. It does make things wide open and there seems to be a higher turnover of top players.

Raducanu now has to cope with a massive amount of attention and hype which I hope she can cope with. It's all happened very quickly.
  • Options

......…..

They speak English which is Emma's native tongue and the language that links all three of them. Emma was also taught Mandarin by her Mum. 
    Nope. Mandarin to mum, Romanian to Dad and English to friends / coaches. She’s a clever girl. 
    If your parents spoke a different language you wouldn’t just speak English to them would you ? 
  • Options

......…..

Polynesian.