Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    Not a bad couple of weeks work (her first qualifier was as far back as 25th August):

Runner up - $1.25m
    Winner - $ 2.50m

That's without the endorsements. A PR company's dream!
    Brands will be falling over themselves to sponsor her now, she's going to make millions.

Fair play to whoever from Nike got her clothing deal signed up early.
  • Options
    Just a thought .. Sakkari was forever looking up and talking at her mother and sister as well as her coach during the match .. how much, if at all, did this affect her concentration and make her tense and over keen to win ? .. 
    Emma's parents were unable to get visas in time for the game .. I reckon that just being watched and encouraged by her coaches put her more at ease than having to 'please' her loved ones .. but who knows how the mind works under pressure
  • Options
    Q1: 6-2 6-1
    Q2: 6-3 7-5
    Q3: 6-1 6-4

R1: 6-2 6-3
    R2: 6-2 6-4
    R3: 6-0 6-1
    R4: 6-2 6-1
    QF: 6-3 6-4
    SF: 6-1 6-4

Just utterly unbelievable. The first ever qualifier, male or female, to reach a major final. I know the whole country is going to be behind her late on Saturday.
  • Options
    Live rankings put Raducanu at world no. 32 after this tournament, should she fall short in the final.

If she were to win, she would land just outside of the world’s top 20.
  • Options
    I think it's safe to say that she won't be playing qualifiers again.
    Incredible young lady.
  • Options
    Quite remarkably, despite being ranked 73 and having knocked out the 5th, 3rd and 2nd seeds to get to the final, Fernandez has been overshadowed.
  • Options
    Amazing, well done Emma.
  • Options
    Just a thought .. Sakkari was forever looking up and talking at her mother and sister as well as her coach during the match .. how much, if at all, did this affect her concentration and make her tense and over keen to win ? .. 
    Emma's parents were unable to get visas in time for the game .. I reckon that just being watched and encouraged by her coaches put her more at ease than having to 'please' her loved ones .. but who knows how the mind works under pressure
    Emma talks about how her parents drilled into her the importance of being "in the moment" and not allowing any negativity to enter her head whatever the circumstances. Bjorn Borg and Roger Federer, two of the coolest players on court, were serial racket abusers when young but their change to showing limited emotion contributed to their success. Some, like McEnroe for example, "letting it all out" might have helped but, for every McEnroe, there will be a Nick Kyrgios who, for someone of his obvious talent, has won next to nothing because of his attitude both on and off the court.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Quite remarkably, despite being ranked 73 and having knocked out the 5th, 3rd and 2nd seeds to get to the final, Fernandez has been overshadowed.

Only in the UK Chris, not the states.
    Fernandez had more publicity after she beat Osaka, Svitolina and Sabalenko.

The final is a 50/50 match. Fernandez would shade it for me as she has experienced close matches, (if Emma lost first set how would she react ?) where Emma has steamrolled opponents. To do that 10 times in a row would seem impossible unless you were the goat, Serena Williams at her peak.

Both Sakkari and Bencic, were disengenuos when saying they didn't play well against Raducanu. I think that's called pressure because of the quality, from the other side of the net. I have spent decades* watching British players lose quarters, semi's and in Andy Murray's case many finals because of the quality of the opponent.

* Yes, you Tim Henman, live at Wimbledon or watching in the middle of the night from Australia. ( I was on center court when TBF Tim won on people's Sunday in his longest ever 5 set match)

• Options

Only in the UK Chris, not the states.
    Fernandez had more publicity after she beat Osaka, Svitolina and Sabalenko.

The final is a 50/50 match. Fernandez would shade it for me as she has experienced close matches, (if Emma lost first set how would she react ?) where Emma has steamrolled opponents. To do that 10 times in a row would seem impossible unless you were the goat, Serena Williams at her peak.

Both Sakkari and Bencic, were disengenuos when saying they didn't play well against Raducanu. I think that's called pressure because of the quality, from the other side of the net. I have spent decades* watching British players lose quarters, semi's and in Andy Murray's case many finals because of the quality of the opponent.

* Yes, you Tim Henman, live at Wimbledon or watching in the middle of the night from Australia.

I meant overshadowed in terms of Fernadez doing incredibly well to reach the final........but then an even younger, lower ranked player reaches the final too, and of course one who came through qualifying, the first ever to do so. So for me Raducanu's achievement is better.

You make a good point about the close matches though. We haven't seen Raducanu tested, ok she went 2-0 down early v Rogers but stormed back early. Her closest first set was 6-3 v Bencic, in her other first sets she's won them to 2, 2, 0, 2 and 1.

How will Emma react if the first set is tight, if it goes to a tie break, or if she even goes 1 set down?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite amazing.
    Raducanu and Fernandez will already be rivals from the Junior Circuit, surely? Does anyone know their record? 
    Roll on Saturday evening.
  • Options
    • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Raducanu and Fernandez met each other for the first time when they were both playing in under-12 tournaments and bonded over their shared connection to Canada. On Saturday, they will share a court for the first time in a tour-level match.

They did play, however, in the Wimbledon junior tournament's second round in 2018.

Raducanu won that one. Three years later, they'll play again — on a grander stage and with much, much more at stake.

• Options
    Quite amazing.
    Raducanu and Fernandez will already be rivals from the Junior Circuit, surely? Does anyone know their record? 
    Roll on Saturday evening.
    No idea and I don’t even know what ER’s junior record was even if there is one. She literally has gone from a Bromley schoolgirl, hitting a tennis
    ball up against the wall during lockdown to the pinnacle of any womans playing career in a matter of months. It is the most incredible sporting story in years.
  • Options
    Absolutely incredible, well done Emma.

Anyone know when the last time 2 unseeded players were in the men's or women's Grand Slam singles final?
  • Options
    Absolutely incredible, well done Emma.

Anyone know when the last time 2 unseeded players were in the men's or women's Grand Slam singles final?
    1937 was mentioned .. this might just be the last women's occasion 
  • Options
    but back in the day there were only 8 seeds, progressing to 16 and then to 32
  • Options
    remember that google is the open door to most questions 
  • Options
    Wouldn’t want to spoil your fun @Lincsaddick!
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    let's hope when you google 'Addickted' is doesn't come up with 'piss taking tosser'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    always available to help the lazy and weak willed
  • Options
    Wonderful!
  • Options
    That’s the last time I try to be vaguely nice to you.
  • Options
    That’s the last time I try to be vaguely nice to you.
    awww .. let's not fall out on Emma's biggest day (so far at least)  :'(
  • Options
    You started it @Lincsaddick but here’s the  ;) I should have put last time too.
  • Options
    You started it @Lincsaddick but here’s the  ;) I should have put last time too.
    lol .. always happy to see a smiling boat race  <3
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    let's hope when you google 'Addickted' is doesn't come up with 'piss taking tosser'
    Shit, I've just Googled "Piss taking tosser" and it came back "Do you mean Addickted?"
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:
    Shit, I've just Googled "Piss taking tosser" and it came back "Do you mean Addickted?"
    now THAT is a real LOL .. now tell google to do one and we can all relax
  • Options
    remember that google is the open door to most questions 
    It didn't have much for quite an obscure (and recent) question, bit Twitter did in the end.  Ish.  Still don't know how long it's been but it's the first time in the Open era:

The first all-teenage women's singles final since Serena Williams v Martina Hingis in 1999.

The first major final featuring unseeded players since the Open Era began in 1968.
  • Options
    Managed to avoid the result and just watched the re-run on SuperSport Tennis.

Amazing talent who seems completely unfazed by everything going on around here. Long may it continue. She's a breath of fresh air.