Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Amazon Prime have agreed to share the rights to show the match with Channel 4

• Options

Wow that's a massive coup for channel 4. I would think this will smash their record viewing figures
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Wow that's a massive coup for channel 4. I would think this will smash their record viewing figures
    And another reflection of where sport sits with the BBC - they had planned to show highlights of the match on Sunday morning but have now ditched that. Absolutely pathetic effort as usual.
  • Options
    Told the missus she could win the tournament after she got into the third round. Real deal. 
    We could do with a British female sports superstar. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    AndyG said:

And another reflection of where sport sits with the BBC - they had planned to show highlights of the match on Sunday morning but have now ditched that. Absolutely pathetic effort as usual.
    Disregarding wall to wall coverage of Wimbledon for 2 weeks every year, plus qualifying, of course. Does that not count?
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Like what you did there 
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Disregarding wall to wall coverage of Wimbledon for 2 weeks every year, plus qualifying, of course. Does that not count?

Is that the last of the great sporting events they have managed to hold onto? The BBC even used to cover the US Open live didn't they? They had the opportunity to show the only female to reach a Grand Slam Final for 44 years and were outbid by Channel 4. Then they pulled the plug on showing the highlights the following morning presumably in a fit of temper of being outbid for the live showing.

• Options
    AndyG said:

Is that the last of the great sporting events they have managed to hold onto? The BBC even used to cover the US Open live didn't they? They had the opportunity to show the only female to reach a Grand Slam Final for 44 years and were outbid by Channel 4. Then they pulled the plug on showing the highlights the following morning presumably in a fit of temper of being outbid for the live showing.

Would it be worth considering that C4's advertising revenue gives them an advantage over BBC?   And that deal negotiated between C4 and the rights holder (Amazon) has been structured so that C4 exclusivity runs longer than Sunday morning?  

And, anyway, why does it matter whether it's on BBC, if it's on C4? 
  • Options
    Can CH4 afford to pay more as will get tv revenue from the ads, which would be more than for whatever was scheduled previously?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They are both public service channels, just funded in different ways. 
  • Options
    Does the match start at 9pm uk time, or just the build up?
  • Options
    Does the match start at 9pm uk time, or just the build up?
    Programme starts at 8, actual game at 9.
  • Options
    It might be just me, but I’m finding the build up show a bit cringe. 
    I can’t help feel like it’s doing the ‘build them up too fast’ thing that British media does to precocious sporting talents.
    The woman presenting is well over the top with the gushing praise.

Like everyone else, I’m amazed by the story and I’m looking forward to it, even though I rarely watch tennis on tv, but I honestly feel like the broadcasting should be a bit more considered and circumspect, and less of a cheerleader.
    Anyway, good luck Emma. 🤞🏼🤞🏼
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Chizz said:
    AndyG said:

Would it be worth considering that C4's advertising revenue gives them an advantage over BBC?   And that deal negotiated between C4 and the rights holder (Amazon) has been structured so that C4 exclusivity runs longer than Sunday morning?  

And, anyway, why does it matter whether it's on BBC, if it's on C4? 
    From the perspective of it being shown on terrestrial TV, absolutely nothing. But from the perspective of missing out on the opportunity to show something in British Ladies tennis that hasn't happened 44 years, they really have missed out. Instead of constantly facing criticism for the way that they have short changed licence fee payers on top sporting events (far too numerous to mention) and for the cost of covering a couple of hours of tennis they could have been showcasing and supporting someone who "I've never seen such a meteoric rise" (Navratilova) and "who makes us want to pick up our racket and play again" (Rusedski and Keothavong). Someone who, potentially, will inspire a nation of youngsters to start playing tennis.

"We did make a competitive bid for the rights to show the US Open final live". Not for the first time in sporting history the BBC executives bottled it. Their definition of "competitive" no doubt. The phrase "price and value" springs to mind. If and when she wins Sports Personality of the Year, instead of showing us footage from today's match, the BBC can show us her leaving the court at Wimbledon in tears. Because they covered that one in every minute detail. Why go to the wedding when you've already been to the funeral?

I do have Prime Video but I am watching it on C4. I just would have loved to have been doing so on a British Broadcasting Corporation channel.

And that is all I am saying on the subject because I want to enjoy the match and cheer her on. Go Emma!!!!

• Options
    Fernandez sounds more relaxed 
  • Options
    Looking forward to this. Also noticed that I can't hear the American anthem without the urge to shout "it's Enrico Palazzo!"
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Fernandez sounds more relaxed 
    Way more relaxed 
  • Options
    Let’s go Emma! Good hold of serve to settle any nerves.
  • Options
    Well there’s one relaxed player on court!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do they not do lets if you clip the net when serving any more?
  • Options
    Breaks at last 
  • Options
    Come on Emma! Thought she'd blown that after missing a million break points. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I think that is noise from Fernandez trainers on court not ball hitting net 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I’ve been thinking the same about serves all tournament… convinced a ton of them are hitting the net when they’re clearly not. Still don’t understand where the noise is coming from…
  • Options
    But it's not just happening on Fernandez's serve. That last one from Raducanu sounded like it clipped the net, but the indicator didn't beep. Perhaps the sensor is not as sensitive?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    But it's not just happening on Fernandez's serve. That last one from Raducanu sounded like it clipped the net, but the indicator didn't beep. Perhaps the sensor is not as sensitive?
    It happens multiple times a match, more often with Emma’s serves… I’m still puzzled by it.
  • Options
    Could be a long night of each game has
    multiple deuces 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    It happens multiple times a match, more often with Emma’s serves… I’m still puzzled by it.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    aliwibble said:
    I think that is noise from Fernandez trainers on court not ball hitting net 
    I think it's both players trainers. The timing of their feet hitting the ground invariably coincides with them landing from their serve and the ball crossing the net