Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

US Open 2021

Comments

• Hairy moments at love 30 behind but holds serve by winning four straight points... one more go round needed.
  • Here we go then, 6-3 5-4. Raducanu to serve for the match.
  • Raducanu's a break up and serving for the match. Very consistent performance thus far.
  • Another superb win. Held her nerve at the end when she went 0-30.

Came through qualifying, has now gone all the way to the semis and she still hasn't dropped a set. Incredible!
  • edited September 2021
    She's done it! 6-3 6-4

First qualifier in the Open Era (male or female) to get to the last four of the US Open.

First British woman to reach the semi-final of the US Open since 1983.
  • and she's done it!
  • What a fantastic display.
  • Another superb win. Held her nerve at the end when she went 0-30.

Came through qualifying, has now gone all the way to the semis and she still hasn't dropped a set. Incredible!
    AND a minimum $800,000 richer  .. she held her nerve superbly in that tense last game
  • Such an impressive performance throughout this tournament. Whatever happens next I just hope the press give her space and don't go stupidly OTT like they usually do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Such an impressive performance throughout this tournament. Whatever happens next I just hope the press give her space and don't go stupidly OTT like they usually do.
    The good thing is she's in the US - the UK press can't qo quite as mad.

She is certainly making news.

Plays the game with a great attitude.
  • I cant quite believe what I am seeing here. It's ridiculous how good she is.

Wonder what odds you would have got for SPOTY a month ago?
  • I have got RSI from shaking my head is disbelief at how flippin amazing she is - I think even her team looked shell-shocked at how she executed that! Wow!
  • edited September 2021
    Women's semi finals must be tomorrow given the final being on Saturday?

You would imagine Fernandez v Sabalenka will be the first contest of the day thanks to that extra day of rest, followed by Raducanu v Pliskova/Sakkari later in the evening.
  • I remember someone (McEnroe?) saying it was good that she went out in the 4th round at Wimbledon to dampen down the hype

Good luck with that now!
  • I cant quite believe what I am seeing here. It's ridiculous how good she is.

Wonder what odds you would have got for SPOTY a month ago?
    She'd certainly get my vote for SPOTY, which is unusual in an Olympic year
  • Simply unbelievable
  • right .. on to the football 
  • Sponsored links:

• Shoe in to get young SPOTY but has to be a contender for the main prize
  • She is a great talent. First time a British woman has got to the US semi since 1983
  • Well that's just fantastic. A local girl, a lovely attitude and she can play darned good tennis 
  • As long as she doesn't support Palarse!
  • Women's semi finals must be tomorrow given the final being on Saturday?

You would imagine Fernandez v Sabalenka will be the first contest of the day thanks to that extra day of rest, followed by Raducanu v Pliskova/Sakkari later in the evening.
    Yes they're tomorrow night, but both evening session US time so by the time Raducanu comes on it'll be 2-3am in England i think.
  • Her projected world ranking is now up to 51 which makes her British no. 1.
  • The girl is just Brilliant.
    Emma doesn't just win, she beats up her opponents.
    A qualifier getting to a semi final just never happens. 
    Wimbledon showed she was a good prospect; USA open 2021 has shown we may have a super star about to take the mantle of Andy Murray as his career winds down. And with more charm and glamour.

My only caveat after seeing Laura Robson appear to be heading for the top 10 after beating a couple of grand slam winners at 18 is her body must hold up to the professional demands. Robson at 27 has seen her dream blown away as wrist and other injuries have seen her as an interviewer not a player. Also Anabel Croft from near by Keston had talent as a teenager but couldn't handle the intense pressure of the circuit.

Emma Raducanu: A star is born.

• The biggest compliment is her obvious ability to learn. Not just from the coachability perspective but from learning from previous experiences. Her anxiety attack at Wimbledon could have remained at the forefront of her mind but she's moved on. She recognises when she's behind in a match what she needs to do to change the situation. Some sportsmen/women (Colin Montgomerie in golf majors for example) never learn that. To do that at the age of 18 is remarkable.
  • The girl is just Brilliant.
    Emma doesn't just win, she beats up her opponents.
    A qualifier getting to a semi final just never happens. 
    Wimbledon showed she was a good prospect; USA open 2021 has shown we may have a super star about to take the mantle of Andy Murray as his career winds down. And with more charm and glamour.

My only caveat after seeing Laura Robson appear to be heading for the top 10 after beating a couple of grand slam winners at 18 is her body must hold up to the professional demands. Robson at 27 has seen her dream blown away as wrist and other injuries have seen her as an interviewer not a player. Also Anabel Croft from near by Keston had talent as a teenager but couldn't handle the intense pressure of the circuit.

Emma Raducanu: A star is born.

Agree with all of this. She hardly played any tennis during covid and doing her A levels, and was even seen hitting shots with her did in ther cul-de-sac where they live!

Apart ftom the increased attention/pressure and expectations, the other issue could be how the increased  workload on her body affects her - but does she need to do that much more when she moves and plays like this already?