Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ukraine vs England - Match Thread

Comments

• Croatia were decent enough and so are Denmark 
    This England is better than 2018 England and probably would and will beat both 
    but give me either of those sides at that point in time in the semi and id be happy , no matter what England we have 

• edited July 2021
    Interesting stat from our Q-final win:

Maguire and Stones made 191 passes,
    183 successfully. 15 passes long, with 10 successful. 

This is the way the academy coaches are mentoring their CB's and many can advance with the ball when the forwards don't close them down.

I earmarked Maguire for great things when seeing him make excellent runs with the ball against Cafc in that Fa cup Q-final defeat in Sheffield.

Stones despite his penchant for cock ups at times is the player I tipped to play alongside Maguire and Joe Gomez in a 3 for England one day, 6 years ago with two attacking full backs outside them.

Feel gutted for Joe Gomez but hopefully he can return to play at the highest level after his recent surgery.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I mean who have we beaten.....

The world cup runners up
    Two Euro 2020 quarter finalists
    Germany

Hardly the dog and duck second elevens are they? 
    But we could only draw with them.

• Well according to the seeding we have had it extremely hard so far....... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Well according to the seeding we have had it extremely hard so far....... 
    Both us and Italy seem to have had similar routes

Group Stages... One from each pot

Knockout Stages...
     - England have faced two teams from Pot 1, one from Pot 3
     - Italy have faced two teams from Pot 1, one from Pot 3

As for the other two
     - Spain have faced two teams from Pot 2, one from Pot 1
     - Denmark have faced one team from Pot 2, one team from Pot 3, now one team from Pot 1
  • se9addick said:
    I've no problem with the Scottish wanting us to lose at football

That guy saying he hates the English is taking it WAY further though.
    He’s a dickhead, but it’s not far off some of the comments on here re Scottish people during this tournament.
    From an English view point, We don’t want Scotland to achieve anything in football because of the rivalry and we see them as a joke team - but in a friendly sort of way (if that makes sense) but the majority of them genuinely hate the English. 

Andy Murray is a classic example. I always want him do to well, even after he slung his “anyone but England” comment in….the crowd at Wimbledon always back him. I can’t imagine that if Wimbledon was in Scotland, and an  English player was playing, would have the same backing. 
    “Anyone but England” was so obviously a joke. 
    Yeh. I'm sure that story has been done to death.
    If I remember correctly, the context was that Tim Henman and Andrew Castle were ribbing Murray mercilessly about Scotland's failure to qualify, so when he was asked who he wanted to win it he replied "anyone but England". Bants.
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

He’s a dickhead, but it’s not far off some of the comments on here re Scottish people during this tournament.
    From an English view point, We don’t want Scotland to achieve anything in football because of the rivalry and we see them as a joke team - but in a friendly sort of way (if that makes sense) but the majority of them genuinely hate the English. 

Andy Murray is a classic example. I always want him do to well, even after he slung his “anyone but England” comment in….the crowd at Wimbledon always back him. I can’t imagine that if Wimbledon was in Scotland, and an  English player was playing, would have the same backing. 
    The “majority” of Scottish people do not “hate the English”. That’s possibly one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read on here which, as a frequenter of the House of Commons part of the site, is a very competitive list. 

Don’t ever confuse something akin to sibling rivalry to actual hatred, if you do it suggests to me you misunderstand both. 
    Fair enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

If I remember correctly, the context was that Tim Henman and Andrew Castle were ribbing Murray mercilessly about Scotland's failure to qualify, so when he was asked who he wanted to win it he replied "anyone but England". Bants.
    Andy Murray has been an incredible representative for the whole of the UK in both Davis Cup and Olympic Games. His wife is English, his children are born and raised in England and he lives in Surrey. Anyone who clings onto the “anyone but England” comment all these years later hasn’t been paying attention. 
    I’ve already said fair enough. 
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Andy Murray has been an incredible representative for the whole of the UK in both Davis Cup and Olympic Games. His wife is English, his children are born and raised in England and he lives in Surrey. Anyone who clings onto the “anyone but England” comment all these years later hasn’t been paying attention. 
    I know mate, wasn’t directed at you 👍🏼

Now enough about Scotland, let’s get back to talking about how England dismantled the Ukraine!
  • edited July 2021
    I would argue the Croatia side we lost to in 2018 are a far better side than the Denmark team that's awaits us on Wednesday.

I would also say we are a far more better team than that 2018 England team and I truly believe we are currently the best international side. Let's hope we can go out and prove it like I know these players can 
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I know mate, wasn’t directed at you 👍🏼

Now enough about Scotland, let’s get back to talking about how England dismantled the Ukraine!
    Sorry mate, I’m being a bit slow today! I think I’m still hungover from Saturday!
  • edited July 2021
    Denmark have had a long old tournament psychological wise. Lost their opening two games, with what happened to Eriksen on top of that. They galvanised themselves with two good performances against Russia and Wales but then had to travel to Baku and play a physical Czech side in the heat. I do wonder how much they’ve got left in the tank in their minds and in their bodies. Dont me get wrong, they will be well up for it, but England in comparison have looked on cruise control.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Still not quite sure how the reigning world champions, who won their qualifying group and are ranked 2nd in the world ended up in pot 2.
  • If we had played on Saturday in Baku, then had to go to Copenhagen on Wednesday to a packed Parken, I would think we would struggle badly, as VG has just said, we played in 1st gear for the last 40 minutes on Saturday, had a quick flight back to an already established training complex, and go in as the home team. 
  • edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Still not quite sure how the reigning world champions, who won their qualifying group and are ranked 2nd in the world ended up in pot 2.
    It was based on the Euro 2020 Qualifying

So Ukraine won their Group (had five teams in it) with 20-pts

France also won their Group with 25-pts but because they were in a Group of six, their results against the bottom placed team got ignored (to create a leveller for those in 5-team Groups) so ended up on 19-pts.

Took me a good five minutes to work that out though
  • I'd be very disappointed if we lost to Denmark. A good side, but we have enough to beat them comfortably.
  • Sponsored links:

• Player for player, we have the better squad. But once you get this far into a tournament, it often becomes more about nebulous and vague concepts like "unity" and "spirit" as it's not always the teams with the best 11 players or even the most depth that make it (e.g. France).

On the other hand, for all that Denmark seem to have a well drilled and united squad, so do we, and the performances/goal tallies increasing as we go proves that.

We can be confident, as long as we're not complacent. (Which I very much doubt we will be for the record.)
  • I would argue the Croatia side we lost to in 2018 are a far better side than the Denmark team that's awaits us on Wednesday, a lot better as well.

I would also say we are a far more better team than that 2018 England team and I truly believe we are currently the best international side. Let's hope we can go out and prove it like I know these players can 
    I think they were an excellent side and were a bit weaker in this tournament as a few of their stars retired from International football post World Cup. Croatia will always be decent though.
  • That Wembley crowd of 60,000 will make a difference as well.
  • se9addick said:
    One thing I do know is that I much prefer watching this England side to the so called golden generation who managed to underachieve on a regular basis.
    Successive managers trying to shoehorn lampard and Gerrard into the same side even though it hardly ever worked.
    Much prefer this lot.
    This team has much more likeable players too, feels like you can connect with them more than with wrongun’s like John Terry. 
    I think they feel a bit more 'normal', not been put on a pedestal like Lampard n Gerrard etc as the 'golden generation', they're younger, there's a lot more hard graft in the squad and they come from a bigger variety of clubs.

There's players like Maguire in there who have been a fan in the stands for the national team as well - they feel a lot more relatable, and the atmosphere in the team is a lot better, led by Southgate who has his own storyline and was an England International himself.
  • Had to go to Harry’s Bar for lunch to celebrate Harrys goals against the Ukraine.