Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ukraine vs England - Match Thread

Comments

• 9 goals for Kane now in 2 international tournaments. The bloke is world class and to think some people said he needed dropping. Absolute madness, the bloke will be a sir by the end of the year.
    I can't even tell you how many people on my twitter feed have been saying he is overrated and needs dropping. 'He's never done anything!!'. Absolutely ridiculous, the bloke has proven he is one of the best strikers in the world for the last 6 years or so at least on a consistent basis. Proud we have such a class player in Kane representing us and what seems to be a top bloke and all 
  • se9addick said:
    Right. Had a few

Pixkford 9/10
    Stirling 10/10
    Cane 9/10
    Stone 9/10
    Shore 9/10

Southgate 10/10 can we name a station after him?
    Shore?
    Not sure.
  • se9addick said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Sandgaard double parking pints of Guinness, Charlton shirt on watching the England match... What a man
    Think he might actually be triple parked!
    Needs to be saving his energy for his pudding!
  • 9 goals for Kane now in 2 international tournaments. The bloke is world class and to think some people said he needed dropping. Absolute madness, the bloke will be a sir by the end of the year.
    it's a similar thing to Shearer. he hadn't scored an international goal for 2 years prior to euro 96 and some of the press wanted him dropped. thankfully El Tel knew what a player he had, just like Southgate does
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant photo mate.
  • edited July 2021
    Kane was awful prior to today and even for 84 minutes against Germany. He has also looked unfit. The criticism was justified. To keep playing a striker like that in the hope they suddenly turn it on is a risk, especially in knockout football. There's no guarantee they will hit form. Whether or not you think the risk is worth it is a matter of opinion and not that controversial IMO. We persisted with him in a similar run of form at the last Euros and he never showed up.

It's the manager's call at the end of the day and fortunately it's worked out in this one. That left-foot volley said Kane has arrived. And thank god, couldn't be happier. 

• Its happening again. Those bastards England have made me start to dream we could actually do it. I haven't been as invested in this tournament as i have been in previous tournaments but now I've dug out the lightning seeds record, found my old st Georges flag at the back of the wardrobe and believe it could very well be coming home! 
  • edited July 2021
    cafctom said:
    To put it in perspective, that 0-0 with Scotland was 2 weeks ago. Some people wanted Southgate lynched after that game. 
    How we've played since proves how wrong he got it that night. Should have wiped the floor with them! We had an off night and have been superb since, all has been forgotten 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

• https://youtu.be/icxEXm-jjKQ

That almost, almost, undoes 31 years of hurting since THAT night in Turin. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Classic on the Radio - Scottish caller said he can’t bear the thought of England winning the Euros. They asked him what the problem is, and he said “I can’t stand English people” they then asked him where he lived. “I live in England” 

I’ve got an idea £uck off back ‘up the road’. 
    No doubt that ginger spotty c*nt McLean will have his Denmark shirt on Wednesday. We live rent free in these peoples heads.
  • Right. Had a few

Pixkford 9/10
    Stirling 10/10
    Cane 9/10
    Stone 9/10
    Shore 9/10

Southgate 10/10 can we name a station after him?
    Disgusting that a Charlton fan can be so ignorant of Train knowledge ;)

https://tfl.gov.uk/tube/stop/940GZZLUSGT/southgate-underground-station

That was supposed to be the joke. Good job he isn't called Cockfosters I suppose. 😆

In my defence I was drunk, fortunately now soberish.
  • edited July 2021
    Chunes said:
    Kane was awful prior to today and even for 84 minutes against Germany. He has also looked unfit. The criticism was justified. To keep playing a striker like that in the hope they suddenly turn it on is a risk, especially in knockout football. There's no guarantee they will hit form. Whether or not you think the risk is worth it is a matter of opinion and not that controversial IMO. We persisted with him in a similar run of form at the last Euros and he never showed up.

It's the manager's call at the end of the day and fortunately it's worked out in this one. That left-foot volley said Kane has arrived. And thank god, couldn't be happier. 

I have to disagree. Nothing wrong with criticising his performances but would you drop Mbappe or Ronaldo after poor performances? The answer is no and it’s the same with Kane. He’s world class and pretty much irreplaceable for England.
    Is Ronaldo a false comparison? He's one of the greatest players ever to play the game. He owns the entire pitch, he's the focal point of everything. Don't remember ever seeing him play badly. Especially not for an extended period.

Mbappe.. yeah I would drop Mbappe if he was abysmal for four games of a knockout tournament. But it's just a matter of opinion really and I can see the other side of the argument. It all comes down to whether you think it's worth the risk or not. I really will never forget Harry Kane in euro 2016.
  • What can I say that hasn't already been said? Well, I've never seen such a complete and dominant performance from an England team in all my life, which goes back to the 1970 World Cup (I was too young to appreciate 1966). And the best thing is we're actually getting better with each game right now.

I'm confident we'll have too much for Denmark on Wednesday (sorry Thomas!).

Likewise, I'm confident Italy will overwhelm Spain on Tuesday, so it's an England v Italy final.

That's going to be a hell of a game! As things are, I'd have to fancy Italy to win, but as I said, England are improving.

What is certain however - we've never had a better chance of a major honour.
  • What can I say that hasn't already been said? Well, I've never seen such a complete and dominant performance from an England team in all my life, which goes back to the 1970 World Cup (I was too young to appreciate 1966). And the best thing is we're actually getting better with each game right now.

Likewise, I'm confident Italy will overwhelm Spain on Tuesday, so it's an England v Italy final.

That's going to be a hell of a game! As things are, I'd have to fancy Italy to win, but as I said, England are improving.

What are the quarantine rules for Italians flying to London?

Whilst there are obviously a few italians living in the UK, if the majority can't travel then i think you have to take England to be favourites in front of a roaring 90k home crowd. 
  • Could hardly believe what I was witnessing last night, calm, assured, playing within ourselves, sending out a signal without giving too much away. It was a near perfect performance and the cherry on the cake being Chris Powell's involvement that must surely warm the hearts of all Addicks. 

Cant wait for Wednesday now, no one would want to play us at the moment P5,W4,D1,F9 A0 its a great time to be an England Fan.       
  • edited July 2021
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    To put it in perspective, that 0-0 with Scotland was 2 weeks ago. Some people wanted Southgate lynched after that game. 
    How we've played since proves how wrong he got it that night. Should have wiped the floor with them! We had an off night and have been superb since, all has been forgotten 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Partly true but wiping the floor with the Scots was never the plan in a group game where you want to conserve as much energy as possible so you are not knackered for the KO matches.

We had 3 points and 1 point was needed from the Scotland Match:  only two teams going home from 3rd place so 4 points would always get you through. We were negative that night and it was Scotland's final yet for England we were looking at getting through 6 matches to get to the final. Do we stick or twist ? That evening and Southgate admitted he made mistakes we stuck and it looked like an error when he did not go pro active in his subs but not to lose was his priority. We were so hesitant in that game which shouldn't have happened, but Southgate realized we must never get caught in two minds again. 
    So bizarre that Gareth and the team took criticism on the night they qualified for the KO stage with one match to go. Some went past constructive criticism with folk on CL calling for him to be sacked ! 
    I said I wondered why he didn't give Sancho at least 30 minutes ( or the whole game) because we needed some energy in the team as we were having a meltdown because of the mixed messages.

We got our 4 points as well another controlled performance against the Czechs.

In KO against Germany and Ukraine we went up two gears but always keeping to the game plan which was ball retention until you see the opening and then go long if we can get behind the defense or quick one two's and Shaw as the outlet on the left as well as Sterling and Sancho who changed sides to keep their defenders dizzy.

What are the quarantine rules for Italians flying to London?

Whilst there are obviously a few italians living in the UK, if the majority can't travel then i think you have to take England to be favourites in front of a roaring 90k home crowd. 
    60k for the final mate. Point still stands though.
  • Answering my own earlier question here, regarding whether the referee has discretion to ignore added on time.
    Law 7: The Duration of the Match

A soccer match is comprised of two 45-minute halves, with extra time added for each at the referee’s discretion. The halves are separated by a half-time period not to exceed 15 minutes. The extra time generally corresponds with the referee’s determination of how much time was taken up due to substitutions and injuries. The amount of extra time is announced and displayed at the half line at the end of each 45-minute period. Although soccer does have an allotted time limit, it is ultimately up to the referee’s as to when to end a match.

• limeygent said:
    Answering my own earlier question here, regarding whether the referee has discretion to ignore added on time.
    Law 7: The Duration of the Match

A soccer match is comprised of two 45-minute halves, with extra time added for each at the referee’s discretion. The halves are separated by a half-time period not to exceed 15 minutes. The extra time generally corresponds with the referee’s determination of how much time was taken up due to substitutions and injuries. The amount of extra time is announced and displayed at the half line at the end of each 45-minute period. Although soccer does have an allotted time limit, it is ultimately up to the referee’s as to when to end a match.

It did make me laugh that Ukraine had 3 subs lined up on the touchline in the 89th minute ready to come on with Shevchenko obviously just wanting to give some squad guys a few minutes..............and then the ref blew dead on 90 before they could even get on.