Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine vs England - Match Thread

May as well get it started.

Will he rest players on a booking? Personally think he should play the strongest team available at this stage of the competition.

Comments

• Options
    Definitely play our strongest team as Ukraine will be well up for this.
  • Options
    Foden in for Walker would be my only change . No need to have three centre half’s . 
  • Options
    I'm not so sure tbh. Would Henderson coming in for rice or Phillip's upset the team that much ? Likewise Mings for Maguire or one of the many options for Foden ? That's the joy of a strong squad surely why risk a suspension if you dont need too
  • Options
    Mings for Maguire I agree is a fair enough swap. 

Henderson has only managed 45 minutes at most so expecting him to start and play most of a match is risky. 

The central midfield has been the same throughout the tournament and have been two of our better performers, so replacing both at once does threaten continuity and the protection they've given the defense. Which taking out Maguire would risk more too. 
  • Options
    Won't be as easy as some fans think but expect Southgate to work out the best way to beat Ukraine.

A less than pretty 2 - 0 with late goals from defenders
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mings for Maguire I agree is a fair enough swap. 

Henderson has only managed 45 minutes at most so expecting him to start and play most of a match is risky. 

The central midfield has been the same throughout the tournament and have been two of our better performers, so replacing both at once does threaten continuity and the protection they've given the defense. Which taking out Maguire would risk more too. 
    I do agree with @Cafc43v3r, reckon we'll only see one of Rice or Phillips replaced with Henderson rather than both dropping out so if one gets booked, Henderson can replace the other in the Semi-Finals - Reckon too we'll still see Maguire at the back with Mount coming in for one of either Walker or Trippier.

Its just that horrible sort of situation you see all too often in a Football game, where you just worry that Maguire will be forced into making a yellow card challenge because a scenario has been forced upon him, a bit like the Sterling backpass on Tuesday.
  • Options
     I think Henderson may start ahead of Rice - don’t think he will want to risk both midfielders missing the next game (should we get there)

Would be nice to be in a position to take Maguire and Phillips off after an hour. I don’t see Foden being involved anyway.

Personally I think pick the best team,  get to the semi final and worry about any missing players later on. 

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Cannot rest players for the quarter finals of the Euros. I remember similar conversations before we played Iceland, as if it was a foregone conclusion. Rest assured those Ukrainian lads will give it 250% and put in the effort of their lifetimes. I don't think it's the time to be resting key players.
  • Options
    It's worth bearing in mind that Henderson and Maguire were injured before the tournament.

Henderson would probably have played by now if he hadn't been.  Can Maguire play a 3rd game in quick succession?  Will Southgate want "minutes" in Henderson?

I think they are considerations we can't, but Gareth has to, make. Because quite frankly we don't know. 
  • Options
    May as well get it started.

Will he rest players on a booking? Personally think he should play the strongest team available at this stage of the competition.
    The luxury we have of course is that we now have a lot of good players.

Going through the 4 players on a yellow.

Maguire - only just returning from injury so to play every 3-4 days must be tough on him and Mings did very well in the first 2 games. I'd rather Maguire was a bit fresher for the semi final.
    Rice/Phillips - i'd personally rest Rice and play Henderson. That doesn't weaken us as it's arguable Henderson would be one of the first names on the team sheet had he not got injured.
    Foden - don't think he will play anyway, as we haven't missed him the last couple of games and we have a number of players who can play there. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I think he'll play the same side. We've got enough depth to handle suspensions if/when they come. 1-0 England, lots of Ukrainians in the book.
  • Options
    I would rest Rice for Henderson, Rice was cramping up against Germany and Mings for Maguire for fitness again. Keep the rest the same, I don't see that as a massive risk and Hendo and Mings should be more than adequate to get past Ukraine, no disrespect to them
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Croydon said:
    I think he'll play the same side. We've got enough depth to handle suspensions if/when they come. 1-0 England, lots of Ukrainians in the book.
    He surely won't play the same side with a back 5 against a team who will almost certainly sit back. 

I'd expect us to revert to 433. Trippier out with Walker moving across to right back, replaced by an extra midfielder (either Mount or Grealish).
    He might not make any other changes but personally i'd rest Rice for Henderson and Maguire for Mings.
  • Options
    Of the two I think Southgate would rather risk a Phillips suspension than a Rice one. 
  • Options
    Ukraine haven't used the same system all tournament, so it's a bit of a guessing game trying to match up. 
    Mings for McGuire, as I'd say he needs more recovery time after being out so long.  Henderson for Rice, just to freshen it up, rice was struggling a bit with cramp. 

If we go 4231 I'd rest Walker. Sako to start in the advanced 3 with Sterling and Mount, although the risk is that I think the Ukrainian boys are big lumps, so we may needs bit more muscle, so Grealish instead of Sako. 

If we go a couple of goals up, I'd sub Stirling for Sancho at some point. 
    The depth we have makes it pretty difficult to pick a team that may need tweaking. 

What I won't do this game is slate GS, I've learnt my lesson, and he's deserving of respect, but I'll probably say 'Stirling is bloody frustrating' at some point, probably just before he scores!  ;) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who do we have booked currently?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rice, Philips, Foden, Maguire
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Ah.

I was going to say protect those that are booked by resting them, or at least benching.

I didn't realise it was Rice, Phillips & Maguire. (Not skipping over Foden, but he's less of a booking risk imo)

Is rice even fit for the game?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Ah.

I was going to say protect those that are booked by resting them, or at least benching.

I didn't realise it was Rice, Phillips & Maguire. (Not skipping over Foden, but he's less of a booking risk imo)

Is rice even fit for the game?
    Everyone trained today before they departed for Rome
  • Options
    Saka is an injury doubt apparently after getting a knock in training. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Saka is an injury doubt apparently after getting a knock in training. 
    That's shit.

Fingers crossed he's okay.
  • Options
    What's the news re Ukraine injuries? 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Definitely play our strongest team as Ukraine will be well up for this.
    What is our strongest side???
  • Options
    What's the news re Ukraine injuries? 
    I think Yarmalenko is a big doubt. Even if he plays he’s not gonna be fully fit.
  • Options
    Has to pick the strongest 11. Imagine the criticism if he rests a few and we get knocked out. I think the team will be:
    Pickford
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
    Phillips, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Grealish

Could be Foden for Grealish with Sterling down the left but I've got a feeling he'll go with Grealish as he was the one who came on and did the business. Personally I'd start both instead of Mount and go 4231 but Southgate is the manager who has kept 4 clean sheets, 3 wins and got us here so whatever he goes with is fine by me.