Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine vs England - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Talk Ukraine will give us no problem is fool hardy - too many mid-ranking teams have pushed supposed top ranked sides hard already in this tournament.

I agree that we need to pick the best side, but that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be changes. Is Maguire a better option than Mings given Maguire’s fitness pre-tournament? Is Rice and Phillips the right pairing or would a fresh pair of kegs that haven’t started every match and aren’t worried about a booking sharpen things up a bit in the middle? Do we even need both holding mids in there or could we maybe bring in someone like Mount rather than a Henderson? Or is it time to introduce Bellingham as more all round midfielder?

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we treat this like a Premier League side would treat a 3 round home tie against a league one side in the league cup and pick the reserves, it’s just about using the squad depth to our advantage to keep things fresh and everyone sharp. It could yet be a trump card - Spain and Italy have not had the luxury and have been taken to extra time. Long way to go before England are in a final, but having the less tired legs could be a massive advantage if we get there and are seriously saying we couldn’t beat Ukraine with Rice or Phillips?

Not an easy call either way, I trust Southgate to get it right. I do think one more attacking midfielder could be helpful in a game where we are likely to have take the initiative. “Resting” at least Maguire makes sense too IMO. 
    Don’t think that would be sensible for a game of this magnitude. Players need to focus without helping themselves to a Budweiser or Lowenbrau during the game.
  • Options
    Come on England 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Talk Ukraine will give us no problem is fool hardy - too many mid-ranking teams have pushed supposed top ranked sides hard already in this tournament.

I agree that we need to pick the best side, but that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be changes. Is Maguire a better option than Mings given Maguire’s fitness pre-tournament? Is Rice and Phillips the right pairing or would a fresh pair of kegs that haven’t started every match and aren’t worried about a booking sharpen things up a bit in the middle? Do we even need both holding mids in there or could we maybe bring in someone like Mount rather than a Henderson? Or is it time to introduce Bellingham as more all round midfielder?

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we treat this like a Premier League side would treat a 3 round home tie against a league one side in the league cup and pick the reserves, it’s just about using the squad depth to our advantage to keep things fresh and everyone sharp. It could yet be a trump card - Spain and Italy have not had the luxury and have been taken to extra time. Long way to go before England are in a final, but having the less tired legs could be a massive advantage if we get there and are seriously saying we couldn’t beat Ukraine with Rice or Phillips?

Not an easy call either way, I trust Southgate to get it right. I do think one more attacking midfielder could be helpful in a game where we are likely to have take the initiative. “Resting” at least Maguire makes sense too IMO. 
    Don’t think that would be sensible for a game of this magnitude. Players need to focus without helping themselves to a Budweiser or Lowenbrau during the game.
    Ducking autocorrect. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    If yarmolenko doesn't play then I think we should beat them comfortably. He’s basically Ukraine’s shaqiri, always turns up on the international stage 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Who’s wearing their colours then?

2002 World Cup lost 2-1 to Brazil in the QF. C’mon England!
  • Options
    Not concerned with German officials for tonights match, in fact I think it'll work in our favour. If they do their bit to help us progress to the final and win it, then at least they can have the consolation of being beaten by the winners, rather than a team that limped out in the next round to an inferior Ukraine team ;)
  • Options
    Ukrainians step out in style

Female soldiers in Ukraine marching in high heels
  • Options
    I'm a bit concerned about the heat it's 30C in Rome atm & still expected 28C/82F at KO.
    (I know Ukraine aren't used to heat either).
  • Options
    Not taking anything for granted but you have to think that in order for us to lose tonight it would need a pretty big under performance from the team and I just cant see this squad allowing that to happen they seem far too grounded and focused 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm a bit concerned about the heat it's 30C in Rome atm & still expected 28C/82F at KO.
    (I know Ukraine aren't used to heat either).
    They have an extra half an hour in their legs, could make an big difference. 
  • Options
    So nervous, even though I received gutting news yesterday that I contracted Covid at last Tues game, so will miss attending the semi if we make it.

I would have no issue ‘resting’ those on yellows. If those replacements are not good enough, what does it say? In my mind they are more than capable and competition for spaces is always a good thing. At the very least I’d whip them off if we’re winning comfortably at any stage.

Confident it will be harder than most predict but that Southgate will just about see us home.

I’m sure they will park the bus and look to hit us on the counter whilst being more than happy to end up at pens. We often struggle breaking teams down in these scenarios, so I think we’ll need to be more creative and agile than recently.

Very mindful we have a performance like that vs Scotland in us, so am in no way complacent.

Come on England, make history!! Two semis on the trot puts Southgate up there behind Ramsey.
  • Options
    @tom_k did you decide to go in the end?
  • Options
    Ps - was at the qualifiers in Ukraine in 09 when we lost 1-0 and in 2013 when we drew 0-0 (I think). Got a kicking at the first one too, so def after some revenge but realise these games are never, ever easy.
  • Options
    Off up the local to watch this one. Only problem is its walk in only, no bookings. So a 4 oclock start to hopefully get our seat.
    It’s a hard life.
  • Options
    So nervous, even though I received gutting news yesterday that I contracted Covid at last Tues game, so will miss attending the semi if we make it.

I would have no issue ‘resting’ those on yellows. If those replacements are not good enough, what does it say? In my mind they are more than capable and competition for spaces is always a good thing. At the very least I’d whip them off if we’re winning comfortably at any stage.

Confident it will be harder than most predict but that Southgate will just about see us home.

I’m sure they will park the bus and look to hit us on the counter whilst being more than happy to end up at pens. We often struggle breaking teams down in these scenarios, so I think we’ll need to be more creative and agile than recently.

Very mindful we have a performance like that vs Scotland in us, so am in no way complacent.

Come on England, make history!! Two semis on the trot puts Southgate up there behind Ramsey.
    Yeah I’m in the mindset that we got our stinker out the way with Scotland. Hoping we don’t allow ourselves to turn in a similar performance.
  • Options
    Without sounding arrogant, I don't feel any nerves at all. This group have a better mentality and overrall are a higher skilled group than the so called 'golden generation' imo.

I reckon we will win 3 goals to nil and thoroughly enjoy it, cannot wait 
  • Options

Out of interest do you prefer seeing England away over Charlton away?
    I can see why as you get to go to countries across Europe rather than Shrewsbury or Accrington or whatever. Must cost a fair bit though to see England in other countries.  
  • Options
    Had a great day on the beach but nerves have set in now. Doesn't often happen that anyone rolls over to get their tummy tickled in a quarter final, and I expect Ukraine will hve done their homework. In Gareth we trust.
  • Options
    no nerves or apprehension on my part .. if we can't beat Ukraine despite the heat, hostile crowd and tough opponents, then we just don't deserve to progress in the tournament, it's that simple
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Out of interest do you prefer seeing England away over Charlton away?
    I can see why as you get to go to countries across Europe rather than Shrewsbury or Accrington or whatever. Must cost a fair bit though to see England in other countries.  
    Both equally as good in different ways mate. Most Eng aways the game is meaningless but the trip is quality and you see some great places you’d never otherwise visit. Charlton games usually matter more. But Carlisle away would be up there with any England trip. But if you’re comparing 3 nights in Riga, Tallin and Helsinki ( for Estonia away) with a few hours in Reading then there is only one winner. Same on the cost unfortunately.
  • Options
    Leaked lineup confirmed apart from Walker right back.
  • Options
    Off up the local to watch this one. Only problem is its walk in only, no bookings. So a 4 oclock start to hopefully get our seat.
    It’s a hard life.
    It certainly is when you turn up 4 hours before kick off and are turned away because it's already packed out 😭
  • Options
    I think we start fast and blizt Ukraine, then rest those on yellows. 

England 3-0
  • Options
    no nerves or apprehension on my part .. if we can't beat Ukraine despite the heat, hostile crowd and tough opponents, then we just don't deserve to progress in the tournament, it's that simple
    Are we expecting a hostile crowd, out of interest?
  • Options
    Ashley Cole on ITV saying his penalty miss v Italy in 2012 haunts him and we had a great chance.

I didn't even remember.  We were shit, we deserved to lose, and we'd have lost the Semi anyway.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Yet England haven't needed to run so much. We've won by playing sensible and reading games. 

I'm all for the headless chicken approach it's my favourite way to play*, but it's not a winning approach when eventually it catches up with you.

*Sarcasm to clarify
  • Options
    Ukraine have drawn the last 2 games against us.  Last 4 they have 1 win so do we.  
  • Options
    Happy with the team selection. A few beers and a few ciders in so less nervous. 3-0 Engerlnd. C'MON.