Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Options
    That can't be real. Must be a joke and he was visiting there because a mate plays for them or something?
  • Options
    A wind up,  ignore it.
  • Options
    Luke Rooney Glebe manager in the picture is his agent 
  • Options
    As has been said Luke Rooney is Glebes manager and they are having a shocker of a season relative to the expectations.  I’m not sure he’s Burstows agent but he was his mentor and is a good friend.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Badger said:
    Stansfeld v Glebe Friday night 7:45pm KO.

At Glebe FC Foxbury Avenue Chislehurst.

That is a real local Derby as Stanfield play at Glebe's ground in Foxbury Avenue. Luke Rooney took over in the close season and I know he is an agent, player and coach now.
    Step 5 and Mason Burstow is just having a day out catching up with Luke and some players his age from youth football.  Luke did the rounds in recent years after dropping out of full time pro football and I believe their paths crossed at Welling United 19/20 season if not before that time.

Glebe finished 3rd last season behind the mighty Chatham town and Sheppey and as is usual at that level the players move on as well when manager Harry Hudson left to go to Sevenoaks in Step 4.
  • Options
    Mason Burstow is 20 on Saturday and this is his first chance to play with many 1st team players in a 'competitive' match.
    Ok friendly. 
  • Options
    Game is live on Sky Sports 
  • Options
    Getting absolutely slaughtered by Chelsea fans on twitter 
  • Options
    Would expect him to be on loan somewhere by the end of the window , somewhere in League 1 probably.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smithy said:
    Getting absolutely slaughtered by Chelsea fans on twitter 
    Was gonna say I hope he don't search his own name tonight 

Wanted to see the general consensus of his debut so typed burstow into seach and struggling to find one positive tweet
  • Options
    Most of what I could see on Twitter was "needs a loan", which isn't unreasonable.
  • Options
    I saw “still looks raw”. LOL. To me he’s still like a kid who won a competition. I’m sure he can deal with a bit of criticism.
  • Options
    Quite a random looking Chelsea lineup. Great experience for Burstow though, going on such a pre-season tour
  • Options
    I still maintain we pulled Chelsea's pants down on this deal. Still, it was a cheap gamble for them and a massive windfall for us, which shows the gulf between the 2 clubs. They can afford to sell him on cheap, or even for free and wouldn't even notice it, which is exactly what will happen in the next year or two.
  • Options
    I still maintain we pulled Chelsea's pants down on this deal. Still, it was a cheap gamble for them and a massive windfall for us, which shows the gulf between the 2 clubs. They can afford to sell him on cheap, or even for free and wouldn't even notice it, which is exactly what will happen in the next year or two.
    You don't say.

😂😂😂
  • Options
    Yet they let Leaburn go who so far apart from the injuries seems a better bet. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    I think when the signed Burstow Leaburn had only just started to break through? From memory?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    buckshee said:
    I think when the signed Burstow Leaburn had only just started to break through? From memory?
    They let Leaburn go before he joined Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Mason may have been at Chelsea for a bit as a kid before he was at Welling, or am I making that up?
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    In fairness a club like Chelsea probably release kids every year who would be good enough for league one.
    To use the CL house or car analogy, it's a bit like car dealers. A main dealer gets a trade-in and will check them out and most likely punt them onto smaller used car dealers or direct to auction. The money made is irrelevant. A small dealer who takes on these cars needs to make a profit or at least break even, so will be more astute.

If we are to buy the likes of Burstow we need to be sure hes ready, if unsure he needs to appear underpriced. Sadly these are unproven youngsters or journeymen are our market place. 
  • Options
    I think Mason may have been at Chelsea for a bit as a kid before he was at Welling, or am I making that up?
    Think he had trials at both Charlton and Chelsea when he was @ Maidstone, think we moved quicker
  • Options
    Think he had trials at both Charlton and Chelsea when he was @ Maidstone, think we moved quicker
    Cheers FA, thought I was going mad.
  • Options
    I remember there being some real tantrums on here when we 'only' got £1.7m and a sell-on (and a loan back) for a player who had 2 L1 goals and 4 cup goals against Pizza Cup or non-league opposition. He's not quite 20 yet and there's plenty of time for him to improve but based on where he was and where he is now you've got to say that's a pretty great bit of business. If he fails to progress and Chelsea release him at the end of his contract then that £1.7m is going to look pretty good. If he advances enough to get sold to a lower Premier League or Championship team we'll get some money on top of that. The only way we lose out is if he improves so much he becomes Chelsea's 9 for the rest of his career, which doesn't seem massively likely.
    As usual a thoughtful post, and I say that as someone who threw such a tantrum. 

There is though a little bit of alchemy to add into your otherwise impeccable analysis of what's happened to him so far. What would have happened if that Chelsea bid had not happened, or if we had told them to eff off at least until the end of the season - specifically how would he have adapted mentally as an 18 year old to that scenario as opposed to the one that has unfolded? The problem in these situations is always how does an 18 year old - everyone stop and think what you were like as an 18 year old - react to the sudden onset of guaranteed unthinkably huge wages compared with your peers?
    It's basically unknowable as is how different is the outcome if that does not happen, or not for another crucial year or two.

It's not even a new phenomenon of the Chelsea player farm as it is today. One of the first victims of the Abramovic era in this respect was of course Scott Parker, going from adored starlet of a team pushing for Europe to dossing around Esher pissing away his huge new salary in the bookies. He recovered up to a point, but he had all the attributes to be an England mainstay for years, yet finally got a cap when he was what, 30?
  • Options
    I remember there being some real tantrums on here when we 'only' got £1.7m and a sell-on (and a loan back) for a player who had 2 L1 goals and 4 cup goals against Pizza Cup or non-league opposition. He's not quite 20 yet and there's plenty of time for him to improve but based on where he was and where he is now you've got to say that's a pretty great bit of business. If he fails to progress and Chelsea release him at the end of his contract then that £1.7m is going to look pretty good. If he advances enough to get sold to a lower Premier League or Championship team we'll get some money on top of that. The only way we lose out is if he improves so much he becomes Chelsea's 9 for the rest of his career, which doesn't seem massively likely.
    The tantrums weren’t necessarily because people thought he was worth more than that, they were because with the money sloshing about in the Prem and the money Chelsea have, we could have got a lot more. We’re in an age where completely average players (relatively) go for 10 million and flop.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    If Mason Burstow doesn't lose his ambition after being on 10k a week at 18 then he will have a decent career possibly as high as the  Championship as the lad is only 20 this Friday and can score.
    Of course Chelsea wankers are going to slag him off.
    He was so raw at Cafc and I've heard from professional coaches he had been impressing in the U21 at the odious Chelsea made rich by dirty Russian stolen money.

Now American money is behind thrown at the blues.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Thought Jonny Bairstow wasn’t even good enough as a wicketkeeper let alone a striker? ;)  
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    buckshee said:
    In fairness a club like Chelsea probably release kids every year who would be good enough for league one.

Chelsea release kids every month who could be good enough in time for League 1.
    From 12 to 16 runs into hundreds of kids who need a good support group to go else where and try again.
    Obviously this is similar at most Premier clubs but Chelsea do also seem to love keeping players on loan so I wouldn't be surprised if Mason Burstow goes out on more loans until he is 22 until he is finally released and League 1 or Championship beckons depending on progress and ambition of the player.