Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce - (p11 - retires and joins Academy as coach)

Comments

• Options
    got to be honest, not a fan of him as coach. Think he’s a massive flapper and quite cynical as a defender. Don’t really fancy a person coaching us who’s heights is a league one promotion player, we should and could be aiming for higher than that, sick of us being a charity for people to earn a wage. 

Warrior spirit, proper Charlton etc bla bla. The reality is I’ve watched that bloke be skinned and have to pull someone down for 4 seasons straight or occasionally win a ‘proper battle’ with an average league 1 striker  here and there. 

Thanks for your time but no thanks. We have become far too sentimental, accepting mediocrity at the club 
    Yeah I’m not entirely sure about the coaching thing either. Just going on Pearce as a player, I’m not sure he has an amazing skill set that it’s absolutely vital we have him pass on to the next generation of Charlton players. Additionally, and quite frankly, the last thing we need is another inexperienced member of our coaching team. 
  • Options
    I'd like him to stay as a coach. He likes Charlton and I imagine his family are settled. He could also offer old school methods with the new. Plus he's a popular guy to have around so makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Disappointed to one extent, but if he was one of our harder decisions whether to offer a new deal then hopefully its a good sign that we are going to have a massive clear out come the summer, certainly of those out of contract.

I mean of late we've barely seen Purrington so thats surely another sign that he'll be now off too
  • Options
    Great bloke but time to go. Echos of Christian Dailly in 2011.
  • Options
    Time will tell if this is a good decision or not. A centre half that can play 35 plus games to replace Pearce (and be half decent) will show a statement of intent. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Just hope we can replace him with someone decent, younger more mobile etc.

All the best Jase with your future, always tried your best and tried to bring the best out in others, which you can’t put a price on.

My missus is going to be gutted, as she thinks he’s got lovely blue eyes! 💕 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The right decision, we’re letting him go before he’s completely declined like Arter has done.

Impossible to judge him as a coach, you can have a warrior on the pitch who get his teams playing a modern possession style. Let’s see where he ends up, can’t assume he’s being offered a first team coaching role. He may also decide to play on for a couple more years.

Good luck to him, he’s been an important player for us. Could be the last in a long time to stay with us for 6 seasons, unless Morgan wins a new contract.
  • Options
    Never let us down and a good leader so I just wish him all the best, awful time for players as their age catches up with them and they still consider they have 1 or 2 seasons left in them. Who we bring in will determine whether it’s the right decision by the club. 
  • Options
    Based on nothing but I think Pearce might make a decent coach someday 
  • Options
    Have always liked Pearce. He’s a great bloke outside of football as well as in. Although I have had to bite the bullet and shell out on new season tickets, I won’t turn up week in and week out to watch the dross I have watched this season. My own view is that we won’t get promotion with this owner, he hasn’t got a clue. We will wait and see. 
  • Options
    The right time to call it quits. A great servant to the club. I hope we find him a background role. Thanks Jason.
  • Options
    People should remember he has been a great servant to this club.....I wish him well in his next career move, thanks Pearcey for everything...but I guess now is the right time....good luck in the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to him in his next move.  Has always given 100% and never hides.  He’s had some very decent contributions over the years and deserves a good send off, however, for me, this is the right decision.  

We need to push on now.  I think he’s probably going to be this year’s Pratley.  A lot of people will be pro keeping him on in some capacity, but if we’re honest, what would’ve Pratley added this year that would’ve made a significant difference to where we finished?  The answer is negligible.  That’s how I feel about Pearce.  

You’ve also got to factor in that if we want to keep him as player/coach, that’s a spot gone.

as Braziliance says, we’re too sentimental at times.  We need to push on. If Pearce leaving is followed by Matthews, Purrington and Inniss, I’d say there’s signs of a higher intent potentially 
  • Options
    I like purrington hope we keep him  
  • Options
    The correct and only decision in my opinion.

Purrington, Innis and Matthews also need to leave.
  • Options
    Never let us down and a good leader so I just wish him all the best, awful time for players as their age catches up with them and they still consider they have 1 or 2 seasons left in them. Who we bring in will determine whether it’s the right decision by the club. 
    Disagree on that bit, as with Pratley letting him go is the right decision regardless of who comes in. We could get someone worse but it’s the right choice to give us the chance to improve.
  • Options
    I'm seeing this as a good sign overall. Pearce is probably "good enough" for another year, especially as a back up option, he'll do a job.

But we need to be aiming higher than just "good enough" if we are going to be serious about promotion. If we're playing 3 CBs we should have 4-5 who are all good enough to start, not 3 first choice and a couple of back ups - the same could be said across the whole team of course but for me the defence is our weakest point right now. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    thenewbie said:
    I'm seeing this as a good sign overall. Pearce is probably "good enough" for another year, especially as a back up option, he'll do a job.

But we need to be aiming higher than just "good enough" if we are going to be serious about promotion. If we're playing 3 CBs we should have 4-5 who are all good enough to start, not 3 first choice and a couple of back ups - the same could be said across the whole team of course but for me the defence is our weakest point right now. 
    I’m conflicted on whether our defence or midfield is the weakest part of the team, sure we let too many in, but we don’t create and score enough either.

• Options
    A very loyal and gutsy defender, but time is time and it has arrived. Thank you Jason!

This is a positive indicator of direction from SG, TS, MS and JJ for me. This is not a window for sentimentality.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    thenewbie said:

I’m conflicted on whether our defence or midfield is the weakest part of the team, sure we let too many in, but we don’t create and score enough either.

I think it is the midfield if you include the wingbacks.  If we play 352 then they have to provide the width, so we need to be able to play two like CBT.  However when under pressure we need to also keep the ball, so we need a decent couple of midfielders to go into the mix, both good enough to start.
  • Options
    I don’t understand how anyone can feel genuinely happy about Pearce going, I think he still had something to offer as a backup option & as a experienced leader.
    I'm glad he's off. Too slow & loves a foul. We cant keep offering contracts to old or injured players. Time to move on.
    Spot on. Having Pearce on the bench may prevent players like deji from progressing.

great servant to the club and I would love to see him stay on in some capacity, glad it's not as a centre back though!