Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Pearce - (p11 - retires and joins Academy as coach)

Comments

• Didn't someone say on the rumours thread that they'd seen Pearce and Aneke at The Valley yesterday?

Does this mean Chuks will be announced later today?
    Only a twitter rumour, Sage then said he'd not seen anyone
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    Sorry but I can't share everybody's optimism here, he had the occasional good performance last year but mostly bad, think especially with our injury record he may play up to 30 times next season, and he isn't a top league 1 CB anymore.
    Let's start the moaning...
    Start?  Did it ever stop?
    No matter what the club does, someone will moan about it..
    Yeah thats life mate, not everyone is going to have the same opinion, infact it would be f*cking weird if everyone did.
  • Good news now hopefully the Chucks situation can be brought to a head and we can get on with bringing some more in  
  • Sorry but I can't share everybody's optimism here, he had the occasional good performance last year but mostly bad, think especially with our injury record he may play up to 30 times next season, and he isn't a top league 1 CB anymore.
    if he has to play more than ten games we are in trouble, any less than that and we may cope, just.
  • He was third choice last year behind Inniss and Famewo. This year he'll be fourth choice. Deji our fourth choice ended up playing 17 games last year owing to the injury pile up. I'd be shocked if Pearce ends up playing more than 10-15 games.
  • I'm pleased for Pearce, I hope his coaching comes good, but in terms of the team I'd have to say just whelmed.
  • Good news. You need people like Pearce in the dressing room.
    Best place for him. Very clumsy defender & is prone to fouling players in & around the box.
  • Pearce said on website “I’ve loved my time at Charlton. Everyone knows I love this club, it’s the longest I’ve been at a club and I see myself staying here for a long time. I’m glad the club feel that way too.

“The manager has said I’ll be back up to whoever they bring in, which I respect. I’ll still fight for my place and do the best I can to get in the team – that is what I have done throughout my career. It’s a different role for me now though and any signing that comes in, I will help, even if they play in my position.”

Atkins said “ I am really pleased club captain Jason Pearce has re-signed for another year. It is very important to have good senior players at the football club to act as role models for the young players coming through and Jason’s experience will be beneficial for the squad in our ambitions at the football club

Great attitude from JP there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Our 4th choice CB when were promoted in 11/12 was Gary Doherty.  The pre season (before Morrison, Cort, Taylor were signed) there was lots of moans he was still around.  If we get a decent pairing who stay fit and very few suspensions this will be a good signing.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Our 4th choice CB when were promoted in 11/12 was Gary Doherty.  The pre season (before Morrison, Cort, Taylor were signed) there was lots of moans he was still around.  If we get a decent pairing who stay fit and very few suspensions this will be a good signing.
    I don't really understand this though, he will be a good signing as long as he dosnt play much? Why can't we have a CB who is actually competition 
  • He's a decent support signing and his contract seems to include coaching duties. 

I don't mind it. I find the other one more concerning. 
  • This is good news, will still be a key player in the squad and great leader to help the team 👍
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Our 4th choice CB when were promoted in 11/12 was Gary Doherty.  The pre season (before Morrison, Cort, Taylor were signed) there was lots of moans he was still around.  If we get a decent pairing who stay fit and very few suspensions this will be a good signing.
    I don't really understand this though, he will be a good signing as long as he dosnt play much? Why can't we have a CB who is actually competition 
    Because signing 2 will be hard enough....... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    But it is necessary to build a top team, lots of free agents about.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    But it is necessary to build a top team, lots of free agents about.
    Mate we are in league 1.  It's funny how so many people swallowed the line that we didn't sign a center half who was better than Oshilaja/Pratley/Gunter in January because there weren't any now think we can magic 3 up better than Pearce. 
  • Great news.... JP is proper warrior who always gives his all regardless of any negativity. Need more like him!
  • Happy to hear this.....I’ve always liked the fella, both on and off the pitch.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Every side needs a squad, 46 games plus cup games and potentially play offs. Its far easier to retain someone and who is happy to play games but not kick up a big fuss when dropped, than signing 3 new cente halfs (alongside Innis) knowing full well once you get to the 1st game of the season and one of them is 4th choice, particularly when they may have signed a deal longer than a year (unlike Pearce) and we are stuck with them at the end of the season
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    JohnnyH2 said:
    We can, but what if he gets injured? The answer isn't to have a squad of the very best players available, you are going to have different levels. Pearce is the sort of player that means we can play him a centre half instead of say Watson there if we entered into a crisis.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    We will. Just not Pearce. Most of the season happens on a training ground and behind the scenes and that's where you need experience and an example,to keep up morale and encourage team work and spirit and that is exactly what Pearce can bring.

If over the course of a season he gets a few cup games and chucked on to see out a few games here and there, well that's just a bonus.
  • Hmmm. 
    Not surprised, as I heard he was viewing houses locally, but is he as good as he was ?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry but I can't share everybody's optimism here, he had the occasional good performance last year but mostly bad, think especially with our injury record he may play up to 30 times next season, and he isn't a top league 1 CB anymore.
    I think it's a decent outcome for a good pro. Whilst I think he can do a job in certain games at league one level, I am glad the signal is that he won't be first choice.

If we assume we need 4 CBs for the first team squad and Barker isn't considered ready at this stage, then all we had was Inniss before Pearce re-signed. We still need to replace Famewo and Oshilaja. I think that is enough of a challenge for Gallen et al on top of all the other positions for which we need to sign new players, all of course within a budget.
    What about the 2 players ahead of Barker in the u23s last season?

Barker has the potential to be a very good player but so do others who are older, and nearer, the first team squad than him.  Maybe one of them will be 4th choice, maybe not. 
    Do you think either of the u23s are ready? I only mentioned Barker because Bowyer (I know he has left so his opinion may not matter to Adkins) played him in an emergency ahead of the u23s.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I think it's a decent outcome for a good pro. Whilst I think he can do a job in certain games at league one level, I am glad the signal is that he won't be first choice.

If we assume we need 4 CBs for the first team squad and Barker isn't considered ready at this stage, then all we had was Inniss before Pearce re-signed. We still need to replace Famewo and Oshilaja. I think that is enough of a challenge for Gallen et al on top of all the other positions for which we need to sign new players, all of course within a budget.

Barker has the potential to be a very good player but so do others who are older, and nearer, the first team squad than him.  Maybe one of them will be 4th choice, maybe not. 
    Do you think either of the u23s are ready? I only mentioned Barker because Bowyer (I know he has left so his opinion may not matter to Adkins) played him in an emergency ahead of the u23s.
    Because he didn’t count as a player in the squad unlike if we used an I23 they would have taken up a space for the whole season.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Because he didn’t count as a player in the squad unlike if we used an I23 they would have taken up a space for the whole season.
    Whatever. I still think it will be hard enough to sign 2 reasonable centre backs let alone 3.
  • He often gets lumped in with Pratley and Watson as a veteran, but Pearce is only 33, so not that old.
  • He often gets lumped in with Pratley and Watson as a veteran, but Pearce is only 33, so not that old.
    I'd argue not old at all!😂