Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rule changes you would like to see

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:
    Automatic start of the match bookings for players with unacceptable haircuts. This will continue every game until the issue is resolved.
    I'd also like to see bookings for incompetence. Sometimes players do something so bad I can't believe the ref doesn't lose his temper and book them just for being bad. Foul throws, attempted crossfield passes that end up on the moon, shots on goal that hit the corner flag. Get in the book.
    Plus glove wearers.

All goalkeepers must wear long sleeved kits.
    ... and all boots should be black.
    Nowadays, if you see someone wearing black boots, if looks odd.
    It looks like they've forgotten their real boots and are playing in the shoes they wore to the ground
  • Options
    Anyone falling over theatrically, especially wearing a red and blue striped clown outfit, should be penalised. (no guesses as to who this is aimed at)

Not sure most of the issues that rile me are to do with the rules of the game, more the inconsistent refereeing. 

• Options
    CatAddick said:
    Missus came up with one last night watching the wales game.  No substitutions allowed during time added on to stop running the clock down
    I don’t even get that?
    How is it running the clock down when the ref adds 30secs for every sub?
    I no understandy 🤷‍♀️
    But referees don't add on 30secs for substitutions! 

They make a subjective estimation of what they "think is about right"!

Usually bears little resemblance to what would be calculated by simple arithmetic.
  • Options
    Removing the rule that players who have been treated for an injury have to then leave the field before coming on, which achieves nothing as play stops while the players is being treated, and can hurt a team if a key players is then missing from the field for the resulting play
    This.

It was only brought in for the 1994 WC in the States where players were taken off in a golf buggy, treated & then allowed back on. The idea was to speed up play. But the "take off on a buggy" part never happened after the WC and so we reverted to the norm of a player being treated on the pitch. But then FIFA forgot to scrap the "allow to come back on again" and so you got the scenario of the player being treated AND then having to go off the pitch. 

• Options
    cafcfan said:
    bobmunro said:
    Timing taken away from the ref, clock is stopped when play is halted (injury, substitution, players arguing with the ref etc) and game finishes next dead ball after time is up. 
    Disagree - the referee controls the clock and only they can decide whether or not a stoppage in play warrants a stop to the game clock.
    Except it works perfectly well in Rugby League and Aussie Rules, and probably other sports.  It also takes away from the Ref a minor inconvenience that might distract him from other more important duties and is likely to provide a more accurate stoppage time than we often now get.
    In rugby, the referee signals to the timekeeper to stop and start the clock (time on/time off) - not all stoppages result in the clock stopping and that is at the sole discretion of the referee. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Automatic start of the match bookings for players with unacceptable haircuts. This will continue every game until the issue is resolved.
    I'd also like to see bookings for incompetence. Sometimes players do something so bad I can't believe the ref doesn't lose his temper and book them just for being bad. Foul throws, attempted crossfield passes that end up on the moon, shots on goal that hit the corner flag. Get in the book.
    Plus glove wearers.

All goalkeepers must wear long sleeved kits.
    Absolutely, this short sleeve goalkeeper nonsense is an epidemic and must be punished, possibly by death.
    Also, while I'm at it, points deductions for inappropriate squad numbers. Chelsea's in particular have got out of control and must be addressed. Holding midfielder wearing 7? Centre half wearing 2? Playmaker wearing 5? This cannot stand
  • Options
    Players should not be allowed to have their first name on the shirt. How pretentious! They assume that we know who they are already. They deserve a rousing chorus of 'who are ya?'
  • Options
    All goal kicks to be taken from the sde the ball left the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VAR used on clear and obvious mistakes. 15 seconds to decide, otherwise it wasn't clear or obvious. 
    VAR to be used to immediately red card players for simulation, especially injury simulation where no contact occurred. (above rule applies)

Dave Rudd said:
    You can change a million and one things ... but you have to ask 'what problem are you trying to solve?'

VAR?  Don't get me started.  Let's simply use it to establish whether the referee made a 'clear and obvious error'.  If the VAR officials are having to agonise over borderline offsides (for example) then the referee has NOT made a 'clear and obvious error' ... so the original decision (even if incorrect) should stand.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Keeper time wasting resulting in a corner to the opposition is a good one. 
  • Options
    Monkey Rush
  • Options
    When oh when is football going to learn from other sports and take the time keeping away from the ref ?
    There is no logical reason to leave the decision to the man in the middle. 
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Missus came up with one last night watching the wales game.  No substitutions allowed during time added on to stop running the clock down
    I don’t even get that?
    How is it running the clock down when the ref adds 30secs for every sub?
    I no understandy 🤷‍♀️
    But referees don't add on 30secs for substitutions! 

They make a subjective estimation of what they "think is about right"!

Usually bears little resemblance to what would be calculated by simple arithmetic.
    I think rarely the ref adds extras on for subs after 90 mins, especially not 30secs.  During the game 'substitution time' may go into some random algorithm that pops out with four minutes added.  Looking back at the Wales game again last night; how many extra extras were added? about a minute maybe.  Most of that was to do with the argy bargy and the yellow cards - I'm sure the Welsh sub wasn't taken into account and no time was added following the 2nd goal celebrations.
    Personally it doesn't bother me, just I thought I'd share what a 'take-it-or-leave-it' attitude to football person commented
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    All goal kicks to be taken from the sde the ball left the pitch. 
    Just take it from the nearest point to where the ball ends up. No need do anything else. Doesnt matter what side it went off at.
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday.  I mean just no!  Get rid.
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday.  I mean just no!  Get rid.
    Or any club that plays in a Sainsbury's car park.
  • Options
    Goalkeepers need less protection. They have the advantage of being able to use any part of their body, but get given free kicks if an attacking player even brushes them at an incoming corner. 
  • Options
    Straight red for diving 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Extra time - remove 2 players from each team every five minutes ... this will hopefully remove the lottery of penalties.
    & throw on a second ball!! 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    One serious, one frivolous. (You can decide which is which). 

1. Re-starts following goals can be taken immediately, by the team that has just conceded. This would stop protracted goal celebrations, with all eleven players running up to the corner flag and wasting time after a goal is scored.  Instead, the team conceding can kick off as soon as they can retrieve the ball and get it back to the centre circle.  (If an opponent boot the ball away, it's an automatic yellow card).  

2. Monkey goalies. 

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Chizz said:
    One serious, one frivolous. (You can decide which is which). 

2. Monkey goalies. 

Very harsh on David Marshall 😉.
  • Options
    Once you take the ball over the halfway line into the opposition half you can’t take it back into your own half. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Once you take the ball over the halfway line into the opposition half you can’t take it back into your own half. 
    Similar to the backcourt rule in basketball.

Maybe also the 10 second rule to get into your opposition’s half of the court, although would have to be more than 10 seconds. 
  • Options
    Once a goal is scored, you have 30 secs to get back in your own half, if not the team that has just conceded, can kick off.
  • Options
    Only the captains can approach the ref/linesmen.
    Blatant goal line deliberate hand ball (Ala Suarez v Ghana in 2010 World Cup) results in a red card and goal given with no penalty kick.
  • Options
    Blatant goal line deliberate hand ball (Ala Suarez v Ghana in 2010 World Cup) results in a red card and goal given with no penalty kick.
    So in summary, you want football to mimic rugby?

I don’t have an issue with your first point, but I do not agree with ‘penalty goals’.
  • Options
    You cannot give a goal that never was. 

Penalty sure.
  • Options
    edited June 2021