Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rule changes you would like to see

This is a perennial close-season favourite, so here is the opportunity for you all to suggest rule changes you would like to see in the game of football. Mine are listed below - not all particularly original but ideas that I believe could improve the game.

Cards - the adoption of three cards, yellow, orange and red. Yellow would be for lesser offences and act as an initial warning; two yellows would make an orange, which can also be awarded straight for a more serious offence not worthy of a red card. An orange card means a 10-minute suspension, ending at the next dead ball after 10 minutes. An orange and yellow make a red, which is dismissal from the field of play. A straight red can also be given, as now, for the most serious offences.

Offside - a layer cannot be offside receiving the ball from a free kick or a kick from the goalkeeper. Too often, players are fouled to give defences time to get back and reorganise. This way, an attacker could be behind the defensive wall giving advantage to the team offended against.

Kick-off - revert back to the traditional kick-off. This was almost a ritual and I have no idea why it was changed. 

End of halves - half time and full time to be the next dead ball after time is up, unless that is for a direct free kick in which case the game will continue until a subsequent dead ball.

Handling a goal-bound shot - if the referee (or VAR) is satisfied that a goal would have been scored had the ball not been handled by a defender, the referee can award the goal and caution the defender. 

VAR - each team to have three appeals per half; appeals upheld would be retained. If the players and officials cannot see someone offside by a gnat's todger, it is ridiculous to minutely examine a goal on video to see whether it should be disallowed.

Any other views or ideas?

Comments

• Time Wasting... If your pissing around then the decision gets given to the opposition, Goal Kick becomes a corner, free kick becomes a drop ball to the other team - Throw in simply gets given to the other side.
  • Scrap VAR. 
  • Removing the rule that players who have been treated for an injury have to then leave the field before coming on, which achieves nothing as play stops while the players is being treated, and can hurt a team if a key players is then missing from the field for the resulting play
  • Throw ins… Throw ins in the defending half of the pitch can instead be taken with your feet. 

I think that the team that wins a throw in in their own half are quite often at a disadvantage as they lose a defender (in most occasions) to take the throw. Watching Charlton over the years, the amount of times we’ve had a throw in our half and cocked it up and conceded is criminal. But the odds are stacked against the defending team. I think this change could help readdress the balance.
  • Players deliberately blocking free kicks whilst palpably not retreating 10 yards.
    Gillingham are by far and away the worst offenders of this, with players racing 20+ yards to become involved. You have no right to be there, clear off.
    Ref’s seem very reluctant to bring out a card.😤😡😤
  • Removing the rule that players who have been treated for an injury have to then leave the field before coming on, which achieves nothing as play stops while the players is being treated, and can hurt a team if a key players is then missing from the field for the resulting play
    Or, if the injury was as a result of a foul, both players have to go off. It seems unfair that the team that is fouled gets to restart a player down.
    With Jason Pearce in your team, the game would never end! 
  • edited June 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure what but would like something to change when teams make a cynical foul to stop an attack. They get so much of an advantage from it and a yellow card doesn't seem enough. The team being fouled should at least be able to take the freekick whenever they are ready and not have to wait for the other team to get everyone back in position
  • Players deliberately blocking free kicks whilst palpably not retreating 10 yards.
    Gillingham are by far and away the worst offenders of this, with players racing 20+ yards to become involved. You have no right to be there, clear off.
    Ref’s seem very reluctant to bring out a card.😤😡😤
    This is also one of my pet hates. I remember 1 game in particular when everytime we got a free kick we effectively had to pass it backwards to get the game moving. Frustrating 
  • I really don't think there's much wrong with the laws as they are.

I would scrap VAR - goal line technology stays but that's it as far as assisting the officials. Offside is the lino's call. 

Can't be offside from a free kick? That would lead to a dozen players on the goal line!

Handling a goal bound shot? Red card and a penalty - not a 'penalty goal'.

I haven't got an issue with ending the game on a hooter, as long as the referee has the option of stopping the clock for lengthy delays.
  • Extra time - remove 2 players from each team every five minutes ... this will hopefully remove the lottery of penalties.
  • Time-wasting at the corner flag: You should be allowed to kick any player who is shielding the ball within 5 yards of the corner flag as hard as you like without conceding a free kick.

Penalty kicks: When a penalty is awarded, two shackles come out of the ground which hold the keeper's feet to the ground. As the ball is struck, a sensor detects impact of the ball and releases the keeper's feet from the shackles automatically, so that the keeper can move.

• Timing taken away from the ref, clock is stopped when play is halted (injury, substitution, players arguing with the ref etc) and game finishes next dead ball after time is up. 
  • Timing taken away from the ref, clock is stopped when play is halted (injury, substitution, players arguing with the ref etc) and game finishes next dead ball after time is up. 
    Sky would love that, everytime the game was stopped they'd run a 15 second ad. Before you know it, a game would take 5 hours like with American Football
  • Missus came up with one last night watching the wales game.  No substitutions allowed during time added on to stop running the clock down
    Disagree - the referee controls the clock and only they can decide whether or not a stoppage in play warrants a stop to the game clock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Automatic start of the match bookings for players with unacceptable haircuts. This will continue every game until the issue is resolved.
    I'd also like to see bookings for incompetence. Sometimes players do something so bad I can't believe the ref doesn't lose his temper and book them just for being bad. Foul throws, attempted crossfield passes that end up on the moon, shots on goal that hit the corner flag. Get in the book.
    Plus glove wearers.

All goalkeepers must wear long sleeved kits.
  • Addickted said:
    Automatic start of the match bookings for players with unacceptable haircuts. This will continue every game until the issue is resolved.
    I'd also like to see bookings for incompetence. Sometimes players do something so bad I can't believe the ref doesn't lose his temper and book them just for being bad. Foul throws, attempted crossfield passes that end up on the moon, shots on goal that hit the corner flag. Get in the book.
    Plus glove wearers.

... and all boots should be black.
  • bobmunro said:
    Timing taken away from the ref, clock is stopped when play is halted (injury, substitution, players arguing with the ref etc) and game finishes next dead ball after time is up. 
    Disagree - the referee controls the clock and only they can decide whether or not a stoppage in play warrants a stop to the game clock.
    Except it works perfectly well in Rugby League and Aussie Rules, and probably other sports.  It also takes away from the Ref a minor inconvenience that might distract him from other more important duties and is likely to provide a more accurate stoppage time than we often now get.
  • One serious, one frivolous. (You can decide which is which). 

1. Re-starts following goals can be taken immediately, by the team that has just conceded. This would stop protracted goal celebrations, with all eleven players running up to the corner flag and wasting time after a goal is scored.  Instead, the team conceding can kick off as soon as they can retrieve the ball and get it back to the centre circle.  (If an opponent boot the ball away, it's an automatic yellow card).  

2. Monkey goalies. 
  • CatAddick said:
    Missus came up with one last night watching the wales game.  No substitutions allowed during time added on to stop running the clock down
    I don’t even get that?
    How is it running the clock down when the ref adds 30secs for every sub?
    I no understandy 🤷‍♀️
  • Once a goal is scored, only the Ref is allowed to retrieve the ball - any player, from either side, handling or kicking the ball will receive an automatic booking. It would stop this complete and utter nonsense of seeing players wrestling for the ball with one side trying to delay a re-start whilst the other wants to get on with the game.
  • Addickted said:
    Automatic start of the match bookings for players with unacceptable haircuts. This will continue every game until the issue is resolved.
    Plus glove wearers.

Oh cmon... You cant make Buffon wear a long sleeved kit!! - It wouldnt be Buffon!!
  • bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:
    Plus glove wearers.

... and all boots should be black.
    Nowadays, if you see someone wearing black boots, if looks odd.
  • Kick off at the valley to be 3pm.
    Not 3.03 or 3.04.
    Get the sponsors of quicker and kick off on time.
    And especially Tuesday evening matches. If the game's over before the oppo have turned up we're in with a good chance ;)