Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

City v Chelsea CL Final - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I’ve watched absolutely zero football this season outside of Charlton.  I couldn’t believe the quality on show tonight, particularly the first half.  Complete night and day.  I might not have noticed it as much had I been watching top level football as much as I used to, but the only thing I can liken it to was being locked in a dark room for a year, and then seeing light again.  

I know this might sound obvious, given the gulf in class, it’s just an observation of literally only watching us this season and then seeing how quickly and open both teams were.  
    Spot on mate. In same view as you that I’ve only watched Charlton games this season (and the Europa League final), so tonight’s pace was unbelievable. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I’ve watched absolutely zero football this season outside of Charlton.  I couldn’t believe the quality on show tonight, particularly the first half.  Complete night and day.  I might not have noticed it as much had I been watching top level football as much as I used to, but the only thing I can liken it to was being locked in a dark room for a year, and then seeing light again.  

I know this might sound obvious, given the gulf in class, it’s just an observation of literally only watching us this season and then seeing how quickly and open both teams were.  
    Agreed. Said exactly the same to my mates in my whatsapp group.

You watch that, and then us, and you think we are playing a different sport at times!

Mind you, in fairness, we haven't spent about £500 million on players!
  • Options
    Think that's what you call 'doing a number' on a team.

As expected Chelsea strangled a flourishing city side.
    Game changers like Foden,Mahrez and De Bryne didn't get a sniff.

Where does this leave Guardiola?
    Who knows.  He may well think he's taken this side as far as he can.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Agreed. Said exactly the same to my mates in my whatsapp group.

You watch that, and then us, and you think we are playing a different sport at times!

Mind you, in fairness, we haven't spent about £500 million on players!
    Deffo.  Not for one second am I thinking that is the sort of quality we should be seeing, simply an observation that having had a a season of Pratley buying fouls in the middle of the park because he can’t pass a ball forward, it was like watching a completely different game.  I was watching it with my dad and when Chelsea scored, we’d probably still have players getting up from taking the knee, we’re that slow in comparison 
  • Options
    Brilliant sight just then, Chilwell, James and Mount all sitting in centre circle having a chat.  
  • Options
    What a lovely fella Mason Mount is, even if he is a Celsea chunt 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Chelsea looked the only winner through the whole game. Big step up performance and a big blot against Pep.

Tuchal is very likeable. What an appointment that’s proved. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Pep set his side up wrong tonight. Chelsea deserved winners 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Where does this leave Guardiola?
    Who knows.  He may well think he's taken this side as far as he can.
    Yes, he needs to move on to a bigger club with more resources to compete for the top honours  ;)
     Don't necessarily think that's his mindset.
    He was bought in to win this trophy. He's failed to a fella who's been at Chelsea for 5 minutes.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    James had the  better of Sterling and Chilwell had the better of Mahrez.
    Important battles to be won and as much as I detest Chelsea they always had the edge.
    A strange decision to play Gundogan in the Fernandinho or Rodri's role ?  Pep is the master but he seemed more like the pupil tonight.

Kante was my MOM and probably most fans. 
    City had a false number 9 and Chelsea had a false number 9 as well in Werner ! Not sure what has happen to the super confident striker from Leipzig ? He still run the flanks well but he has disappeared in the box. His timing has gone and on one occasion the ball hit his standing leg after he swung his leg at the ball.

James is looking favourite for the Right back shirt for England and Chilwell may get ahead of Shaw if he can emulate his performance tonight. Mount is an awesome talent and with his buddy Foden give England so much energy, skill and young legs to force their way into the Euro England side.
  • Options
    The only ones who look worse than Pep tonight are the owners of PSG, who look like downright idiots.
  • Options
    Excellent refereeing to indicate where the ball hit the player. Wish we saw more of that from referees, remember an Asian ref in the EFL who did it at the Valley one game

Really helps clarify their viewpoint 
    Jarnail Singh. He was a brilliant ref. 
    Yeah thats the fella...

I actually think he got in trouble for something

Edit: Cant find anything though 

He is now a Referee Assesor for the FA. His two sons doing very well as referees. One has just been promoted as an assistant referee the the championship with the other refereeing in the National league and set to be promoted to the football league this summer. Following in their fathers footsteps. 
  • Options
    Posting without reading. 

Chelski deserved winners on the night. 

But how on earth was Rudiger still on the pitch after that shoulder to KDB's face? If that was with an elbow that would've been a straight red and he made no attempt to play the ball. Looked like KDB was totally out of it afterwards. 
  • Options
    If only Kante was English
  • Options
    Referee was brilliant!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tuchel gotta be the most dislikable manager going. Despise him and Chelsea
  • Options
    As others have said, completely bizarre selection from Guardiola. You've played a certain way for most of the season and dominated PSG with a formation................but then change it in the most important game in your history. If City don't get to another final under Guardiola, i think last night will haunt him. No idea what was going through his head to change and play that way. 

Chelsea had 5 at the back and 2 defensive midfielders (one of whom is Kante who is pretty much 1.5 players) so City crowding the midfield/attack was just going to make things more congested and give Chelsea even more space when they broke. With no DM to break up Chelsea's play they were getting through all the time and if Werner could finish they might have been 2 up inside the first 20 minutes.

Not sure what City will do now, i wonder if this will piss Guardiola off so much that he goes out and spends another 2-300m. 
  • Options
    Stefco said:
    SamB09 said:
    Why are they both playing in blue?
     I asked that question to my son in law. Neither of us could understand that . It would  not have been allowed in days gone by.
    It's 2 completely different shades of blue, & they don't clash.

It makes a change to see sides actually being able to wear home colours in a game.

Normally, some wacky 3rd or 4th kit in luminescent vomit comes out for the occasion, just to sell more of them.
    That would have clashed with the officials.
  • Options
    Tuchel gotta be the most dislikable manager going. Despise him and Chelsea
    What????  You can’t be serious, think he comes across as a really nice bloke (and an excellent manager given what’s been shown since he arrived). 

I get people don't like Chelsea but I can’t see how that similarly applies to Tuchel 
    Yeah, I'm not getting the hate for Tuchel. The bloke's not been in the country 5 minutes and I can't remember him getting involved in any touchline twattery or saying something stupid enough to wind me up. 
  • Options
    Was Reece James a CAFC fan then?
  • Options
    Good all round from Chelsea against an underpowered Citeee .. Kanté M O M .. that engine of his keeps on running and running .. good game to watch as both sides seemed unafraid to lose .. that is what the fans want, good attacking football, even though there were few shots on target and neither keeper was called on to make a really great save,