Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Is be interested to know how Purrington and Jephcott know each other……
    Me too.

Were they at Plymouth with Randell?
    Both at Reading with Roddy?
  • Nixon FFS.

We won't be getting Kirk then 👎
  • Kirk would be a fantastic signing, hopefully the type that gets us right back on trek 
    Who else would you want to beam us up through the Divisions!!
  • Nixon FFS.

We won't be getting Kirk then 👎
    Nixon probably saw Kirk mentioned with a #cafc and has put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5
  • Sponsored links:

• Floebot said:
    Nixon saying "something in Kirk" on twitter 
    Spock?
    "Captain. I have these highly illogical feeling towards you."
  • We can forget about Kirk then, if Nixon is linking us. I’m just surprised by the lack of movement at the moment, not sure what is happening but the club needs to make a signing soon to settle this thread down 😂
  • Kirk would be a fantastic signing, hopefully the type that gets us right back on trek 
    Brilliant, half have hit “lol” due to the sly pun, half have hit “like” cos a good point has been made and they’ve missed the pun 😂👏🏻
  • Seems to be this new thing where any player who can't be easily pigeon-holed as a target man/pacy/link up player is just described as a 'poacher' as if those really exist in the modern game, and discarded as not good enough as a result. I've seen Lewandowski and Aguero described as poachers recently. Even with Schwartz he's not really the sit and wait for the ball player that people make him out to be, something is just very wrong with his football at the moment. Just because a player isn't heavily involved in the build up of all goals doesn't mean that they just hang around on the 6 yard line waiting for a ball to come to them and offer nothing else.  It's League One, we're probably not going to find a complete striker.
    I’d call BWP or similar players poachers but if you look back at the stats in our promotion season as well as his goals he got quite a few assists. He’s still a poacher though, that doesn’t have to mean a traditional poacher from a decades ago who did nothing outside the 6 yard box.

I wouldn’t expect many L1 teams to do well playing that type of player up front as a lone striker. Even the teams that have a lot of possession like Mk Dons or Brighton under Poyet still had strikers who could compete physically and hold up the ball.
  • Swisdom said:
    Re Jephcott - He’s young, pretty good with both feet and scores headers too.  He doesn’t have blistering pace and won’t beat 5 men with skill but he does have a knack of being in the right place in the box and finishes calmly rather than lashing it.

600k would be a lot for a chap playing for Truro up until a couple of years ago especially when that player isn’t vastly different to Stockley

Time will tell I guess
     So we are bidding for a bloke who doesn't get involved in build ups, has no real pace, hangs around in the box and hasn't scored 1 goal in the last 20 games.

We have Schwartz already.

He sounds like me aged 7 as well.
    I thought that was next week?
  • redbuttle said:
    Swisdom said:
    Kirk would be a good signing.  Plays down the left but a great eye for goal and very intelligent player who takes up good positions.  I like him a lot

I believe we have put a bid in.
    That's my comment at the bottom...

Sorry
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    Swisdom said:
    Re Jephcott - He’s young, pretty good with both feet and scores headers too.  He doesn’t have blistering pace and won’t beat 5 men with skill but he does have a knack of being in the right place in the box and finishes calmly rather than lashing it.

600k would be a lot for a chap playing for Truro up until a couple of years ago especially when that player isn’t vastly different to Stockley

Time will tell I guess
    Sounds like BWP then? He didn't bring much outside of pure finishing skills but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Just what I was thinking! A lot of people used to moan about BWPs lack of tracking back etc, but that wasn't his game. Nothing wrong with having a poacher in the side if the rest of the team play to his strengths. Just tell him to hang on the shoulder of the last defender and trust his instinct in the box. Then things will happen. I'd be more than happy with Jephcott. Looked excellent against us at the valley last season
  • Interesting article (if a bit basic) here talking about Kirk being booed by a section of Crewe fans despite being their top assister and probably best player. Perhaps he wants out.

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/sport/football/opinion-boo-boys-risk-driving-17603759
  • Scoham said:
    Seems to be this new thing where any player who can't be easily pigeon-holed as a target man/pacy/link up player is just described as a 'poacher' as if those really exist in the modern game, and discarded as not good enough as a result. I've seen Lewandowski and Aguero described as poachers recently. Even with Schwartz he's not really the sit and wait for the ball player that people make him out to be, something is just very wrong with his football at the moment. Just because a player isn't heavily involved in the build up of all goals doesn't mean that they just hang around on the 6 yard line waiting for a ball to come to them and offer nothing else.  It's League One, we're probably not going to find a complete striker.
    I’d call BWP or similar players poachers but if you look back at the stats in our promotion season as well as his goals he got quite a few assists. He’s still a poacher though, that doesn’t have to mean a traditional poacher from a decades ago who did nothing outside the 6 yard box.

I wouldn’t expect many L1 teams to do well playing that type of player up front as a lone striker. Even the teams that have a lot of possession like Mk Dons or Brighton under Poyet still had strikers who could compete physically and hold up the ball.
    If we are looking at Jephcott I doubt it would be as a lone front-man. I would primarily expect him to be a partner to Stockley or as an alternative to Washington/DJ to give us more tactical flexibility.
  • Chunes said:
    Interesting article (if a bit basic) here talking about Kirk being booed by a section of Crewe fans despite being their top assister and probably best player. Perhaps he wants out.

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/sport/football/opinion-boo-boys-risk-driving-17603759
    Article is over 18 months old though. Kirk is well loved by Crewe fans and they want him to stay along with Dale. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    Seems to be this new thing where any player who can't be easily pigeon-holed as a target man/pacy/link up player is just described as a 'poacher' as if those really exist in the modern game, and discarded as not good enough as a result. I've seen Lewandowski and Aguero described as poachers recently. Even with Schwartz he's not really the sit and wait for the ball player that people make him out to be, something is just very wrong with his football at the moment. Just because a player isn't heavily involved in the build up of all goals doesn't mean that they just hang around on the 6 yard line waiting for a ball to come to them and offer nothing else.  It's League One, we're probably not going to find a complete striker.

If we are looking at Jephcott I doubt it would be as a lone front-man. I would primarily expect him to be a partner to Stockley or as an alternative to Washington/DJ to give us more tactical flexibility.
    Exactly, that’s why I doubt we are. He presumably wouldn’t be cheap and we’ve played a form of 4-3-3 since NA came in. It would be strange to switch formation when we could have played a front two throughout pre-season. We’ve got the players to do it, any two of Stockley, Davison, Washington or a youngster like Ghandour could have played up front as a pair.

If we had been spending like Ipswich then I could see it, but we’re not going to have £500k+ players coming in to give us options from the bench. Anyone we pay a decent fee for will be here to start regularly.
  • edited August 2021
    Chunes said:
    Interesting article (if a bit basic) here talking about Kirk being booed by a section of Crewe fans despite being their top assister and probably best player. Perhaps he wants out.

Article is over 18 months old though. Kirk is well loved by Crewe fans and they want him to stay along with Dale. 
    To be fair mate, they haven't been able to boo him since that article was written!!
    Haha good point! 

I only said it as went to a few Crewe games in 2019 and Kirk was getting the most attention from fans, that’s why I’m surprised to read that article about booing. 
  • Are we treating Kirk as an official rumour? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!