Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Do we really need Purrington, too slow, had a few nightmare games under Bowyer, let him go, try and get Maatsen again plus one more, hearing Ferguson of Millwall may be a target.
  • edited May 2021
    We need a complete overhaul, I’d release 90% of the players out of contract, keep Chuks and JFC. We need to build a consistent squad to take us through the next few years not players on one year contracts or loanees. 
  • Would not keep Millar of Maaston the two most frustrating players I have seen in a Charlton shirt , Shinnie will be released , Famewo would say yes now Norwich gone up would say his chances have not improved .. Stockley would yes but not for 750,000 ... Aneke you can’t carry a player who can only play 30 mins ... Pearce name him under 23 manager but keep him as a player in case of ridiculous injury crisis again .. Oshilaja will leave 
    You can count JFC out till Dec/Jan so mid is going to need the major work done on it , keep Watson but let Pratley go .. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    PWR - we need a whole new team if we want to go up automatics next season. 80% aren’t  good enough.
    We missed the play offs on goal difference despite being managed by someone who had, as you said "lost the plot" for 4 months.

How does that equate to 80% not being good enough and needing a whole team? 

Hand on heart the only team I have seen with "better players" than us, as a whole team, were probably Peterborough and they had been playing like that for a whole season, in a squad designed to play like that.

Hull certainly aren't a team that are all better than our players.  A few yes, 80% no where near. 
    Absolutely right. We've seen enough in the last few games to know that it is farcical we haven't qualified for the play-offs. And I put that down entirely to Bowyer hanging around for 6 weeks longer than he should and the players in that period not responding to him. 

There's some good players in our squad for this level. A bit of tinkering by signing a few of the players we have had on loan and bringing in 3 or 4 young, hungry, talented footballers should see us competing comfortably for automatic promotion. In fact, if we do that, I can see us comfortably going up.
  • Which Matt Smith do we want 

• Which Matt Smith do we want next year?
    Get the one off Doctor Who. Pack him off in the TARDIS to find out opposition tactics ahead of time and maybe sneak a bit of laxative in the canteen and watch the wins roll in.

Plus he can bring Karen Gillen and/or Jenna Coleman along too. 
  • RedRobin said:
    We need a complete overhaul, I’d release 90% of the players out of contract, keep Chuks and JFC. We need a consistent squad to build not one year contracts. 
    We need a consistent squad... but also get rid of all our players. 
  • The signings we need are the equivalent of ..

Hamer
    Wiggins
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Cort
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Green
    Kermorgant
    BWP
    Cullen
    Beilik

Plus a few others

With the backing of Sandgaard and a windfall from the sale of Nick Pope, it’s possible
  • I hope Watson isn't retained, but if contractually he's played enough games to trigger an extension then we can play the elder statesman role. I'd rather Pratley in that role, but we don't need both

We do need a new central midfielder, a defensive minded player, but also with the energy to run box to box. We really miss the likes of Cullen and Bielik, and JFC is out for several months
  • Sponsored links:

• How does the spending now work?  We can only spend, what we have coming in, and as much wages as we want?  So if Pope is sold for £45 million and we get 20%, we have £9 million to build a squad?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    PWR - we need a whole new team if we want to go up automatics next season. 80% aren’t  good enough.
    We missed the play offs on goal difference despite being managed by someone who had, as you said "lost the plot" for 4 months.

Hand on heart the only team I have seen with "better players" than us, as a whole team, were probably Peterborough and they had been playing like that for a whole season, in a squad designed to play like that.

Hull certainly aren't a team that are all better than our players.  A few yes, 80% no where near. 
    Hull were a difficult one today... We saw glimpses of why they're Champions but with the league sealed they werent playing at their full potential - The injuries can't have helped their momentum today as Elder going off almost changed their perspective on the game to one of, lets win and get a record, to, sod this
  • I’m the opposite to a few on here.  I think the wrong mentality is to assume that because we finished outside the play offs on goal difference, we only need to add a couple of players and we’ll be okay.

First of all, I’m not sure who is and isn’t out of contract, but I think it’s time to say goodbye to Pearce, Purrington, Gunter, & possibly Matthews at the back.

Shinnie & Pratley in midfield.  I’m not overly enamoured about Watson staying, but I understand he triggered a contract extension, so we are keeping him.  If we’re keeping him, then we definitely don’t need Pratley.  For me it’s an either/or, absolutely no point in having both of them on the books.  I’m not a fan of Gilbey, despite his appearances in the run in.  However, I believe he has another year, so it’s unlikely he’s going anywhere.  I’m not JFC’s biggest fan either, but he’s just won POTY and Adkins likes him, so do the players and management.  I expect him to be given a new one year deal.  

Up top, I don’t think Aneke is worth keeping.  I don’t think he’s capable of 90 mins, certainly not 90 mins 3 or 4 games in a row.  

I would keep Amos, Inniss, Morgan, Washington and try to get Stockley on a permanent.  For me, I think we need a lot of players, but I doubt it will happen.  

Amos 

RB Inniss CB LB

Jayisemi Morgan MID MID

Stockley Washington 

• We should ditch everyone over the age of 30 unless they offer something major to the first team. 

A fresh, young squad with something to prove will get us out of this division. Not people looking for one last payday. 
  • edited May 2021
    cabbles said:
    I’m the opposite to a few on here.  I think the wrong mentality is to assume that because we finished outside the play offs on goal difference, we only need to add a couple of players and we’ll be okay.

First of all, I’m not sure who is and isn’t out of contract, but I think it’s time to say goodbye to Pearce, Purrington, Gunter, & possibly Matthews at the back.

Shinnie & Pratley in midfield.  I’m not overly enamoured about Watson staying, but I understand he triggered a contract extension, so we are keeping him.  If we’re keeping him, then we definitely don’t need Pratley.  For me it’s an either/or, absolutely no point in having both of them on the books.  I’m not a fan of Gilbey, despite his appearances in the run in.  However, I believe he has another year, so it’s unlikely he’s going anywhere.  I’m not JFC’s biggest fan either, but he’s just won POTY and Adkins likes him, so do the players and management.  I expect him to be given a new one year deal.  

Up top, I don’t think Aneke is worth keeping.  I don’t think he’s capable of 90 mins, certainly not 90 mins 3 or 4 games in a row.  

I would keep Amos, Inniss, Morgan, Washington and try to get Stockley on a permanent.  For me, I think we need a lot of players, but I doubt it will happen.  

Amos 

RB Inniss CB LB

Jayisemi Morgan MID MID

Stockley Washington 

Brave only having 11 players for a whole season. 
  • We should ditch everyone over the age of 30 unless they offer something major to the first team. 

A fresh, young squad with something to prove will get us out of this division. Not people looking for one last payday. 
    But that goes against what Adkins was saying with the CAST Q&A where he said he likes to have players at the club who the younger kids can watch and see how there are no shortcuts in the game.

e.g. He had Dean Hammond @ Southampton for Schneiderlin and Ward Prowse to learn from, at Hull City it was Seb Larsson that the likes of Daniel Batty could watch.
  • I'm not against keeping both Watson and Pratley around on the basis it be could benificial for the younger players coming through not both as squad members. 
    I agree with this as long as the budget allows . I wouldn't play them together unless we are defending a lead close to the end of a game . 

Has Watson triggered his extension ? If so he stays anyway . 

I think Pratley is worth keeping as a squad player because in certain games he has his uses . Recently he has demonstrated this in the way he neutralised Fraser at MKD and last week at Accrington when we were in a battle and he relished that . I would only release him if we have a better player lined up .
  • Can’t think of anyone that I would be fussed if they left, I have absolutely no real affinity with any of this team, roll on the rebuild 
  • edited May 2021
    I think it is very likely Burnley will try to cash in on Pope in the Summer. We have in excess of 20% on any fee for him if it does happen. If he goes for £30m, which is probably the lower end fee,  we would be in line for £6m. That may change the targets somewhat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    I’m the opposite to a few on here.  I think the wrong mentality is to assume that because we finished outside the play offs on goal difference, we only need to add a couple of players and we’ll be okay.

Amos 

RB Inniss CB LB

Jayisemi Morgan MID MID

Stockley Washington 

Brave only having 11 players for a whole season. 
    It’s fine, we never have injury problems 
  • I’d also like us to sign the Portsmouth LB, Lee Brown. 

But that goes against what Adkins was saying with the CAST Q&A where he said he likes to have players at the club who the younger kids can watch and see how there are no shortcuts in the game.

e.g. He had Dean Hammond @ Southampton for Schneiderlin and Ward Prowse to learn from, at Hull City it was Seb Larsson that the likes of Daniel Batty could watch.
    Yeah, think it would be foolish to not have a couple of experienced players around. Just not Pratley, Pearce or Watson! 
  • I think it is very likely Burnley will try to cash in on Pope in the Summer. We have in excess of 20% on any fee for him if it does happen. If he goes for £30m, which is probably the lower end fee,  we would be in line for £6m. That may change the targets somewhat.
    As long as duchatelet hasn’t got  any fingers in that pie. I don’t know of course but we don’t know if that sort of deal was in place with sandgaard do we?
  • iaitch said:
    Which Matt Smith do we want next year?
    None of them.
    Well you’re getting one, may as well choose
  • I think it is very likely Burnley will try to cash in on Pope in the Summer. We have in excess of 20% on any fee for him if it does happen. If he goes for £30m, which is probably the lower end fee,  we would be in line for £6m. That may change the targets somewhat.
    We need to encourage Pope to get a move on!

We don't want him moving on the 31st August when we've already done our business...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Hull were a difficult one today... We saw glimpses of why they're Champions but with the league sealed they werent playing at their full potential - The injuries can't have helped their momentum today as Elder going off almost changed their perspective on the game to one of, lets win and get a record, to, sod this
    I look at that Hull side over the season and I think "who would be a significant upgrade on what we have" and the answer I come up with is Wilkes, Honeyman and not a lot else. 
  • Michael Morrison's contract is running out...

Daniel Crowley would be good if Hull don't want him. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!