Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honest opinion. Is anyone really that bothered if we don’t go up this season?

Comments

• Options
    We cant keep beating Sunderland in Play Offs, I think would prefer to will regroup get a more balanced squad and go for automatic promo next year.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Not going up is a disappointment. Straight and simple. 
    This. I find it quite sad how many fans are just accepting of league one football for our club. 
    There’s a difference between accepting League One football because we feels it’s our natural level and accepting it because we know we just haven’t been good enough over the season to regain a Championship place. This season, has for a few reasons, been an utterly dire one for the club. One that needs to be forgotten as soon as. Ask the same question next season if we fail again after Mr Sandgaard has (hopefully) brought stability and invested wisely and Adkins has had a chance to mould a team in his style then I can assure you there won’t be such a blasé attitude to missing out on promotion. We all want the club to be as successful as possible.
    Which is promotion at all costs, surely? Who cares if we've deserved it with our performances.
  • Options
    Face, bothered ... not me. I’m just grateful we’re still in existence. Next season is going to be great and I can’t wait to get back. With our Nick Pope windfall, I’m expecting a team made up of the best talent nicked from other clubs in this godamn awful league. It’s going to be great  
  • Options
    Honest answer is no, I do think had we gone up we would have needed a complete restructure up against some real quality teams, doing the rebuild in this league and going up with real synergy and momentum is key.

We had a bad hand from the get go and luckily the teams we were against a fair few times didn't know how to exploit that.

I will be annoyed however if we sign a strong squad for next season and don't manage it, I appreciate next season will be difficult with around 4-6 teams not including us will be looking at autos, but with an ambitious owner and a good manager it shouldn't be too difficult, time will tell
    We need a rebuild whatever division we are in. I dont agree that the rebuild has to be league 1 to progress. Look at Barnsley, fortunate to stay up and now might be in the Premier League next season. Getting promoted, having a summer clear out and finishing 21st next season is a much better position than missing out on the play offs. 
    Barnsley and, to a lesser extent, Luton show that it's better to rebuild in a higher division.
  • Options
    Far too many people just assuming we are going up next season

this season has been a disaster, irrespective of the off field problems, that squad should at least be in the play offs

massive summer rebuild ahead. Now we’ll see just how serious TS is 
    I don't think anyone is assuming that at all. Every single one of us knows we've been mismanaged off the field for years. This time 9 months ago we didn't even know if we'd start the season, never mind be worrying about whether we might make the play offs. There were countless posts on here discussing whether we might even go the same way as Bury.

We're getting much stronger off the pitch, and now we have a big summer ahead to ensure we get a lot better on it as well. Whatever happens we will certainly be in a better position to attack the 21/22 season than we started the 20/21 season.
    Hundred percent this. Our 1st game of the season are back 4 included a 35 year old midfield Pratley and a 17 year old Barker. I really believe we won’t be starting the season in that time of position next year.
    True, Pratley will be 36.
  • Options
    Honest answer is no, I do think had we gone up we would have needed a complete restructure up against some real quality teams, doing the rebuild in this league and going up with real synergy and momentum is key.

We had a bad hand from the get go and luckily the teams we were against a fair few times didn't know how to exploit that.

I will be annoyed however if we sign a strong squad for next season and don't manage it, I appreciate next season will be difficult with around 4-6 teams not including us will be looking at autos, but with an ambitious owner and a good manager it shouldn't be too difficult, time will tell
    We need a rebuild whatever division we are in. I dont agree that the rebuild has to be league 1 to progress. Look at Barnsley, fortunate to stay up and now might be in the Premier League next season. Getting promoted, having a summer clear out and finishing 21st next season is a much better position than missing out on the play offs. 
    Barnsley and, to a lesser extent, Luton show that it's better to rebuild in a higher division.
    With a decent base to build on, something we don’t really have.
  • Options
    I’d much rather be rebuilding in the league above!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    stonemuse said:
    League One is a disaster for Charlton. That is all.
    A disaster is an occurrence disrupting the normal conditions of existence and causing a level of suffering that exceeds the capacity of adjustment of the affected community.

Under previous regimes, I’d agree with you. Under Thomas, I don’t think so. 
    The club can’t be made to work financially at this level, as Duchatelet found and Thomas will too. There are two fundamental reasons for this - the difference in central income and the difference in its own revenues. No amount of positivity or goodwill will offset the fact that the football is poor and the opposition bring fewer supporters and attract fewer of our own. We have a big stadium and fixed costs that can’t be funded from revenues in League One.

Yes, the playing budget is significantly lower In L1 and it’s possible to burn through bigger sums In the Championship but to some extent those costs are under the club’s control, as last season showed.

I have absolute respect for what Thomas has done in rescuing the club, but acquiring a business - even in our very strange circumstances - Is likely to be familiar territory to him. Running one successfully in the English football league, in a foreign country, with limited knowledge of the club, is likely to be more of a challenge.

He backs his own judgement and believes he brings something special that will bring success. I hope he’s right. But to a greater or lesser extent, all of Jimenez/Slater, Duchatelet and ESI believed the same thing. They could do what nobody else could.

Now, it may be that Thomas is the special one. I hope for our sake and his that he is. But it is simply a leap of faith to think at this stage that he will be. I understand why people are willing to make that leap, but experience suggests it’s tough. And there is no evidence. Yet.
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks rebuilding in the lower league will somehow put us in a better place is utterly deluded. 

As Airman said, league one is a disaster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unlike many on here I don't think League 1 is shite ! But it is very mediocre and Charlton have Become mediocre.

If it takes two seasons to get back to the Championship so be it but bringing in players who want one more contract as an older player won't get us back to the second tier.

Playing poorly at Accrington Stanley, a stadium that would be poor in the national League really shows how far we have fallen.

Gutted, another season in League 1 but thankful we are not playing in the 9th tier as FC Charlton. 
  • Options

Tbf Barnsley had some cracking players anyway so the rebuild would have been nowhere near the extent of ours, that's also a very rare example, you don't see what they've done all too often.

I don't think it's necessary to rebuild here in this league, I am just trying to be glass half full about it all

I can't lie no matter what I will be excited for next season, regardless of the league, new manager, new owner, new squad, everything seems promising and hopefully we enjoy a promotion campaign with crowds 
  • Options
    Charlton has always been about friends as well as the football, always want promotion and to be kings of Europe, but it doesn't change my opinion of the club when it just doesn't quite happen. 
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks rebuilding in the lower league will somehow put us in a better place is utterly deluded. 

And anyone who thinks rebuilding this team in the Championship and not be faced with losing week in, week out is in my opinion not accepting the realities of how far we are from having a competitive team for that league.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    stonemuse said:
    A disaster is an occurrence disrupting the normal conditions of existence and causing a level of suffering that exceeds the capacity of adjustment of the affected community.

The club can’t be made to work financially at this level, as Duchatelet found and Thomas will too. There are two fundamental reasons for this - the difference in central income and the difference in its own revenues. No amount of positivity or goodwill will offset the fact that the football is poor and the opposition bring fewer supporters and attract fewer of our own. We have a big stadium and fixed costs that can’t be funded from revenues in League One.

Yes, the playing budget is significantly lower In L1 and it’s possible to burn through bigger sums In the Championship but to some extent those costs are under the club’s control, as last season showed.

I have absolute respect for what Thomas has done in rescuing the club, but acquiring a business - even in our very strange circumstances - Is likely to be familiar territory to him. Running one successfully in the English football league, in a foreign country, with limited knowledge of the club, is likely to be more of a challenge.

He backs his own judgement and believes he brings something special that will bring success. I hope he’s right. But to a greater or lesser extent, all of Jimenez/Slater, Duchatelet and ESI believed the same thing. They could do what nobody else could.

Now, it may be that Thomas is the special one. I hope for our sake and his that he is. But it is simply a leap of faith to think at this stage that he will be. I understand why people are willing to make that leap, but experience suggests it’s tough. And there is no evidence. Yet.
    Thomas isn’t naive. He knows what football entails and he will have been forewarned about how much the club stands to lose per year in League One, wouldn’t he?

Yes he’ll want to run the club sustainably (who wouldn’t?) but the key thing for me is that he’s here primarily for the football. And if it costs him a few quid, that’s ok.

If he came in banking on us walking the league within 18 months in a “promotion or bust” type of mentality then maybe he’s not the type of owner we wanted after all.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

As I said ‘I don’t think so’ ... I have nothing to back that up other than, as you say, a leap of faith. Disaster ‘exceeds the capacity of adjustment of the affected community.’  ... I do not believe that is the case with us because my faith is based upon the difference I see between Thomas and the previous regimes. 

Misguided? Maybe, but let’s hope not. 

Supporting a club has always been about having dreams about the future and that’s how I’ve always been ... being pessimistic is fortunately not in my nature. 

Onwards and upwards as someone once said. 
  • Options

Exactly. They didn't push on after getting promoted, but they just about did enough to retain Championship status, that's all that mattered. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

With a decent base to build on, something we don’t really have.
    Exactly, so by having the rebuild in League 1, we essentially need to have two really good summers. Firstly to build a squad capable of getting out of League 1 (and needing some of those to be able to step up after promotion) and then again to bring in Championship quality players to compete. I can't see the argument that you can only compete in the Championship after building a solid base in the league below. 

When us Barnsley and Luton got promoted we lost some real quality in the side - Dijksteel, Bauer, Bielik, Aribo all left. Which one of the three started the season far better than the others?
  • Options
    Who finished the better?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Who finished the better?
    We would have comfortably stayed up had we not been under an embargo in January. It wouldn't have even needed big investment.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Who finished the better?
    But the point being made is that you need a solid base after winning promotion from League 1 to be competitive in the Championship. We lost some of our best players, built the squad on peanuts and still started strong. It was the injuries and the embargo that relegated us, not necessarily because we had to rebuild in the summer of 2019. 
  • Options
    Hard one. 

Always want to see success and f me we all desperately want out of this turd of a league, but, given the squad rebuild we need and that with a still relatively new manager and ownership.... Think I'll be more confident of producing something doing it  down here.

Doubt we'd attract a lot of championship quality if we went up now and Adkins having to get them all to gel and play his way, reckon we'd be coming straight back down.

Rebuild in League One (joy oh joy) use the pulling power we have to get some of the best League one players and players with championship potential in, added to the likes of Gilbey, Washington, DJ and In(jur)nis with Aneke, and JFC re-signed and that's a good start for a top 6 squad.

So we can then go up and fucking stay up.

Please. 
  • Options

And anyone who thinks rebuilding this team in the Championship and not be faced with losing week in, week out is in my opinion not accepting the realities of how far we are from having a competitive team for that league.
    What you on about mate?

We had no budget whatsoever and built practically an entire squad last season that very nearly kept us up, and barring the most unimaginable injury crisis and ownership mayhem you could ever have conceived of, would have had us comfortably mid-table. 

We have a decent owner and structure and a manager who - although I didn’t really want him and not particularly sold on him - is clearly experienced and adept to some level. With that in place and a positive vibe around the club I have no concerns that we would be able to build a team immediately able of avoiding being able to avoid only 3 relegation slots in the division.

In contrast having to fight around with the limited pool of decent players willing to play in league one at an affordable price for a vaguely sensibly run league one club , and competing against several other big clubs, and squeezing into one of only 3 promotion slots, will be very difficult. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021

To be fair, Powell managed it.
  • Options
    Hard one

Always want to see success and f me we all desperately want out of this turd of a league, but, given the squad rebuild we need and that with a still relatively new manager and ownership.... Think I'll be more confident of producing something doing it  down here.

Doubt we'd attract a lot of championship quality if we went up now and Adkins having to get them all to gel and play his way, reckon we'd be coming straight back down.

Rebuild in League One (joy oh joy) use the pulling power we have to get some of the best League one players and players with championship potential in, added to the likes of Gilbey, Washington, DJ and In(jur)nis with Aneke, and JFC re-signed and that's a good start for a top 6 squad.

So we can then go up and fucking stay up.

Please. 
    I'm ever hopeful.

• Options
    I don’t know why this thread is still carrying on.

According Airman we’re doomed.

Might as well turn the lights out on your way out, padlock the doors & go support the Spanner’s.
  • Options
    I'd like to think now with a stable owner we can do something similar to what Powell did the year we won the league, get the majority of the players you want in early in time for the preseason camp so they are all bedded in, ready and prepared. I think things are slightly different these days as teams just rely so much more on prem loans which invariably are not agreed until close the end of the window. 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    iaitch said:
    Who finished the better?
    We would have comfortably stayed up had we not been under an embargo in January. It wouldn't have even needed big investment.
    We would have comfortably stayed up if we hadn't conceded several goals after 90 plus minutes costing us 7/8 points.