Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honest opinion. Is anyone really that bothered if we don’t go up this season?

Comments

• Options
    My worry is the expectation next season.
    It will be huge.
    Hope the players we get are up to it.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, this L1 season has felt an extension of the awful 2nd half of the Championship season. We need a strong spine like we had in that game V Forest and quite strangely, rebuild from that "high".
  • Options
    Yeah depressing the thought of another year in this league with no guarantee of promotion next season. Feel very ambivalent about the current team though and surprisingly don't feel too down about today's result. I guess I have got used to poor performance and have never felt this team has it in them to clinch play off place.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Unfortunately, this L1 season has felt an extension of the awful 2nd half of the Championship season. We need a strong spine like we had in that game V Forest and quite strangely, rebuild from that "high".
    I'm not sure rebuilding on a high from 2 years ago will work. 

Whether Adkins is successful or not remains to be seen but I do think hes a perfect manager for a rebuild. He is so positive and I think he can quickly install a real togetherness in a newly formed group of players. I think Bowyer would have struggled with that, through no fault of his own, because of the pitch issues. It's a fresh start come the summer. 
  • Options
    Whether we go up or not there will be wholesale changes in the playing staff. The difference of course will be in the 'quality' of the players, the higher the division, the better the players. Of course.it will take a big budget IF IF we go up to make sure we don't come straight down yet again. We don't yet know how deep are Sandy's budget pockets. Will he still put in a good few quid to support a L1 side ?
    I would much rather watch Championship than L1 but whatever, when crowds are allowed back, I'll be up and down the land following the Addicks for a good few games next season
  • Options
    I’m not.

Got used to the idea weeks ago that this bunch of useless pricks wouldn’t take us up.  Complete rebuild over the summer please TS and let’s make a proper fist of it then.

What does everyone else think? 
    Oh, yes we going to piss it next season guaranteed........ no one else is bothering to even try. GET REAL.... we will not get out of this league , we are fucked.  An you and the it doesn’t really matter thinkers, have some reality heading your way...... 
  • Options
    In our two previous stints in the third tier, it took us three seasons to get out.

Each time we spent one season outside the top six, one season losing in the playoff semi final and one season promoted.

I hope next season isn’t a “losing in a playoff semi final” type year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not.

Got used to the idea weeks ago that this bunch of useless pricks wouldn’t take us up.  Complete rebuild over the summer please TS and let’s make a proper fist of it then.

Oh, yes we going to piss it next season guaranteed........ no one else is bothering to even try. GET REAL.... we will not get out of this league , we are fucked.  An you and the it doesn’t really matter thinkers, have some reality heading your way...... 
    Jesus chill out. Not sure anybody thinks we will piss the league but should have a better squad. We've been poor and still had a chance of getting into the play offs. We dont even need to improve massively to have half a chance. 
  • Options
    Some smart arses tonight. Everyone knows the point of the original post. I don't think we deserve or anywhere near good enough for the play offs. Do I want to get into the championship absolutely, but so do 23 other teams. 

Patience is key. In a horrible way I hope we don't get a result Tuesday as it's the hope..... 

Bring on next season, let's rebuild and put together a title chasing squad. 
  • Options
    Absolutely I’m bothered that we aren’t going up, I’d much rather fight to stay in the championship, than fail miserably at trying to get out of league one. Even with the circumstances we’ve had the right application from bowyer and the players( all professionals remember) should have seen us compete better than they have. Thomas came in and gave them a big boost and peace of mind going forward and they’ve f|~#cked it up in the most shitty way. 
  • Options
    I’m not.

I wouldn't go that far. Could go either way.

We absolutely cannot judge Sandgaard on this season. The cards were well stacked against us from the off. In some ways it's a miracle we've ended up where we have.

I genuinely think he has a plan. The proof will be in the pudding of course. Starting with some signings that have some longevity to them.
    Let's face it. He patched together this side with some last chance salooners and loan signings. It's all there was.

My worry, as I mentioned earlier, will be the huge expectation. The pressure will be ramped to max from day one right till the end.
  • Options
    Of course I am bothered, this division is rubbish, I want to be playing bigger teams and watching better quality.

I am also bothered as I like Tommy Sandgaard and he will be hurting financially with us staying down.  

Always amazes me how easy fans say they aren't bothered when then finances of promotion are so much better for the club.  So next year's Championship ain't going to be that tough with the teams coming down and with Covid hurting half of those in there already - this season is a huge missed opportunity.

He can take it. He knew what he was getting involved with and would have done his homework. It's not going to be a shock for him and he doesn't need sympathy.

We all like him on a personal level, but end of the day, he did purchase the club and it is obviously not an easy ride. It's his responsibility, because he now owns us. Do not waste time feeling sorry for him.

Remind yourself of the 5 year plan. The projected future ambition would likely make him an overall significant net profit. So he better get on it and give Charlton what it needs.

He has pride and a dedicated work rate which has made him a lot of money.

Hopefully it can be proven again with us.

• Options
    I don't think we are good or deserving enough to go up. 

However, if our rivals were to slip up and we got a couple of results - with maybe a lucky deflection - and a ricochet off someone's backside I'd be delighted.  We have to rebuild in the close season regardless. Better to rebuild for the Championship than League One in my opinion.  
  • Options
    We are miles off being good enough to go up. Next season will not be easy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need every possibility to get out of this division so yes. Every thinks we need a rebuild from this current squad, and that would be far better to do in the Championship.

We aren't some guarantee to go up next year if we don't this year. Ipswich, Sunderland and Pompey are all minted, as well as potentially Derby and the massives. It won't be easy with another rebuild 
  • Options
    8th season in 13 for us in the third tier next season 
    to find the previous 8 seasons in this shithouse division you’ve got to go back in to the 1920s when we first entered League football
    we are in the worst footballing period in an entire history imo 
    all at the same time as palace are eons away and the scum are above us as well 
    shameful times as South East London’s weak link 

im a celibate Britty  , get me out of here 
  • Options
    Nope, it's the level Charlton have been at for most of my life. 

Allows us to take the best players from this level in the summer and make promotion actually stick
  • Options
    There’s a false assumption that getting in the play-offs is success. It actually just gives you a 1 in 4 chance of promotion instead of the 0 in 4 chance you get when you come 7th. The assumption that the play-offs are a 1 in 4 chance may also be false. While the play-off games may be levellers to some extent with a bit of luck thrown in, they do demand three decent performances in a row or an exceptional performance in one of the semi final legs. From what I’ve seen and heard, I don’t believe this team is good enough. Disappointed? Yes. Bothered about us going up? Yes. Think it would be a good thing to go up with this squad? Doubtful without major surgery. Deserve to go up? No.
  • Options
    There’s a reason why it’s taken us three years to get promoted the last two times we have been in league 1. Peterborough finished 7th in 2018/9 season and it took them an extra two seasons to find the quality to get them into the automatic promotion places.

We’ve got a big transfer window ahead of us. Personally, I would like us to act early and show some ambition to challenge for top 2.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Far too many people just assuming we are going up next season

this season has been a disaster, irrespective of the off field problems, that squad should at least be in the play offs

massive summer rebuild ahead. Now we’ll see just how serious TS is 
    I don't think anyone is assuming that at all. Every single one of us knows we've been mismanaged off the field for years. This time 9 months ago we didn't even know if we'd start the season, never mind be worrying about whether we might make the play offs. There were countless posts on here discussing whether we might even go the same way as Bury.

We're getting much stronger off the pitch, and now we have a big summer ahead to ensure we get a lot better on it as well. Whatever happens we will certainly be in a better position to attack the 21/22 season than we started the 20/21 season.
  • Options
    Far too many people just assuming we are going up next season

this season has been a disaster, irrespective of the off field problems, that squad should at least be in the play offs

massive summer rebuild ahead. Now we’ll see just how serious TS is 
    I don't think anyone is assuming that at all. Every single one of us knows we've been mismanaged off the field for years. This time 9 months ago we didn't even know if we'd start the season, never mind be worrying about whether we might make the play offs. There were countless posts on here discussing whether we might even go the same way as Bury.

We're getting much stronger off the pitch, and now we have a big summer ahead to ensure we get a lot better on it as well. Whatever happens we will certainly be in a better position to attack the 21/22 season than we started the 20/21 season.
    Hundred percent this. Our 1st game of the season are back 4 included a 35 year old midfield Pratley and a 17 year old Barker. I really believe we won’t be starting the season in that time of position next year.