Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honest opinion. Is anyone really that bothered if we don’t go up this season?

Comments

• Options
    I'm sorry but it does make me laugh when we talk about the grounds  in the championship and league 1.
    Can I ask if we got promoted how many of us would be going to 
    Middlesbrough 
    Huddersfield 
    Barnsley 
    Hull
    Blackburn 
    Stoke after the last time up there.
    Preston
    And then moan about Luton.

• Options
    I haven't felt we were good enough all season. Don't feel any affinity with the players whatsoever.

Hope we have a right royal clear out and rebuild a proper squad....could take two years, but when you watch the replays of games at this level from the 70's/80's/90's the standard now is technically so much better. Im not a league one hater, we are here because that's the level we are at due to the players available.

Its out of our hands now and let's be frank, we don't deserve to sneak in.

Looking forward to saying adios to most of them.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I'm sorry but it does make me laugh when we talk about the grounds  in the championship and league 1.
    Middlesbrough 
    Huddersfield 
    Barnsley 
    Hull
    Blackburn 
    Preston

Most of them probably, especially if they were Saturdays. 
  • Options
    League 1 will be much tougher next season so we need to assemble a decent squad. Most of our signings this season have disappointed.
  • Options
    Too much else going on in the world to get bothered about whether we're 2nd or 3rd division. Next season though..
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Middlesbrough 
    Huddersfield 
    Barnsley 
    Hull
    Blackburn 
    Preston

I would probably go to all of them, and almost certainly not Luton.  I won't even be able to go to Bradford, Oldham or Rochdale. On the plus side at least 2 of Derby, Rotherham and Wednesday will be coming down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be a lot more bothered had I been confident from the start of the season we'd be in with a shout in May. But I wasn't and that lack of confidence in us being able to string performances and results together at the right time has proven to be right.

Make no bones about it, our situation is our fault. It was in our hands and almost certainly we've blown it. With the league as tight as it was you shouldn't expect to get through to the play offs off the back of 1 win in 5. And that's not really an outlier sequence either.

It's a massive missed opportunity, as I expect the division to be stronger next year, but in reality we are there or thereabouts where I thought we might be.
  • Options
    I guess the answer to this is what were everyone's thoughts at different stages this season. At the start given the mess we were in I felt we had no chance of being top 6. After that good run in November felt there was a chance but January I had completely written us off. Since Adkins arrived it gave us hope and that's why I think there are some strong opinions post these last couple of games.

I guess my answer is of course I'm bothered, I want us out of this league. Yesterday rammed that home for me, the football was atrocious and when you think it's just two tiers below PL level it might have just been a different sport. As bothered as I am though it's hardly a surprise given what has gone on this season. As soon as this season is decided the work needs to start on preparing for next year as it will not be any easier, we saw with the league 1 winning side the work started the season before so already we're behind where we need to be.
  • Options
    no - promotion season's don't come round that often and i want to be there when we have one 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Far too many people just assuming we are going up next season

this season has been a disaster, irrespective of the off field problems, that squad should at least be in the play offs

massive summer rebuild ahead. Now we’ll see just how serious TS is 

Personally I think the squad isn’t good enough, and hasn’t ever been good enough.  I think we’ve been kept alive by other teams’ inability to just finish us off.  

A good example is Gunter.  When he came in, I thought, great signing.  Experienced, tidy and I thought he could do a job at this level.  He’s been very poor.  The likes of Pearce and Pratley were used more sparingly by Bowyer 2 years ago, and they’ve become mainstays this season.  Pearce you can argue is as a result of the injuries to Famewo and Inniss, but there’s no way Pratley should’ve got the amount of game time he did this season, and we expect to be in the promotion shake up.  No way.

Outside of that, I will keep saying this, JFC has looked good because he’s playing in a very poor team.  He’s an okay footballer at this level, but you have to worry about the rest of the talent around him when he’s being lauded to the length he has been this season. I know he was injured 2 years ago, but there’s no way I’m picking him ahead of Aribo, Cullen or Bielik.  

I thought Watson was another decent signing for the level we’re at, but it quickly became apparent we weren’t going to see a renaissance of the man who scored a winning goal in an FA Cup final, and we’ve now got him on the books again for next season.  Shinnie looked okay to start with, but he’s another player that just looks at home in the sea of tepidity that washes over our midfield.  

I think Gilbey has been useless.  I know Bowyer said he had a personal issue earlier in the season, and we don’t know how bad it was, but I just can’t get behind him, despite the flurry of appearances since Adkins has been appointed.  Again, if he’s a regular in midfield next season, don’t expect a promotion at the end of it.

Millar started well, but I’m surprised he’s still on Liverpool’s books at the age he is.  I’m debating as to whether he can make it in a League One promotion winning team.  I just don’t know.  Perhaps, with better players around him, he may well do, however, he may feel he’s got a chance of a Championship club and he’s not our player anyway.

Jayisemi I haven’t seen enough to pass comment on.  

Up top, I like Stockley and Washington, I wouldn’t be annoyed if they were both on the club’s books next season, unless something better came up.  Not too sure about Aneke.  I don’t see him as a regular starter as I don’t think he’s fit enough.  Do we offer him a new contract knowing he can’t start most games?  

At the back, Maatsen hasn’t shown the sort of quality that makes me think other clubs will be pulling up trees to loan him next year.  He’s young, has applied himself, but just doesn’t look that talented.  Pearce has to go.  You can’t fault his commitment and what he’s given us, but if he’s still manhandling opposing League One attackers next season, expect another year of frustration and mediocrity.  Purrington is okay, but again, needs better players around him.  Is he really in the Wiggins mould like we had under Powell?  

I just think we need to be a lot more honest with ourselves as fans about the abilities of our teams.  I’m not having a dig at you or any other fans, football is all about opinions.  I’m just highlighting that some of us have seen a few promotions now if we’re of a certain age.  We know what a promotion winning team looks and feels like.  The way the current squad performed over large parts of this season, even when we won, was a million miles from a proper promotion winning team looks like.  

The good news is that we have a good owner, a stable football club (relatively speaking), a fan base clucking to get back to the Valley and make that place a proper home ground again, and that Covid has impacted a lot of clubs from a playing perspective (Liverpool are a great example).  It’s been extraordinarily bizarre times outside of football, and it’s definitely taken its toll on the game and on us, and perhaps how we interact with the game.  

The key is the summer clear out.  If it doesn’t happen, and you see Gilbey, Pratley, Pearce & JFC on the books and starting next season. It’s League One consolidation all over again.  If you see 12/13 new players, then all to play for and that’s when we can renew our optimism.

Whether or not TS has the appetite for that is yet to be seen.  If he thinks we should be getting more out of what he’s put in, that’s fair enough. However, unfortunately for him, if we wants this dream of Prem football in 5 years, he’s going to have put his hand further into his pocket to get it.  Personally, I have no expectations he will or should, we’re lucky enough to have received what he has put in.  Just highlighting the huge disparity between what we currently have versus what we need 
    I agree with a lot of what you say, but you (and other posters) have to remember that some players are contracted to be here for a couple more years (Gilbey, Pratley & JFC  for example) so getting rid, as you say, is going to be highly unlikely.
  • Options
    Obviously it’s not over yet but it’s looking like we’ve blown it for this season and that’s disappointing but I have to admit that when I looked at that fixture list at the beginning of the season I thought there were a lot more away days I would have got to. Not going up isn’t too much of a disaster if life returns to (almost) normality by August. It’ll be a shame if Pompey go up as well as Peterborough - two good days out will be missing from the fixture list if that happens. Besides, I want to be there when we go for promotion and achieve it. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

this season has been a disaster, irrespective of the off field problems, that squad should at least be in the play offs

Personally I think the squad isn’t good enough, and hasn’t ever been good enough.  I think we’ve been kept alive by other teams’ inability to just finish us off.  

A good example is Gunter.  When he came in, I thought, great signing.  Experienced, tidy and I thought he could do a job at this level.  He’s been very poor.  The likes of Pearce and Pratley were used more sparingly by Bowyer 2 years ago, and they’ve become mainstays this season.  Pearce you can argue is as a result of the injuries to Famewo and Inniss, but there’s no way Pratley should’ve got the amount of game time he did this season, and we expect to be in the promotion shake up.  No way.

Outside of that, I will keep saying this, JFC has looked good because he’s playing in a very poor team.  He’s an okay footballer at this level, but you have to worry about the rest of the talent around him when he’s being lauded to the length he has been this season. I know he was injured 2 years ago, but there’s no way I’m picking him ahead of Aribo, Cullen or Bielik.  

I thought Watson was another decent signing for the level we’re at, but it quickly became apparent we weren’t going to see a renaissance of the man who scored a winning goal in an FA Cup final, and we’ve now got him on the books again for next season.  Shinnie looked okay to start with, but he’s another player that just looks at home in the sea of tepidity that washes over our midfield.  

I think Gilbey has been useless.  I know Bowyer said he had a personal issue earlier in the season, and we don’t know how bad it was, but I just can’t get behind him, despite the flurry of appearances since Adkins has been appointed.  Again, if he’s a regular in midfield next season, don’t expect a promotion at the end of it.

Millar started well, but I’m surprised he’s still on Liverpool’s books at the age he is.  I’m debating as to whether he can make it in a League One promotion winning team.  I just don’t know.  Perhaps, with better players around him, he may well do, however, he may feel he’s got a chance of a Championship club and he’s not our player anyway.

Up top, I like Stockley and Washington, I wouldn’t be annoyed if they were both on the club’s books next season, unless something better came up.  Not too sure about Aneke.  I don’t see him as a regular starter as I don’t think he’s fit enough.  Do we offer him a new contract knowing he can’t start most games?  

At the back, Maatsen hasn’t shown the sort of quality that makes me think other clubs will be pulling up trees to loan him next year.  He’s young, has applied himself, but just doesn’t look that talented.  Pearce has to go.  You can’t fault his commitment and what he’s given us, but if he’s still manhandling opposing League One attackers next season, expect another year of frustration and mediocrity.  Purrington is okay, but again, needs better players around him.  Is he really in the Wiggins mould like we had under Powell?  

I just think we need to be a lot more honest with ourselves as fans about the abilities of our teams.  I’m not having a dig at you or any other fans, football is all about opinions.  I’m just highlighting that some of us have seen a few promotions now if we’re of a certain age.  We know what a promotion winning team looks and feels like.  The way the current squad performed over large parts of this season, even when we won, was a million miles from a proper promotion winning team looks like.  

The good news is that we have a good owner, a stable football club (relatively speaking), a fan base clucking to get back to the Valley and make that place a proper home ground again, and that Covid has impacted a lot of clubs from a playing perspective (Liverpool are a great example).  It’s been extraordinarily bizarre times outside of football, and it’s definitely taken its toll on the game and on us, and perhaps how we interact with the game.  

The key is the summer clear out.  If it doesn’t happen, and you see Gilbey, Pratley, Pearce & JFC on the books and starting next season. It’s League One consolidation all over again.  If you see 12/13 new players, then all to play for and that’s when we can renew our optimism.

Whether or not TS has the appetite for that is yet to be seen.  If he thinks we should be getting more out of what he’s put in, that’s fair enough. However, unfortunately for him, if we wants this dream of Prem football in 5 years, he’s going to have put his hand further into his pocket to get it.  Personally, I have no expectations he will or should, we’re lucky enough to have received what he has put in.  Just highlighting the huge disparity between what we currently have versus what we need 
    Good post, while I have some slightly different opinions of individual players overall I agree.

Players like Gunter, Pratley, Pearce and Watson are good on paper and that to some justifies why this is a promotion winning squad, but rather than poor management I’ve felt for a while this squad probably just isn’t quite good enough. They’ve put in very few convincing performances.

There’s nothing wrong with some of them being part of the squad next season, get our recruitment right and they’ll be fine as cover (assuming we don’t keep too many of them).
  • Options
    I’m not.

Got used to the idea weeks ago that this bunch of useless pricks wouldn’t take us up.  Complete rebuild over the summer please TS and let’s make a proper fist of it then.

What does everyone else think? 
    Weird. Of course I'm bothered, every Charlton fan should be.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, but you (and other posters) have to remember that some players are contracted to be here for a couple more years (Gilbey, Pratley & JFC  for example) so getting rid, as you say, is going to be highly unlikely.
    Yes, it won’t be as simple as I would hope it would be.  I might be wrong, but I think JFC and Pratley are both out of contract.  You’re right about Gilbey, I’m pretty certain he’s here next season 
  • Options
    Not going up is a disappointment. Straight and simple. 
    This. I find it quite sad how many fans are just accepting of league one football for our club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For this season I find it hard to get too bothered about missing the playoffs. Partly because I haven't been at any of the games so haven't been there for any of the capitulations, but mainly because I'm still getting used to the idea that I don't need to check the news each morning to see if we've gone bust. Next season I'll agree with pretty much everyone else - we need to improve and we need to be at least in the mix for the top two. 
  • Options
    Honest answer is no, I do think had we gone up we would have needed a complete restructure up against some real quality teams, doing the rebuild in this league and going up with real synergy and momentum is key.

We had a bad hand from the get go and luckily the teams we were against a fair few times didn't know how to exploit that.

I will be annoyed however if we sign a strong squad for next season and don't manage it, I appreciate next season will be difficult with around 4-6 teams not including us will be looking at autos, but with an ambitious owner and a good manager it shouldn't be too difficult, time will tell
  • Options
    Honest answer is no, I do think had we gone up we would have needed a complete restructure up against some real quality teams, doing the rebuild in this league and going up with real synergy and momentum is key.

We had a bad hand from the get go and luckily the teams we were against a fair few times didn't know how to exploit that.

I will be annoyed however if we sign a strong squad for next season and don't manage it, I appreciate next season will be difficult with around 4-6 teams not including us will be looking at autos, but with an ambitious owner and a good manager it shouldn't be too difficult, time will tell
    The first post I’ve seen on this thread that I 100% agree with. 
  • Options
    Of course I am. But it isn't going to happen.

All this talk about the squad not good enough - that's what transfer markets are for. We have an owner who will invest now.   
  • Options
    League One is a disaster for Charlton. That is all.
    A disaster is an occurrence disrupting the normal conditions of existence and causing a level of suffering that exceeds the capacity of adjustment of the affected community.

Under previous regimes, I’d agree with you. Under Thomas, I don’t think so. 
  • Options

We need a rebuild whatever division we are in. I dont agree that the rebuild has to be league 1 to progress. Look at Barnsley, fortunate to stay up and now might be in the Premier League next season. Getting promoted, having a summer clear out and finishing 21st next season is a much better position than missing out on the play offs. 
  • Options
    Interesting question.

For me, it's a definite no. If this team went up, it would need a complete rebuild to have any chance of staying up. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but if money is tight it's hard to see that a near-whole team of Championship standard players could be recruited.  And without them, watching the team lose near every week would not be fun.

Let's undertake the re-build in this League, get in some young talented players who have got the potential to play at a higher level,  smash the League next year and then go up with momentum.

• Options
    Interesting question.

For me, it's a definite no. If this team went up, it would need a complete rebuild to have any chance of staying up. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but if money is tight it's hard to see that a near-whole team of Championship standard players could be recruited.  And without them, watching the team lose near every week would not be fun.

Let's undertake the re-build in this League, get in some young talented players who have got the potential to play at a higher level,  smash the League next year and then go up with momentum.

So if money is tight how on earth will we rebuild enough to 'smash' league one? These young talented players you speak of don't come cheaply.