Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honest opinion. Is anyone really that bothered if we don’t go up this season?

Comments

• Options
    I’m not too bothered, going Charlton at The Valley is my thing with a few aways chucked in. I’m not too bothered about the opposition. As a club on and off the pitch I’m not sure we are really for the Championship yet and if it goes to plan, would probably benefit from a successful year at this level (if it went to plan).  

Tempering that, Whether it’s been the Covid situation impacting on planning and prep, or the impact of no crowds, but the standard this year has been incredibly poor. As has the quality of pitches, which has probably added to it. 

Been so much dross this year and watching it on screen has magnified it. 
    This.
  • Options
    We have an owner that has enabled us to have more patience. He is confident, direct and trustworthy.

We have long term goals and everyone at the club is now hungry for success. It's good that Adkins has had time with the squad and he can try and get what we need in order to finish 1st or 2nd next season.

Hopefully big clubs like Portsmouth or Sunderland might win the playoffs. 

Consistency is the hardest part.

It's always in the detail. 
  • Options
    should of never gone down in the first place. 
  • Options
    Tbh I would be gutted to miss us at Wembley.  We need a normal season to get ready and with supporters back do this together.

But if we fluke the miracle of promotion from here I will be pleased.
  • Options
    Yes. I'm so sick of this league. 
  • Options
    Will never forgive Brentford....hope they lose in the playoffs again. This league is terrible can't stand that we will at least have another season in it. 
  • Options
    As I did not expect to be near the players off places, last summer after the plays we recruited then, I should not be. But after they have over achieved by so much I do feels twinge of dissapointment.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Will never forgive Brentford....hope they lose in the playoffs again. This league is terrible can't stand that we will at least have another season in it. 
    nothing to do with them. We had already done our part in our relegation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From where we are now, which is something I'd have gladly taken when the crook Southall was involved, I would like to see a summer rebuild then a barnstorming season with decent attendances pushing the team on to an automatic promotion place, much like the SCP season.

Need to look at the bigger picture in the context of our recent past, and take finishing top half as a relative success given the nightmares of an embargo and a wage cap. It feels like a huge disappointment because we have been around the top six, mostly a false position due to having played more games than our rivals.

Next season is the launch pad for imminent success.

I hope.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    nothing to do with them. We had already done our part in our relegation. 
    Did you ever watch that game? Watkins completely missed the ball with an open goal from 2 yards and same with Fosu. Perennial bottlers.
  • Options
    Of course I am, we all should be. Despite it being unlikely and probably undeserved, we went in to today's game knowing promotion was in our hands. I dont blame anyone specifically, but it's been a pretty shite season. Some of the football the worst I've ever seen. But still this morning it was in our hands. So bit gutting tonight, but have to say it's the most exciting summer for a number of years and an absolutely huge one at that. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I have always said I would rather be in a lower league and win every game 4-0, over being in the higher league and losing every game 4-0.

but I’m weird.
  • Options
    going back to original question then yes, i am bothered.

I am bothered that firstly we should of never been in this league in the first place. I am bothered that during the time we have been in this league we should of beaten some teams more than most in this league. I'm bothered that we have scraped a 1 all against Accrington Stanley. I'm bothered that next season we will have to play Gillingham yet again. 

However i wont be bothered, i will be pissed off if after a whole season without all the shite in the background and without the salary cap that we are not near the top of the league next season. Cos frankly my dear, we aint going up this season. 
  • Options
    Doesn't seem as if the players really care TBH. I guess with no crowd pushing them on it's tough. There seems to be a lack of urgency in everything they do. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I don't want to see any more games like Crewe at the Valley.  But I'm hoping we won't.  If we outplay other teams I can bear to watch more L1 football.  I don't think it is a shit division, it is a division of underfunded and aspirational clubs with a handful who think they are too good to be here.  I would rather watch a team play well in L1 than play park-the-bus in the champ. The really shit teams in this division are teams like ours, so if you don't want to watch that it's a bit of a tough choice.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I will be disappointed, though I know the reasons for it. 

We have had four fifths of a season with a 'manager' that was worn down and broken by the past couple of years.

He had to rush together a side after enduring an embargo all summer thanks to some crazy morons. He obviously signed players he thought HE could improve and when he couldn't became frustrated. He began to call individuals out in the media and generally destroyed the confidence of several players, whilst also at one point attacking fans for not creating enough atmosphere during the pandemic and a crap game.

He was unable to change things and had clearly decided he was moving on before the season had begun, he had applied to other jobs, understandably so. 

We finally put together some results and started an unbeaten run as he walked out with a WDW, a big change and I started to believe again.

Since Bowyer left, it had looked like things were changing positively, we got a draw then a win to extend our ubeaten run to 5, in the caretaker games.  The Intl break allowed Adkins to imprint his strategy on the side and since we have gone DWWDW - LDD. We lost against the second best side in this league, with fight and battle but they defended like they deserve to be where they are. 

Throughout the run until the loss we were looking steady even in spite of continued injuries. In the two results since, it feels like the player confidence is shot. We have managed to twice throw away a lead at Crewe, then we gave Accrington a free goal to give them the edge on us. 

The difference is those players that need to know better. Gunter, Pearce, Pratley & Watson. Watson has actually felt like he has stepped up, whereas since the loss Pearce & Pratley have been shite. Gunter has been ineffective and today was useless. Pratley may as well have missed today's game and Pearce failed to defend both Crewe goals. 

Their much need experience is not showing when we need it to. 

Regarding Adkins, anyone calling for his head needs to give their own head a wobble. 

I liked the idea of a 3-5-2 today, however we DID NOT need Pratley in it today. JFC should have been in that position and Shinnie and Gilbey should have been either side of him.

It's a shame, we know Shinnie doesn't have the same physicality of Pratley, Watson, F.Caskey or Gilbey but his eye for a pass and ability to complete it is well beyond any of those. 

These potential last two games, we would be stupid not to go all out attack. See what the players are capable of achieving and hope Pompey & Oxford lose/draw their last games.

I have said since Adkins took charge that the playoffs were not expected, however they would be a serious bonus.

Just a month ago it looked like the playoffs were out of reach and it was out of our hands. Recently we seem to be showing that we do not like it being in our hands, especially those senior experienced heads. 

At the start of the season promotion was expected in spite of the embargo and short window available, but come January I was confident we needed a change to make the play offs, it was another month til it happened and I was stunned by the timing as we were turning it round, but realistically I felt the playoffs were gone from the end of February and haven't fully changed my opinion since. Even so to not at least make the play offs, it will be disappointing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the owner has real ambition then gaining promotion would have been a real bonus. We’ll have a new squad next season regardless of division. Significant investment in the playing staff is an absolute requirement. Without that we won’t be going up next season either. I’m expecting at least a 12 and probably 14 players to come in. The vast majority need to be senior and ready to roll. The only up side I can see this season is that we actually still have a club to follow. That at one point looked decidedly shaky. 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    I have always said I would rather be in a lower league and win every game 4-0, over being in the higher league and losing every game 4-0.

but I’m weird.
    Winning every week 4 - 0 would win you promotion every season. 
  • Options
    Stewart said:

but I’m weird.
    Winning every week 4 - 0 would win you promotion every season. 
    Instead we manage neither. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I’m not that bothered.

If given the chance, I’d like us to of course but it would just feel quite underwhelming considering the circumstances (the fact we’ve been mostly shit this season, and there’s little enjoyment in watching over a stream).

When you look at our previous promotions in recent years (1998, 2000, 2012, 2019), they’ve all been filled with incredible memories. This season it would just feel as though we’ve somehow fluked it.

If we only get a glorious promotion year every 5-6 years or so, then I’d probably rather it not be wasted on this dogshit pandemic season.
  • Options
    For anyone saying they're not bothered.

Tell me how you felt when Bauer scored and how you weren't bothered then either.
  • Options
    Of course I am bothered, this division is rubbish, I want to be playing bigger teams and watching better quality.

I am also bothered as I like Tommy Sandgaard and he will be hurting financially with us staying down.  

Always amazes me how easy fans say they aren't bothered when then finances of promotion are so much better for the club.  So next year's Championship ain't going to be that tough with the teams coming down and with Covid hurting half of those in there already - this season is a huge missed opportunity.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Doesn't seem as if the players really care TBH. I guess with no crowd pushing them on it's tough. There seems to be a lack of urgency in everything they do. 
    I think 90% of the senior squad being out of contract and unlikely to be here next season (particularly if we go up) must have an impact too. 
  • Options
    Am I bothered if we don't go up.
    Yes.
    Am I bothered if we get rid of every useless prick in this wanky squad that Bowyer has put together. 
    No
    Bring on next season