Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-season Friendlies

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Can I ask what is stopping those who are so outraged by the fact there is no Welling pre season friendly from going to see Welling against someone else when they can?
    If they’re really bothered about the finances of the club?
    🧐
    How many Welling v Charlton matches have you personally been to?

The revenue from the matches are a big deal to Welling United. At a guess, 10x what they get per average league match.
    Think I only missed a couple through work.
    Your point?
    As I said, for those really bothered about Wellings financial loss from this, go to another game 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    We aint even got a first team yet, Im pretty sure 80% of all people who normally go the Welling game wouldnt give a toss if it was U23s or a second 11.

Barely anyone seen live football for 18months means people would go regardless IMO

Welling still didn't want it?

OK, crack on then. 
  • Options
    It's a shame, it's a nice little tradition. Hopefully something can be sorted out, if not for this summer, for next and going forward.

It's not worth the upset and outrage, genuine or otherwise.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    from a footballing perspective, Dartford are a better team and a better work out
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    PopIcon said:
    I would hope that the friendlies are what the management believe will help us the most in terms of being ready next season. I agree there is no room for sentiment unless both sentiment and need align. 
    This is the last I'm going to say on the matter as I've made my feelings clear. There is room for sentiment in football, community level teams are enriched with it. That's the reason we play Red Red Robin as the players enter the field every home match. It's not like it's a banging anthem that is going to get the players psyched.

Hopefully there will be a couple more announcements early next week.
    That isn't sentiment, it is tradition. It seems that if Welling let our U-21s play on their pitch our friendly would be with them not Dartford. They didn't and a footballing decision has been made factoring in a commitment made to Dartford.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Honestly, tweeting the owner about this is nothing short of pathetic. 

It makes them feel important and they can tell their mates that they "know" the owner. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Honestly, tweeting the owner about this is nothing short of pathetic. 

It makes them feel important and they can tell their mates that they "know" the owner. 
    He 'knows' the owner more than most fans already.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I would hope that the friendlies are what the management believe will help us the most in terms of being ready next season. I agree there is no room for sentiment unless both sentiment and need align. 
    This is the last I'm going to say on the matter as I've made my feelings clear. There is room for sentiment in football, community level teams are enriched with it. That's the reason we play Red Red Robin as the players enter the field every home match. It's not like it's a banging anthem that is going to get the players psyched.

That isn't sentiment, it is tradition. It seems that if Welling let our U-21s play on their pitch our friendly would be with them not Dartford. They didn't and a footballing decision has been made factoring in a commitment made to Dartford.
    I'm still waiting for the pre-season friendly with Inter Milan..........
    They did send over Nikola Berti though.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Scoham said:
    Some people have too much time on their hands...
    Given the author of the tweet and their current circumstances - I would say that this is a very unfair comment.
     Irrelevant really if Callum isn't aware of the father of the author's situation.

If so, it would appear that the author had too much time on his hands. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    from a footballing perspective, Dartford are a better team and a better work out
    Based on what?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2021
    Riscardo said:
    Rothko said:
    Based on what?
    https://www.skysports.com/football/competitions/vanarama-national-league-south/table

Keep scrolling to find Welling. ;-)
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Riscardo said:
    Rothko said:
    Based on what?
    https://www.skysports.com/football/competitions/vanarama-national-league-south/table

Keep scrolling to find Welling. ;-)
    This.

But let's be honest, no side in that league should test us in any way. Physically or technically. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Yup a year after Berti left Inter for Spurs.  Was good of them. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    PopIcon said:

Absolutely.  You are right there.

Did you Google that info or know that before you posted?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    PopIcon said:

Knew before I posted. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    PopIcon said:

Knew before I posted. 
    Wonder how many games he played for us?
  • Options
    Recent games against Welling have seen different Charlton teams in each half. Usually before key players have been signed so U23s were playing.
  • Options
    I think that the fans should set the pre season schedule.
    Oh blimey.......that would mean a trip to Torquay & one to Marseille 😉😄
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    PopIcon said:

Knew before I posted. 
    He didn't did he?  I am sure I saw him in the stifs at Park View Road, funny enough, though.  I was well excited he was good in Italian 90.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    PopIcon said:

Knew before I posted. 
    He didn't did he?  I am sure I saw him in the stifs at Park View Road, funny enough, though.  I was well excited he was good in Italian 90.
    Nicola Berti was on trial at Charlton back in October 1999 where he played at Welling in a friendly on a Monday evening where he scored in a 2-0 win. The 2nd friendly against Welling that season.

Berti moved on not long after that and ended up in Spain with Alaves later that year. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    redman said:
    Scoham said:
    This is totally disgraceful. What on earth is she playing at. She has no mandate to do this. There are a few disgruntled fans but if you look at the likes it seems to me there are more CAFC fans liking the game against Dartford than those complaining! 
    It’s not “totally disgraceful” though, is it? It’s actually of no great importance at all.
    You are of course right as per usual. It is a bit arrogant raising this but as nobody will really pay any attention to it, it really is of no importance. I say that because friendlies are there to get the team ready and not to entertain us. We can disagree on here, but we shouldn't be complaining to the club. We have to trust the club and take them as they come. We won't be playing Welling but will be playing Dartford at the end of it all.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Scoham said:
    This is totally disgraceful. What on earth is she playing at. She has no mandate to do this. There are a few disgruntled fans but if you look at the likes it seems to me there are more CAFC fans liking the game against Dartford than those complaining! 
    It’s not “totally disgraceful” though, is it? It’s actually of no great importance at all.
    You are of course right as per usual. It is a bit arrogant raising this but as nobody will really pay any attention to it, it really is of no importance. I say that because friendlies are there to get the team ready and not to entertain us. We can disagree on here, but we shouldn't be complaining to the club. We have to trust the club and take them as they come. We won't be playing Welling but will be playing Dartford at the end of it all.
    Not really commentIng on the friendlies as such but on the overreaction to the tweet.