Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accrington v Charlton | Sat 1 May | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    3-0 as the Addicks get back to winning ways...
  • Options
    Big game, though bizarrely I don’t feel particularly enthused for it. I suppose in my heart I just don’t think we are good enough, solid enough, stable enough as a side to go up and I just want the season done and dusted now. 

A defeat almost certainly will do that. Expect a draw though and the uncertainty extended. Win, and like the fool I always am I’ll be saying ‘if blah blah, anything can happen etc’
    This is where I am too. Just never felt fully confident in this side the whole season that we would be good enough when push comes to shove. With very few exceptions we always have a mistake in us and more often than not it gets punished. 

I know most supporters of Div 1 clubs would probably say the same, so this is definitely an assessment made with the heart rather than the head. But unlike with other years I go into every game not having a clue about the likely outcome. Like today, we're pushing for a play off place so should be all guns blazing yet are just as likely to put in another lacklustre shift resulting in a 1-1 or a loss. Just seems to the Charlton way at the moment...

• Options
    Big game, though bizarrely I don’t feel particularly enthused for it. I suppose in my heart I just don’t think we are good enough, solid enough, stable enough as a side to go up and I just want the season done and dusted now. 

A defeat almost certainly will do that. Expect a draw though and the uncertainty extended. Win, and like the fool I always am I’ll be saying ‘if blah blah, anything can happen etc’
    Feel the same. Against Crewe I was the most excited/nervy I've felt for sometime but not really feeling anything for this yet. Hopefully a few beers and watching the pre match will change that. 
  • Options
    Dull, hard-working, uneventful, turgid, forgettable battle, with Charlton coming out seven-nil winners.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Thanks for a quality preview. 

Chucks is being kept in cotton wool - ready to be sold. 

If things don’t go our way this season - just imagine another year in this dross league and playing one up front at home.  
    It will be like watching paint dry. 
    no one will be paying a fee for Chuks, he's out of contract.
    I’d happily give him away!!, I know probably not a popular comment but I think he is way over rated and at his level, especially with the special treatment of game management required to get a tune out of him.he has the movement of the titanic and fouls too much which always breaks our attacks down. 
    The problem caused by the issue with Chuks would simply be resolved by having 3 other strikers you could almost always perm 2 from.  That hasn't been the case at all this season.  

If he could play 90 minutes 3 times a week, or even close to it, he wouldn't be in league 1.   If we went into next season with Stockley, Washington, Aneke and a Taylor, Clarke-Harris or Toney type striker Aneke would be a massive asset.

Instead we have had to play Stockley on his own or use Bogle to just fill time until Chuks can come on.  Neither option is ideal! 
  • Options
    Got a bad feeling about today, so decided to pop this on. No doubt they will all come in bar us scrapping a draw and still pretty much being out the race.
  • Options
    If we just play with one striker again we can kiss goodbye to the Play Offs . 

I'd start with Stockley and Washington and replace Watson with Pratley. 

Basically it's shit or bust.

Prediction - 2-2 

• Options
    A draw wouldn't be a disaster as Lincoln and Hull won't have as much to play for as us . But I think we will go one better today - 2-1 away win. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I think 74 points will do it so 2 wins and a draw, Possibly just 2 wins and 73 points. It doesn't matter which games you get them from although a win and a draw from our last two games or one win even, will look much more doable than 2 wins given the opponents. A win today is very important.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    A draw wouldn't be a disaster as Lincoln and Hull won't have as much to play for as us . But I think we will go one better today - 2-1 away win. 
    Depends if Lincoln beat Peterborough today, if they do then they'll have everything to play for as can still get second.

They may show up on Tuesday just to cement themselves the third place slot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Facts:
    Home 6w 7d 8L.   Away 12w 6d 4L

18th at home with 2 to go.
    3rd away with 1 to go.

Only ever been a coach and manager in grass roots football for youngsters but I would move heaven and earth to improve our home record if I was Cafc manager.

From moving training to the valley pitch for a couple of sessions so the players know every blade of grass and learn to love the place so they can't wait to perform on match days there. So many away players have raised their game and scored some crackers along with the gifts.

Realize that even if you hit the jackpot and score 6 goals away from home, that has no bearing on playing at home where the space when we attack disappears and we get hit in transition where we just don't have the pace to cover. If you have two strikers at home then you have more chance of a partnership developing with flick ons and players to hit as unless you have a Frank Lampard type Midfielder, the chances go begging.

The Aneke situation where he is fit to be named in the 18 man squad 35 times this season but the minutes he plays are limited has to be resolved because it just adds to my frustration if not yours.

We might just as well start Chuks and if he breaks down, so be it, because we are in the last chance play off saloon.
    Same goes for Conor Washington now that we are running out of game.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    A formation that works well when opponents open up may not do if they get bodies behind the ball and break on you. It can also get into your head, and the players may be more confident now that today is an away game. I wouldn't be too frustrated seeing a 4-3-3 but only if we react to the game going away from us quickly, instantly even if it becomes the case. Of course two home games follow. It might be best in a strange sort of way if Lincoln beat Posh today as they will need a win which could help us.

A win today and a few results gong our way may mean a draw won't be a disaster on Tuesday. It could even mean a defeat won't be a disaster in the best scenario. But we can only control our games and it is in our hands. We have to keep it in our hands.  
  • Options
    I know what your saying  king addict about stockley being in goal scoring form but to me I think we’ve got two choices today we can go with a front two of Aneke and Washington and a midfield four of Shinnie jf-c pratley and gilbey that would be my first choice so that we don’t get overrun in midfield and can hit Aneke with high balls or balls to feet with more confidence something dangerous will come from it.  Or you could go flat out with stockley,Aneke,and Washington but I think that would leave us woefully short in midfield seeing as pratleys doing the defensive side of things that would also put an anchor on gilbey he wouldn’t be able to make his long runs to get beyond the front 3 or if he did that would leave only pratley and Shinnie in midfield and my fear is they would get mullerd
    therefore go with my first choice,then bring on stockley and millar when the players get tired.
  • Options

Pretty much sums it up for me.

A win today puts us in a great position and one where Lincoln on Tuesday becomes the biggest game of the season. A win today would mean I’d have to mentally prepare myself for disappointment on Tuesday because it would be this season all over.

We have some very good players for this league and should be higher than what we are. However, as a team we haven’t been good enough throughout and don’t really deserve to be in the top 6.

Tough game today and one where I hope Aneke gets a start and Schwartz is in the squad. 
  • Options
    And it’s fantastic to see Gilbey really coming on these last few weeks. Said months ago there’s more to come from him but too many wrote him off. Now he’s putting himself in a position where he cannot be dropped. 
  • Options
    I’ll be surprised if there are any major changes to the team today so expect Stockley to start and Chuks and Washington on the bench. Might see Pratley in for Watson and maybe Shinnie on the bench instead of Morgan.
  • Options
    Likewise I dont think Nads will change the starting team much. He seems to have settled on his preferred starting lineup. Shinnie replaces Albie on the bench for me.
  • Options
    We win and ease back into sixth, thus raising our hopes before picking up no more two points from our last two games and not quite making the play-offs.

I hope so much I'm wrong about that second part.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the pink wafer biscuits are due to be delivered any minute, living the dream!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Thanks for a quality preview. 

Chucks is being kept in cotton wool - ready to be sold. 

If things don’t go our way this season - just imagine another year in this dross league and playing one up front at home.  
    It will be like watching paint dry. 
    no one will be paying a fee for Chuks, he's out of contract.
    I’d happily give him away!!, I know probably not a popular comment but I think he is way over rated and at his level, especially with the special treatment of game management required to get a tune out of him.he has the movement of the titanic and fouls too much which always breaks our attacks down. 
    The problem caused by the issue with Chuks would simply be resolved by having 3 other strikers you could almost always perm 2 from.  That hasn't been the case at all this season.  

If he could play 90 minutes 3 times a week, or even close to it, he wouldn't be in league 1.   If we went into next season with Stockley, Washington, Aneke and a Taylor, Clarke-Harris or Toney type striker Aneke would be a massive asset.

Instead we have had to play Stockley on his own or use Bogle to just fill time until Chuks can come on.  Neither option is ideal! 
    I agree to a point, I’m probably being a bit harsh on him, but I find him infuriating with his silly fouls. He looks like an injury waiting to happen when he runs. Almost muscle bound, I wonder if he streamlined a little whether it would help mobility and take pressure off his body. He does have some skill but I find him a hard watch at times, hence my view that league 1 is his level with all these things in mind. I love how people lol, if they don’t agree with an opinion though!!.😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll be watching the stream but have little hope we will make 6th.
  • Options
    Also just to say, as long as a player is wearing the Charlton shirt I will support them, if I like them or not. However I don’t think aneke will be in one for long which I’m not particularly bothered about.
  • Options
    Add me to the pack of people feeling really nonplussed about today's game. What an awful season this has been to watch. Just looking forward to it being over. 
  • Options
    I truly hope Adkins doesn’t keep the same side for today’s match all I can say is Johnny Jackson and Jason euell can’t have much say in choosing the side because I’m 100% sure they would put out a much more attacking side.
  • Options
    I’ll be surprised if there are any major changes to the team today so expect Stockley to start and Chuks and Washington on the bench. Might see Pratley in for Watson and maybe Shinnie on the bench instead of Morgan.
    Agree
  • Options
    Hope Nigel does not feel tempted to rest anyone for Lincoln and Hull. We've got to win this game. If we don't and fail to make the play-offs let's, at least, go down with all guns blazing.
     Would like to see Chuks and Shockley up top with Washington causing mayhem in the Accrington defence. It's hit or bust.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I think we have to go for it, I'd bring Shinnie back in instead of Watson, I'd put Aneke on from the start alongside Stockley and Washington for Maatsen, all or nothing at this stage of the season.
  • Options
    Accrington play with 3 huge centre halves, if we play Stockley up top on his own and we lump it up to him they will be laughing themselves silly. Let’s play chuks and Washington up there and scare them with pace. 
  • Options
    And just a quick one,I know everyone’s entitled to their opinion but ffs can we have a bit more positivity 
    please a lot of you are throwing the towel in before a balls been kicked, l know one thing, I wouldn’t want to be in a trench in a battle with some of you, you’ll be putting your arms in surrender before a bullets been fired,
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    And just a quick one,I know everyone’s entitled to their opinion but ffs can we have a bit more positivity 
    please a lot of you are throwing the towel in before a balls been kicked, l know one thing, I wouldn’t want to be in a trench in a battle with some of you, you’ll be putting your arms in surrender before a bullets been fired,
    Comparing Accrington v Charlton to trench warfare is a bit weird even for Charlton life.