Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accrington v Charlton | Sat 1 May | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Hello sinceiwasyoung please tell me your having a laugh putting maatsen Pearce and Watson in the side on Saturday to test them.Pearce has played well until the last two games costing us two goals Watson is so slow it’s unbelievable my nan’s quicker than him and she’s been dead for 30 years.and maatsen was lost on the wing like a schoolboy on a mans pitch.
  • Options
    Willo said:
    Really need risk starting Washington and Chuck's, what's the point saving them ? if we lose, it's pretty much game over. Also on a personal level I hate the long ball to stockley.
    Agreed, also start on the front foot rather than just knick a goal, with Washington pressing and both him and Aneke offering more of a threat it would make things alot easier and less painful to watch in my opinion.
  • Options
    Really feel we need to try Curb's 'starters and finishers' plan: Stockley and Schwartz to play first half and if we are not ahead, Chucks and Washington to finish. Why not? Ronnie would have buried all those balls flying around the box on Tuesday.....
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Barely recovered from Tuesday night, still feel very, very negative which is actually quite unlike me in terms of Charlton. However, that result knocked any hope I had. Can't see us getting a win here and our season will categorically be over. 

Hope I am wrong :blush:
  • Options
    well .. the time has come .. as we all know, if we lose this our play off hopes are all but finished  .. League One - Scores & Fixtures - Football - BBC Sport

Accrington Stanley 0 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton - we scrape a victory ..
  • Options
    Mixed feelings about this,sure would like to win and keep season going,but if we were to somehow get promoted,I think the putting together of a championship squad would be a massive task.No disrespect to any of the present lads,but who could you say would be comfortable and able to compete at the higher level.It just might be better if we concentrated on getting a squad good enough to win this league next season,and thereby being the crux of a championship competetive side.
  • Options
    Scrappy 2-1 win to keep our play-off hopes alive.
  • Options
    Mixed feelings about this,sure would like to win and keep season going,but if we were to somehow get promoted,I think the putting together of a championship squad would be a massive task.No disrespect to any of the present lads,but who could you say would be comfortable and able to compete at the higher level.It just might be better if we concentrated on getting a squad good enough to win this league next season,and thereby being the crux of a championship competetive side.
    I slightly agree with this. On the other hand, I want to get out of this league as soon as possible and if we have a slim possibility of doing so this season, I’ll take it. We managed to put a championship team together on a shoestring budget last time and only just got relegated. I have faith that with a higher budget, Gallen and co could put something together this summer which would keep us in the championship. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Accrington will come good.

2-0.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Can’t agree with this at all. I’d much rather be putting together a squad for the Championship than one for League One who’d have no guarantee of promotion next season. 
    Exactly this.
    Bigger clubs than us have been stuck in this league for years.
    Get out while you can.
  • Options
    Can’t agree with this at all. I’d much rather be putting together a squad for the Championship than one for League One who’d have no guarantee of promotion next season. 
    So would I,but my point is the squad as it stands,is no where near championship standard,and would need at least 12-15 new players bearing in mind loans going back,ages of players,out of contracts and those generally not up to championship standard.You would need a lot of time and money to do this,and as the play offs eat up whats left of May,there will only be 8-10 weeks before the season starts again in August .Of course there are no guarantees,but i think with maybe around 6 quality league one players coming in and possibly the emergence of Morgan,Henry,Barker and Vennings,we could have a squad capable of doing it.Anyway,an exciting week coming up.
  • Options
    Definitely an exciting week coming up but all depends on tomorrows result unless other results go our way to keep us in with a shout. Gonna be a rebuild whatever league we are in. With TS at the helm I am desperate to get out this division now and rebuild to consolidate in the championship. Hope the players we currently have are up for battling the next three games. Do they care enough? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Think we’ll win. 
    Hope Pearce is rested. Been great lately but looks like Bambi on ice again of late.
    Innis and Akin.
    Pratley for Watson.
    Millar Stockley and Washington up top. 
    Go for it. Shit or bust. 
    Me likey! or even as 4231, same personnel 
  • Options
    Amos
    Matthews, Innis, Fam, Purrington
    Watson JFC
    Washington Gilbey Millar
    Stockley

With the focus on Washington and Millar pushing on and trying to get onto Stockley flick ons. In an ideal world Aneke for Stockley. 
  • Options
    We need goals. Need to play our top scorers and give Ronnie a chance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nervy and not very pretty but 0-1 Charlton. 
  • Options
    Aneke/Stockley upfront with Washington is what I would like to see 
  • Options
    Thanks for a quality preview. 

Chucks is being kept in cotton wool - ready to be sold. 

If things don’t go our way this season - just imagine another year in this dross league and playing one up front at home.  
    It will be like watching paint dry. 
  • Options
    Willo said:
    Really need risk starting Washington and Chuck's, what's the point saving them ? if we lose, it's pretty much game over. Also on a personal level I hate the long ball to stockley.

In my view, there are only good passes whether short or long. In a couple of games the opposition stopped contesting with Stockley outside the area because he was winning the ball every time. The problem Is he was winning the ball but didnt have a player near enough to him.to benefit on occasions.

I said  with 7 games to go if we could perm any 2 from 3 with Chuks, Conor and Stockley every game and stopped giving gifts away we would cruise into the Play offs. That hasn't come to fruition and history will repeat itself against Hull at the Valley when we won't have the ability to beat the Champions. 

Personally I thought it was worth the risk giving Aneke 45 minutes against Crewe who always look vulnerable to powerful strikers like Chuks.
  • Options
    Thanks for a quality preview. 

Chucks is being kept in cotton wool - ready to be sold. 

If things don’t go our way this season - just imagine another year in this dross league and playing one up front at home.  
    It will be like watching paint dry. 
    no one will be paying a fee for Chuks, he's out of contract.
  • Options
    It's a tricky one. Lose this and we are not going up. 
    But I feel we won't be good enough to win the playoffs anyways. 
    If by chance we do win it, (playoffs) then we will need a brand new squad for the championship, minimum 15 -18 players I'd say. And that's a big ask to avoid relegation next season, with a completely new team.

So if we Built a squad like Powell did in 2011, with enough championship quality, and romp league 1, as is the expectation, giving the squad momentum, confidence and belief to then have a proper go at championship survival. Look at how many of that Powell team have and are still playing premier league and championship football. 
    If we go up this year, I fear we'll come back down again and have to start the process again, 2 years on.  
    Playing the long game may well benefit our longer term plan. 

As for Saturday.... 
    CAFC 7 -0 and the wasteful hope continues! 
     ;) 
  • Options
    We need goals. Need to play our top scorers and give Ronnie a chance. 
    Talk about an oxymoron  :D
    No need to be rude.