Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Ufton RIP

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    He was Malcolm Allison's best man I believe.

Remember seeing them chatting in the director's bar at Twerton Park after we beat Bristol Rovers 2-0 (Pardew 2). 

I got his autograph in about 1980 when he was playing a charity cricket match on Kew Green. 
    Derek and Malcolm were young players together at the Valley before the latter moved to West Ham. 
  • Options
    I just missed seeing him play but he was already a club legend, along with Johny Summers.
    Saw him many times around the club, his love for the club & supporter's shone through.
    As has been said already, a complete gentleman.
                             RIP Derek Ufton.
  • Options
    A consistent sight in the West Stand over the years.  I'm sure he will be sorely missed by his many friends at Charlton.  So well thought of by everyone.

My condolences to his family.

May you rest in peace Mr Ufton.

• Options
    Met him once about 8 years ago. One of those wise old fellows with an easy way with people. Thought at the time that he knew how to be happy and at ease with himself and others. 
  • Options
    Only just turned on the England coverage.

Any mention of Derek?
  • Options
    I was at school with his sons Tim and Johnny. Used to give us training sessions. Once told us about the 7-6 game and his reaction coming around in hospital from the anaesthetic. We didn’t believe him at the time! RIP
  • Options
    Rest in peace, Derek. A true Charlton legend.

Also wondering if he was acknowledged during the England coverage - was he not the oldest surviving international? 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Surprised we’ve not heard from Suthers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only met Derek the once I think, back when I was a Junior Red, but as everyone else has said, he was a lovely man. RIP.
  • Options
    He should have had something official, C.B.E, M.B.E or perhaps a Knighthood. At Peace.
  • Options
    Never met Derek but my old fella was at DGS at the same time, just a year or two below. Being a decent cricketer himself, he always spoke of Derek in very admiring terms.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    SoundAsa£ said:
    He commented on twitter
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    Stevelamb said:

Derek and Mike Bailey if I’m not mistaken.
  • Options

• Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Matterface is a CAFC fan isn't he?
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Is that Eric Lancelott?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
     Chelsea according to wiki...
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    sam3110 said:
     Chelsea according to wiki...
    Ah ok, just I've heard him mention us quite a bit in games he's commented on
  • Options
    SoundAsa£ said:
    He commented on twitter
    That Wolves team was the nuts. My dad could recite it at the drop of a hat. He loved Wolves my dad. 
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Johnny Bumstead I believe.