Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Ufton RIP

Comments

• Options
    Had the privilege to have met Derek on a couple of occasions - the last time was at the Oval for a Surrey Kent game.Had a great chat with him whilst his lovely wife waited patiently whilst we talked about Charlton.A truly lovely man. RIP
  • Options
    A wonderful Man, and a great Charlton Legend 
     RIP 👍👍👍
  • Options
    I never saw him play either football or cricket but in the 1960s I was very impressed by what I heard of his sporting prowess.
    RIP
  • Options
    Used to love chatting to Derek when he came round the office. Such a gentleman. Rip
  • Options
    RIP Derek 
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    Great Man RIP.
  • Options
    Another Charlton Legend gone but not forgotten RIP
  • Options
    RIP Derek.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Derek. Thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    RIP Derek
  • Options
    A true gentleman who loved Charlton Athletic and Kent CCC. His recollection of past games was phenomenal. Rest in peace.   
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    I met him at the Museum opening.  He was thoroughly charming.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Derek
  • Options
    A true CAFC legend. RIP
  • Options
    I met him once and as said on here before a lovely man. RIP.
  • Options
    R.I.P a great player and Ambassador for your club
  • Options
    RIP cafc legend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Derek
    One of my boyhood heroes. 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    RIP Mr Ufton.  Had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions during the recent Duchatelet years.  I don't think there's any other Charlton player I'd rather have met.  Such an interesting, engaging and genuine person.  Always wanted to ask him about his England cap, but always ended up talking about the mess at Charlton.  After him asking me more questions, he thanked me for recognising him.  What a joy it was to chat with him.

Condolences to Judy and all his family.
  • Options
    RIP to a proper Charlton man.
  • Options
    Derek Ufton would often travell with the C.A.S.C. in the early 1990s on the train. He would always ring up to ask us to save him a ticket or four. He and the other directors he travelled with were all members of the C.A.S.C. Last spoke with him up at a midweek game in Sheffield one cold Febuary evening in 2007 . Always had time for a chat just as long that the 7-6 Huddersfield game did not come to the fore. He was afterall famous for many other things in football and other sports.

RIP Derek.  Condolences to his family and friends.
  • Options
    Very sad. My Dad used to love telling me about him, his dodgy shoulder, the 7-6 game etc.
    Being quite shy, I don't often approach people I don't know. But one match day, on seeing Derek standing outside the West Stand, I plucked up the courage to say hello.
    He instantly made me feel at ease and we had a lovely chat. It was such a huge honour for me, but he told me it was his!
    Thoroughly nice, decent, down to earth man and my Dad will give him a big welcome "up there".
    RIP Derek, condolences to your family.
  • Options
    He was Malcolm Allison's best man I believe.

Remember seeing them chatting in the director's bar at Twerton Park after we beat Bristol Rovers 2-0 (Pardew 2). 

I got his autograph in about 1980 when he was playing a charity cricket match on Kew Green. 
  • Options
    He dislocated his shoulder more than twenty times!