Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Ufton RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Sad news, as Soundas said a fantastic ambassador for our club. Seemed that Everyone who met him said he was a lovely man 
  • Options
    RIP, a truly great man. Got me wondering who was the last person to play professional football and first class cricket at the same time. Ian Botham played a few games for Yeovil and Scunthorpe but only dabbled in football. 
  • Options
    RIP Derek
  • Options
    What a shame, a true club legend and ambassador..........RIP Derek.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    One of our legends. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Sir
  • Options
    Sorry to hear another of our own has passed away.  Saw Derek play.

RIP 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Legend RIP
  • Options
    R.I.P. sincere condolences to his family and friends
  • Options
    RIP Derek
  • Options
    RIP, lovely chap. I met him a couple of years ago when he hosted fans getting a chance to use the hospitality and sit in the directors area.
  • Options
    RIP. An absolute top man
  • Options
    A true legend who always had time to come and chat to my mum when she was a guest at the Valley. What a wonderful life he had. 
    RIP Derek. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Derek. Did do much for KCCC and CAFC on the pitch and off for the vast majority of his life. A true star. 
  • Options
    Having a cricket mad uncle I knew his name as a Dartford Cricket legend who also played for Charlton lol.
    Absolute sporting royalty in our house.
    May he RIP ❤️
  • Options
    RIP. Met Derek a few times - a true gentleman
  • Options
    RIP a great sportsman and gentleman. I remember chatting to him briefly
    at a meeting he attended for Charlton supporters at the Bromley and Widmore
    Working man's club. Sure Henry Irving would have been there.
    He told a wonderful story about bumping into Bill Shankley at Euston (I think).
    Shankley had been manager of Huddersfield when Charlton beat them in
    the incredible 7-6 game. He said Shankley just said to Derek ''I never played
    him again
  • Options
    talking about the Huddersfield goalkeeper!
  • Options
    Old enough to have watched him play many times, including a few for Kent. His name is rightly known with Charlton. RIP Mr Ufton
  • Options
    RIP 
    As many others have said and done, I met Derek a few times and he was the utmost gentleman to everyone. True legend.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

• Options
    edited March 2021
    It's refreshing, these days, to think of sporting heroes being legendary as much for their decency off the pitch as their excellence on it.

RIP Derek and condolences to his family and loved ones.

PS quite pleased there's no game, so the news can have the prominence on the site it deserves.