Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer 2021

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Absolutely gutted Eloy Jimenez. Crazy injury will miss 6 months of the season, just as we have our best team in years. 
    Are you a White Sox fan? Did I know this already? I'm a huge White Sox fan. Was heartbroken about the Eloy news, and heartbroken for him. 
    I think I did mention it before.  I watch all white sox games and most mets games. The Twins look decent but I’m hoping we just have enough to win the division. Winning a play off series is what I want from this season. Hoping Lucas and the rest of the pitchers stay injury free. 
    That's awesome! It's been fun the last few days, hasn't it? I'm trying to finish my work up by midday so I can watch the doubleheader with the Royals live. 
  • Options
    I’ve got well into baseball the past few weeks. Always had an interest after going to a dodgers game in 2012 and a (minor league) Vancouver Canadians game in 2017 but found it hard to follow from here.

I really like the Red Sox though after visiting Boston a couple of years ago so have been following them. The highlights on YouTube are great as I just catch up on the games every morning.

What I've found difficult is keeping up to date with everything else happening in the mlb. I can keep track of the red sox through watching highlights but I still have no idea whats generally happened in the leagues. How does everyone keep up to date?
  • Options
    I’ve got well into baseball the past few weeks. Always had an interest after going to a dodgers game in 2012 and a (minor league) Vancouver Canadians game in 2017 but found it hard to follow from here.

I really like the Red Sox though after visiting Boston a couple of years ago so have been following them. The highlights on YouTube are great as I just catch up on the games every morning.

What I've found difficult is keeping up to date with everything else happening in the mlb. I can keep track of the red sox through watching highlights but I still have no idea whats generally happened in the leagues. How does everyone keep up to date?
    Ummm ... did you try mlb.com?
  • Options
    Surprise, surprise. Giants looking good. You just never know with baseball. 
  • Options
    Not even in to June. Season has a long way to go. Lots of surprises so far but let’s wait and see 
  • Options

I follow various various SF Giants sites on FB and then there’s the MLB on Apple TV.
  • Options

https://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/scoreboard
  • Options
    Thanks, I just wondered if there was a roundup show or similar that people watched but clearly not!
  • Options
    BT Sport cover the baseball.
  • Options
    They do a ‘Best of’ show and ‘Caps off’ as well as live games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well i see the red sox are doing well. at least since my phone has for some unknown reason being giving me updates on their games in the last few weeks. just had a look and their top of the table. though for the life of me i cant work out the table. I can they have won more games than they have lost but by the looks of it they have played more games. I cant work out a points total, i guess PCT is the main thing to look at for that? maybe someone can help me understand?

AL EASTW-LPCTGBHOMEAWAYRSDIFFL10STRK
    24-16.600-12-1112-5203376-4W2
    21-17.5532.011-910-814897-3W1
    20-17.5412.57-513-12178306-4L1
    21-19.5253.09-1212-716676-4W2
    16-22.4217.05-1411-8142-213-7L3
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Miss the days of Channel 5 baseball with Jonny Gould and Josh Chetwynd .... loved that show 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    well i see the red sox are doing well. at least since my phone has for some unknown reason being giving me updates on their games in the last few weeks. just had a look and their top of the table. though for the life of me i cant work out the table. I can they have won more games than they have lost but by the looks of it they have played more games. I cant work out a points total, i guess PCT is the main thing to look at for that? maybe someone can help me understand?

At the end of the season, the only important column is the W-L column. Whoever gets most wins ends up top. That’s it.
    However, they rank the leagues by PCT, which is useful for comparing records when one team has played more than another and gives a reasonable idea of who has a good or bad record. It is helpful when you know that generally, under .500 is a bad record, .500-.550 is respectable but unlikely to win anything, .550-.600 will potentially challenge for the postseason (or possibly the division title) and .600 or above certainly should be challenging for the division title. But this will very much depend on the division. Looking at the AL East table you’ve posted, the O’s look pretty dire. If they keep that up, the top teams might need more than .600 to win because teams in the same division play each other many times in the season, but that will also depend on how the AL East teams perform against everyone else. For example, in 2019, the Cardinals won the NL central with a .562 record, while the Indians came second in the AL Central with a .574 record and missed out on the postseason. So it does pay to look across the leagues as they move into the second half of the season and you can start to see the stronger and weaker divisions.

Home and Away and the Last 10 and current streak are not that useful, but interesting to see how form is going.

Towards the end of the season, the E# column will appear. This tells you how many defeats (or wins for the league leader) it will take for a trailing team to be eliminated from the postseason this is quite useful down the home stretch.
  • Options

There is no points total in baseball, there are no draws, so it’s just the most wins. During the season, the teams rarely have all played the same number of games due to days off in the schedule and cancelled games due to the weather, so they sort the table on win percentage. 
  • Options

And GB is games behind, roughly how many more games than the leaders a team would have to win to catch them up, but not exactly because the Blue Jays are 2.5 games behind and you can't win half a game.  Them having played three games less is also factored in, hence the half.
  • Options
    As a Dodgers fan I can't say i'm that pleased to see the Giants doing so well, but fair play to them for getting things going and with the Padres also doing well the NL West looks like being very competitive this season. Interesting to see that the Dodgers have picked up Albert Pujols from the Angels on a reputed 1 Year deal. Maybe not the player he quite was, but his experience not to mention 3,000 plus hits could be very useful as the season develops.
  • Options
    I am enjoying the season so far! Go Giants!

• Options
    A word for the Diamondbacks and Orioles whose road losing streaks currently sit at 23 & 19 respectively (and counting). 

23 is an MLB record.
  • Options
    Yep. The Giants are on fire. Just keep hitting. I keep waiting for the bubble to burst. Go Giants!!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    10 in a row for the Astros including a sweep of the White Sox to lead the American League. :-)

Run differential leaders:

Astros +135
    Giants +101
    Dodgers +96
    White Sox +86
    Padres +79
    Rays +75

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    In a shite season for the Cards, Adam Wainwright, just 18 days shy of his 40th birthday, shows his class yet again with an 88 pitch shutout of the Pirates (11th complete game shutout of his career). Went 2 for 4 with an RBI with the bat.
    Such a shame that the Cards have failed to be competitive at the business end of seasons for so many of the final years of Waino and Molina's careers. But 2 great players still chalking up some top drawer performances.  
  • Options
    Go Giants!

And it’s win 75 against the Rockies!
  • Options
    Go Giants!

They’re home run machines atm. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Go Giants!

They’re home run machines atm. 
    And then they promptly lost the next game!
  • Options
    Chris Sale made an encouraging return after two years out with Tommy John surgery for the Red Sox. Could be a massive boost and help the club over the line into October after they slumped in recent weeks 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Go Blue Jays! Put a run together over the last 15 games or so. All set for a nail-biting finish in the AL East
  • Options
    Some how the worst Cardinals team in living memory are now on a 9-1 winning streak and two game clear for the last wild card place.

I prefer baseball to football right now for some reason.

Go Cards
  • Options
    The AL East race for wildcard has been fascinating this year. Looks like two of them may get through, but I really have no idea whether it will be Redsox, Bluejays or Yankees that misses out.
  • Options
    Some how the worst Cardinals team in living memory are now on a 9-1 winning streak and two game clear for the last wild card place.

I prefer baseball to football right now for some reason.

Go Cards
    Amazing form at just the right moment. But a do or die game in LA to progress to meet the Giants still looks a huge ask.
    Still, COYRbirds