Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    This is the problem with picking players on form. 

Lingard can score as many goals as he wants for West Ham, he's still rubbish. 
    Eh?
    28 year old that is comfortably the worst player on the England squad. Offers nothing long-term and wouldn't be good enough to get into the squad if he didn't used to play for Man United. 
    Comfortably worse than Dier?

He was a part of the England squad under Southgate in 2018, so he knows what he’s capable of. He’s scored 5 in 7 for West Ham, including games against Arsenal and Spurs. I’m not saying he’s a world beater but he’s a popular member of the squad and he’s far from ‘rubbish’.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Eh?
    28 year old that is comfortably the worst player on the England squad. Offers nothing long-term and wouldn't be good enough to get into the squad if he didn't used to play for Man United. 

He was a part of the England squad under Southgate in 2018, so he knows what he’s capable of. He’s scored 5 in 7 for West Ham, including games against Arsenal and Spurs. I’m not saying he’s a world beater but he’s a popular member of the squad and he’s far from ‘rubbish’.
    He's certainly not rubbish, he turns players inside out and gets accurate shots off. 

Ollie Watkins now an England goalscorer too. Hard and low as I type this. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Eh?

He's certainly not rubbish, he turns players inside out and gets accurate shots off. 

Ollie Watkins now an England goalscorer too. Hard and low as I type this. 
    'Accurate shots' straight at the keeper at a snails pace. 

Haven't seen him do anything other than shoot at the keeper and giving 1-2s to better players making runs past him. 
  • Options

Eh?

Just watch him for 5 minutes. 

Looks like a kid that's won a competition jogging around while the team ignores passing to him. 

Foden on the other hand is running the show. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Poland are potentially making this World Cup Qualifying Group too easy for us, watch this bite me on the arse

2-0 down @ Hungary, pull it back to 2-2, cant complete the double Golfie, go 3-2 down, some fella called Lewandowski has made it 3-3
  • Options
    Did Pope just come up for a corner? 😂
  • Options
    Good point for Scotland at home to Austria, came back from behind twice to draw 2-2 in a game that would definitely have lost a year or two ago. 

Look out for John McGinn’s brilliant bicycle kick to score the last goal in the match on the highlights. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Good point for Scotland at home to Austria, came back from behind twice to draw 2-2 in a game that would definitely have lost a year or two ago. 

Look out for John McGinn’s brilliant bicycle kick to score the last goal in the match on the highlights. 
    Big point for Scotland, they cant afford to lose to Austria as Denmark will surely win that Group so its those two fighting for the Play-Offs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keeper had a great game, England did enough. I thought the ref was very good too. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I’m not sure what the Foden comparison is. I said he’s no world beater, Foden is on another level than most. I wouldn’t say Lingaard has been any worse than Sterling who looked greedy and wasteful. 

My main gripe was the original comment, suggesting you can’t pick on form cos players are still rubbish. Lingaards form, with Grealish and Maddison out, makes him deserving in being there.
    I just look at Lingard being there and honestly think what's the point? He's 28 now and will never play for England at an international tournament again. He was comfortably the worst midfielder in that B-level England team and it showed. 

He's probably our 6th best Left Midfielder if that. 

Why not give someone a chance like a Bellingham and let them grow into the team. Then they can always drop back when others are fit without it seeming like a snub. 

Just pick one of Hudson-Odoi, Greenwood or Smith-Rowe and they'd get a lot more benefit from being in the senior set-up than being managed by Boothroyd losing to Switzerland under-21s. 
  • Options
    Thought we did okay. Mount was bright in the first half as were Bellingham and foden in the second half. 

DCL and Lingard missed a few sitters and I’m sorry but I don’t get the praise for Phillips, looks bang average in every game I’ve seen him for England.

Hope Southgate gets Foden, Mount and Grealish in his starting 11 in June.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Lingard is fine for the squad when we’re playing three games in five/six days against San Marino etc but I would hope he doesn’t make the Euros in the summer. 

Saw that out of nine clear cut chances, England missed seven of them. From memory, roughly half would’ve involved Lingard. Two out of nine were scored and then three goals came from lower probability opportunities.
  • Options
    As I said, with the exclusion of Grealish, Maddison, Sancho and Barnes, Lingaard deserved his call up.
  • Options
    That was a 7/10 sort of performance. Comfortable score line, without being perhaps as big as we would have liked, but Southgate has to juggle his squad, thanks to the ridiculous schedule. With 3 games in 7 days, inevitably the teams for the easier matches will be a bit mix and match.

Their keeper had a decent game, but then while he hasn't played this season, his club is in the 3rd tier in Italy so a respectable level of football
  • Options
    Canada beat Bermuda 5-1 in their first Qualifying game

Millar came off the bench on the 69th minute when it was 4-1
  • Options
    Bellingham is ridiculous for his age, him and Foden are absolutely top drawer.

Lingard frustrates the hell out of me, not even sure what position he plays really. Can't see him being anywhere near the final Euro squad (baring injuries)
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I haven't been glued to this but I reckon Pope, after tonight's exemplary performance, might end up getting the number one jersey permanently 
    These are games where a celebrity could pay to be picked in goal. We would have still won whoever plays and it might add some interest.

It is hard to judge and a bit pointless but for me first half was 8 out of ten and second half 6.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Canada beat Bermuda 5-1 in their first Qualifying game

Millar came off the bench on the 69th minute when it was 4-1
    Provided an assist.

https://chicagoaddick.wordpress.com/2021/03/26/millar-on-as-sub-as-canada-thrash-bermuda/
  • Options
    Lingard is fine for the squad when we’re playing three games in five/six days against San Marino etc but I would hope he doesn’t make the Euros in the summer. 

Saw that out of nine clear cut chances, England missed seven of them. From memory, roughly half would’ve involved Lingard. Two out of nine were scored and then three goals came from lower probability opportunities.
    It struck me that after we'd gone about three goals up, the England players all thought they could get on the scoresheet. So we ended up taking quite a few long range shots when we might have done better to share the ball a bit more. Always good to win, but as a spectacle it wasn't that great. I can't say I've seen that many 5-0 wins in my time, but that's surely the dullest. Still, you can only beat what's in front of you.

PS, I absolutley hate that blue kit with the revolting three lions badge. I take it, some kindergaten palace fan won a competition to design it.

• Options
    31 shots and only 5 goals is a bit of a negative. Their keeper made two or three great saves though.
  • Options
    That was a funny old game ,we could have easily hit 15 goals, their keeper did alright but we were wasteful. Missing quite a few key players but it looked a good performance, its important the squad gels so even though its only San Marino good to see us playing some good stuff. Sterling , i am a fan but he was in a proper greedy mood, playing like someone on fifa who doesn't want to pass and some of his shots were awful , add in getting in the way of a couple of other chances it wasn't his finest moment. Although it might be as he isn't in the greatest form maybe he was using it to get himself back into form score a few goals and then go back to city and the rest of the season. 

Mount is class, i am sorry there is no fave here, he generally deserves to be in that 11, i quite like him in the middle and getting forward when possible dropping into the spaces. 

Lingard, i get why people knock him, heis a prick tbf but his form has been so good they had to give him a chance,he might still be involved in the Euros but not sure.

My biggest problem overall, again we play 2 naturally defensive midfielders vs bloody San Marino, like what is the even point??!!! It looked like Warde-Prowse was a bit more advanced but still didn't see the point in Phillips playing, these games we really should put that extra attacker on. Even more so as they just sit back, so it gives us another outlet, i can understand against maybe the top 8 countries or sides who can really hurt us but as default its bollocks when we dont need 2. 

Not sure we will learn much from that game, but nice to blood in players like Bellingham/Watkins, Bellingham actually just looked like he had already been playing for England.

A side note i am quite happy we didn't score many more, i had a feeling whenever we get these games we dont always perform or score goals for fun. I had under 7 goals, win both halfs and win by 4 goals at least. the line was 7 goals or more was odds on so kind of backed against the grain but not much else out there for value. 2.5/1 on all of that felt reasonable. 
  • Options
    I honestly think Bellingham deserves a shot at starting in our first team in the midfield. 

He's so good on the ball that alongside Foden they could make a very formidable midfield when we're dominating games. 

In the midfield 3 you need someone like him to get that extra touch on the ball and open the game up. 
  • Options
    I honestly think Bellingham deserves a shot at starting in our first team in the midfield. 

He's so good on the ball that alongside Foden they could make a very formidable midfield when we're dominating games. 

In the midfield 3 you need someone like him to get that extra touch on the ball and open the game up. 
    We will end up with Henderson, dier and rice.
  • Options
    Portugal look like they’ve got everything. I’d rather play Germany or France in the last 16 than them.
  • Options
    Turkey have had two brilliant results in their opening qualifiers - won 4-2 against Netherlands and 3-0 away to Norway, the two teams they’ll be competing against for the automatic qualifying position.