Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021

He always plays like he’s had bran flakes for breakfast when he plays for us. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Denmark are the only team left in UEFA Qualification with a 100% record
  • Options
    As things stand in Asia... Top two from each Group qualify for the World Cup - The two teams in 3rd face off against each other in a Play-Off, with the winners then playing an Intercontinental Play-Off

As things stand in Africa... Group winners will advance to a final Knockout round

Where the five winners (home / away legs) will each Qualify for the World Cup

• Options
    Terrible result for Wales.
  • Options
    North America... Top three Nations will Qualify, the team in fourth will go into the InterContinental Play-Off

South America... Top four Nations will Qualify, the team in fifth goes into the InterContinental Play-Off

• Options
    Gunter played the full 90, Washington 68 minutes. 
  • Options
    Japan losing 1-0 at home to Oman is a shocker..!
  • Options
    Chris Gunter, on his 104th appearance, flew down the right flank before playing a superb pass into the box for Wilson but the Fulham forward shot wide with only 37 seconds gone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chris Gunter, on his 104th appearance, flew down the right flank before playing a superb pass into the box for Wilson but the Fulham forward shot wide with only 37 seconds gone
    Wonder if Wilson fluffed his lines because he wasnt concentrating, or whether he was in shock at what he was witnessing? ;)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Wonder if Wilson fluffed his lines because he wasnt concentrating, or whether he was in shock at what he was witnessing? ;)
  • Options
    Messi scores a hat trick as Argentina beat Bolivia 3-0 and in doing so overtakes Pele as the highest scoring South American in international football. 
  • Options
    Iraq v Lebanon finished 0-0

Ghandour was on the bench but didnt play any part
  • Options
    Iraq v Lebanon finished 0-0

Ghandour was on the bench but didnt play any part
    Glad I missed that one!
  • Options
    Slightly strange that none of the European qualifiers are being played tonight, and instead are Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday

I suppose UEFA doesn't want a clash with the Nations League
  • Options
    I think the managers will like this as it gives them time with their squads.
  • Options
    Nigeria 0-1 Central African Republic 
  • Options
    Japan aren’t doing very well I see 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Belgium already basically won the group our game tonight is irrelevant. 
  • Options
    Isn't there still second place to fight for?

Gunter starts at RB
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Isn't there still second place to fight for?

Gunter starts at RB
    Wales and Czech Rep are pretty much already guaranteed a play-off place due to their performances in the Nations League.

UEFA qualifying works as follows:

13 places up for grabs

-10 group winners automatically qualify
    (atm: Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Croatia, England, Germany)

-10 group runners up advance to play-off round
    (atm: Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, Czech Rep, Scotland, Norway, Russia, Albania, Armenia)

-2 best Nations League performers that didn't finish top two in a qualifying group advance to play-off round
    (atm this is Wales and Austria, if Wales beat Czech Rep they move into the runners up category and their place in this ranking is taken by Czech Rep)

--12 teams contest play-off round for 3 remaining UEFA qualifying places

Either way both teams are basically assured of their place unless France, Spain or Italy fail to make top two in their group.
  • Options
    Yes Callum, it’s crazy that a game like this doesn’t mean much. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Is there any kind of seeding for the play off round that’s tied to qualifying performance? I couldn’t find anything but if so, that’s at least something to play for.

Would imagine the lowest seeded teams with the hardest play-off draw would be the ones that come through Nations League… much better to be 3rd than 11th in a 12 team round
  • Options
    Is there any kind of seeding for the play off round that’s tied to qualifying performance? I couldn’t find anything but if so, that’s at least something to play for.

Would imagine the lowest seeded teams with the hardest play-off draw would be the ones that come through Nations League… much better to be 3rd than 11th in a 12 team round
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58463435

According to this article

Even if they finish outside of the top two in Group E, Wales are all but guaranteed a play-off place thanks to their Nations League success.
    But that back-up option could see Wales drawn against tougher opposition than if they were to secure second place in their World Cup qualifying group.
  • Options
    I don’t think they have decided that yet. I’m guessing it will be in world rankings. 
  • Options
    Gunter just crossed the ball. No. For real. 
  • Options
    Gunter just crossed the ball. No. For real. 
    Across his own box?
  • Options
    Wales keeper is shocking