Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Perhaps we get penalties as opposition are trying to stop him scoring/creating goals ? 
    Sterling wins them all actually. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Perhaps we get penalties as opposition are trying to stop him scoring/creating goals ? 
    As he is about to set up Kane ...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I’d say there’s a reason Sterling has sooo much space. Kane is doubled up a lot.

I can take Southgate slander because I don’t think he’s very good at his job. Kane is World Class.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I’d say there’s a reason Sterling has sooo much space. Kane is doubled up a lot.

I can take Southgate slander because I don’t think he’s very good at his job. Kane is World Class.
    I wasn't personally aiming criticism at Kane himself. 

Saying he's disappointing doesn't mean he's not trying. Just maybe the way we play isn't best set up for his talents. I think we can get more out of him. 
  • Options
    160 goals in 234 premier league games.
    34 in 53 for England.

Of course he's world class. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cafctom said:
    Until Harry Kane starts curling them in from 30 yards, ideally with his back to goal, then consider me underwhelmed.
    Exactly - and that is every goal he scores, otherwise I am not counting them.

It is amusing the things people discount in order to support their pet theories. Matches won in extra time, matches won on penalties, goals scored from corners, penalties, free kicks, matches against teams that they consider inferior, number of goals scored against minnows...  :D   
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Harry Kane - 34 goals in 53 games and a World Cup Golden Boot.

Yes, he absolutely is our biggest disappointment....

Christ 😂
    10 of those are penalties. 
    If he'd missed his penalty v Colombia and we'd gone out 1-0 in the second round he'd have been slaughtered.
    Thanks for evoking that specific memory. Just went and rewatched the match highlights on YouTube - great drama.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    MrOneLung said:

I wasn't personally aiming criticism at Kane himself. 

Saying he's disappointing doesn't mean he's not trying. Just maybe the way we play isn't best set up for his talents. I think we can get more out of him. 
    Agreed, I think people are slightly missing the point, that he's being judged by his very high standards

It's the same thing that happens when people compare Messi in an Argentina shirt to his performances in a Barca shirt
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor and Montserrat JUST missed out on advancing in the CONCACAF Qualifiers last night

Big enough win against Grenada (only won 2-1) with a draw in the game between El Salvador v Antigua and Barbuda could have sent them through on Goal Difference - El Salvador won though, meaning that the only points they dropped was against Montserrat.

Putting Lyle Taylor to one side thats an excellent campaign for Montserrat

Scored triple the amount of goals they've ever scored in a Qualifying Campaign, whilst equalled the fewest amount they've ever conceded... Not to mention they'd never even won a World Cup Qualifier up until this year.

Canada did advance though (so they should seeing they can rely on the likes of Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David), Liam Millar did get called up for these two Qualifiers they've just had but didnt play any minutes... They've now got a Play-Off against Haiti to advance to the Final round where Mexico | United States | Costa Rica | Honduras | Jamaica will enter the competition.

Saint Kitts and Nevis v El Salvador
    Haiti v Canada
    Panama v Curacao

Are the three Play-Off games, two legs, winners from each game go through.
  • Options
    Worth noting too that Syria are once again making headways in the Asian Qualifying, they've already qualified (ahead of China) for the next round - Of course they almost reached the last World Cup only to lose in a Play-Off against Australia.

Australia and Japan have already qualified for the next stage themselves whilst the other Groups currently have Iran and Iraq | Saudi Arabia and Uzbekistan | Vietnam and UAE | South Korea and Lebanon all fighting for the top spot in each of their Groups.

Out of those; Lebanon | Uzbekistan | UAE | Iran would still go through as the best four to finish Runner Up

As things stand Oman | China | Jordan | Tajikistan would be the four Runners Up that would miss out.

One thing I always find a bit ironic... What links Welling United with the Bangladesh National Team = Jamie Day - They lost 2-0 to India the other day, yet managed a draw with Afghanistan a few days ago, although all three teams are already out of the competition.

Fact that maybe doesnt sound true... Sunil Chhetri scored both goals for India against Bangladesh taking his tally to 74-goals

Out of all the players still active, only Cristiano Ronaldo has more International Goals, uncatchable on 103-goals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The following countries have made it into the next round of Asian Qualifying.

They'll be split into two Groups of six teams, top two from each will go to the World Cup after everyone has played each other home and away... The two teams that finish third will contest a two legged Play-Off with the winners of that game then going on to an Inter-Continental Play-Off

• Options
    edited June 2021
    9 out of 12 teams the same as last time out at this stage.

IN: Oman, Vietnam, Lebanon

OUT: Uzbekistan, Thailand, Qatar (qualified as hosts)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Unsurpisingly then that Canada advanced to the Final Round of Qualifying, beat Haiti 4-0 on agg in the end.

Liam Millar must have been comfortable on that bench, hasnt played a single minute for Canada.

El Salvador and Panama the other winners, meaning the last teams still in contention from CONCACAF are as follows.

Top three teams will qualify for the World Cup, the fourth place team will go into the Inter-Contential Play-Offs

The final round has increased from six to eight teams from the 2018 Qualification.

Trinidad & Tobago are the only absentee from that year

Whilst El Salvador | Canada | Jamaica failed to make this stage last time out.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Africa's next round of Qualifying is due to commence in September - There are currently ten groups of four teams, the winners from each will advance to a final Knockout round, which'll see the five winners going to the World Cup.

Oceania's World Cup campaign is potentially due to begin in January 2022

Looks to be a harder Qualification setup for American Samoa this time round, instead of a pre-qualifying round for them, it'll be a case of two Groups (one of five teams, the other six teams) with the top two from each Group going through to a Semi-Final and then Final knockout type tournament, the winners entering the Inter-Contentinal Play-Offs.
  • Options
    Classic goalkeeping mistake from the Haiti keeper v Canada overnight. 

That's GOT to be bent, surely? I'd be taking a hard look at the betting exchanges after that. Not necessarily the first ricket, but the second is ridiculous. 
  • Options
    Unsurpisingly then that Canada advanced to the Final Round of Qualifying, beat Haiti 4-0 on agg in the end.

Liam Millar must have been comfortable on that bench, hasnt played a single minute for Canada.

El Salvador and Panama the other winners, meaning the last teams still in contention from CONCACAF are as follows.

Top three teams will qualify for the World Cup, the fourth place team will go into the Inter-Contential Play-Offs

The final round has increased from six to eight teams from the 2018 Qualification.

Canada play wing backs and have Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies tearing down the left so it's not surprising Millar doesn't get much of a look in. 

Considering Davies is one of the best wing backs in the world and is only 20, Millar needs to get himself a new position or he won't get many caps. 
  • Options
    Classic goalkeeping mistake from the Haiti keeper v Canada overnight. 

That's GOT to be bent, surely? I'd be taking a hard look at the betting exchanges after that. Not necessarily the first ricket, but the second is ridiculous. 
    Is now a good time to mention the Haiti keeper was born in..........Canada?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Canada play wing backs and have Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies tearing down the left so it's not surprising Millar doesn't get much of a look in. 

Considering Davies is one of the best wing backs in the world and is only 20, Millar needs to get himself a new position or he won't get many caps. 
    Surprised he didnt get minutes against Aruba at the very least though as they won that one 7-0

Surinam and Haiti were different as they couldnt really afford anything other than a win - Probably didnt help him either that he didnt score or get an assist when they beat Cayman Islands 11-0, kinda the game where you need to standout and if you dont...
  • Options
    Bump. UEFA qualifying resumes today. England play at Hungary tomorrow, at home to Andorra on the 5th and at Poland on the 8th.

Today's games...

Luxembourg v Azerbaijan
    Portugal v Ireland

France v Bosnia
    Kazahkstan v Ukraine

Denmark v Scotland
    Faroe Islands v Israel
    Moldova v Austria

Turkey v Montenegro
    Norway v Netherlands
    Latvia v Gibraltar

Russia v Croatia
    Slovenia v Slovakia
    Malta v Cyprus

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers Callum... Wasnt aware that England played their first of three games so soon
  • Options
    Extraordinary end to the Kazakhstan/Ukraine game.

Ukraine scored what they thought was a winner in the 93rd minute, until Kazakhstan went right up the other end and equalised in the 95th
  • Options
    We'll also have interest in Asia with United Arab Emirates v Lebanon tomorrow
  • Options
    Wales playing a friendly at the moment. 4 exes Williams, Lockyer, Matt Smith and Levitt are playing, with Gunter on the bench
  • Options
    Williams getting rave reviews in the BBC match thread - with the question being asked 'he always looks so good in a Wales shirt and with the greatest respect to Swindon whats he doing in League 2?
  • Options
    Wales playing a friendly at the moment. 4 exes Williams, Lockyer, Matt Smith and Levitt are playing, with Gunter on the bench
    Matt Smith? Assume that is the Man City one? 
  • Options
    Matt Smith? Assume that is the Man City one? 
    Yes, the super duper deadline day one!
  • Options

Yup, over-rated and neither would be anywhere near an international team if they hadn't originally been at man utd and City respectively. 
  • Options
    Scotland 2 0 down after 15 minutes. Wonder if that guy who bought a Denmark shirt for the England semi final is wearing it tonight.