Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer progress at Birmingham

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer was good for a couple of years, but then the weight of all the off field issues seemed to knock the stuffing out of him 
    Relegation seemed to zap all of his confidence. I loved him up to that point and rated him as a manger. He was a different person the next year back in league 1 and I'm not sure if he got his mojo back at Birmingham. A year out of the game might have done him good.

if he does get back into management, I hope he does well. He gave us that day out at Wembley and a shot at the championship with all odds stacked against him.
    Would agree with this.. But still believe he would have turned it around.. But I do think he had been beaten up!
  • Options
    He's good at coming in and firing up a metaphorical rocket. Sometimes players really do just need that drill sergeant type to come in and give them a collective hiding.

The problem is that when that doesn't work, or stops working, he's not got a plan B. He just doubled down and eventually players get/got sick of it.
  • Options
    Bowyer reminds me a bit of Di Canio and Stuart Pearce as a manager. He can really get a team motivated in the short/even medium term. He can get them playing for the badge and he has some really good ideas. But I feel like he won’t ever have the longevity in a role that a Pep or a Klopp would have. 

Still our best manager since Powell and second best since Curbs though.
  • Options
    Bowyer was good for a couple of years, but then the weight of all the off field issues seemed to knock the stuffing out of him 
    Relegation seemed to zap all of his confidence. I loved him up to that point and rated him as a manger. He was a different person the next year back in league 1 and I'm not sure if he got his mojo back at Birmingham. A year out of the game might have done him good.

if he does get back into management, I hope he does well. He gave us that day out at Wembley and a shot at the championship with all odds stacked against him.
    I’d argue that injury crisis he had to manage sapped his confidence. We and him never looked the same after that. 

To me it felt like something changed tactically with his teams afterwards, and there was a drop off in energy and performance levels. 
  • Options

I’d argue that injury crisis he had to manage sapped his confidence. We and him never looked the same after that. 

To me it felt like something changed tactically with his teams afterwards, and there was a drop off in energy and performance levels. 
    Not to mention dealing daily with the legend that is Duchatalet
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Not to mention dealing daily with the legend that is Duchatalet
    Roland wasn't an issue as he let Bowyer get on with it.

It all went wrong for him after the ESI takeover, then the ownership farce that followed.
  • Options
    If we’re looking at next managers for Leeds then Karl Robinson is probably ahead of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And lets not forget he offloaded Chuks to us. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Bowyer is what he is as a manager. The good sides are that he maintains certain standards that he expects the players to maintain and he is pragmatic in terms of the teams ability meaning he will pick the best style to match the players instead of trying to make the players play in a more advanced style they will never be good enough for. His negatives were basically the reverse his standards were demanding and if someone was less outgoing it was quite clear they could be intimidated and their performances dissapate also in his pragmatism we could lose imagination. For us he was quite lucky that he actually had a very good starting 11 his first year and them was unlucky with injuries and covid disruption.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think he deserves a shot at a club with a decent budget 
    Probably true to be fair, but you'd think he could get at least a decent L1/Champ team to work with rather than Leeds. 

I think he's also got a bit of a reputation as a manager who comes in in tough situations to rally the troops, not someone to build a team with a decent budget just because of the situations he's always been in in his managerial career. Bit unfair probably as he's never had the chance to build a team how he wants with some budget to play with
  • Options

Getting us into the play offs the season before was a brilliant achievement too - we were going nowhere when Robinson left and Bowyer really turned that squad around.
  • Options
    If we’re looking at next managers for Leeds then Karl Robinson is probably ahead of him.
    Is he? Robinson has only managed once at Championship level, back in 2015/16 and got relegated. Worse, he finished one place behind us and we were terrible. He's generally found himself at L1 level being just about unable to get out of the division. He was sacked by MK after they were relegated and then he failed to get Charlton promoted. In fact, after Robinson left, the improvement that came with Bowyer saw us sneak into the Play-Offs, and then Bowyer took us up the next season when he had a full run at it. After that Robinson did ok at Oxford but when his budget increased he didn't make as much progress as he should have, fell short in the play-offs and then took Oxford down towards the drop zone before being sacked. He came in as Allardyce's assistant and they got 1 point from 4 games as Leeds went down. Bowyer conversely has a more recent promotion on his CV and more recent Championship experience as well as being a Leeds legend.
  • Options
    Leeds saw something enough to appoint him assistant manager recently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HandG said:
    Yep, they saw that Sammy Lee was on jury service so looked for a cheap available option….
    Or probably worried he'd not be able to climb out of the dug-out with his little legs.
  • Options
    He’s worked with Allardyce before, he even got him to come in and do a session with our defence when he was our manager 
  • Options
    Interview podcast with Rich Cawley…

says Roland was upset when he got us promoted because it meant paying more in wages

said he still preferred Roland to Sandgaard because Roland didn’t care about the football while Sandgaard had people questioning everything

https://x.com/richcawleyslp/status/1765281324594606222?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g
    The final paragraph is a worry.   I have always thought it was a land project for the Belgian.

He'll have us out of The Valley one day.
  • Options

says Roland was upset when he got us promoted because it meant paying more in wages

said he still preferred Roland to Sandgaard because Roland didn’t care about the football while Sandgaard had people questioning everything

https://x.com/richcawleyslp/status/1765281324594606222?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g
    The final paragraph is a worry.   I have always thought it was a land project for the Belgian.

But RD did care when he took over - he got involved in transfers, team selection, chose managers etc.

By the time Bowyer was manager he was trying to sell the club and gave Bowyer and Gallen a lot more freedom compared to managers in the first few years of his ownership.
  • Options

Can you explain why he hasn't already? He must have agreed to lease it and could have said "no, go play someplace else. I've got other plans for it" if not when ESI bought the Club, then when TS or the current lot did.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

But RD did care when he took over - he got involved in transfers, team selection, chose managers etc.

By the time Bowyer was manager he was trying to sell the club and gave Bowyer and Gallen a lot more freedom compared to managers in the first few years of his ownership.
    Once we got relegated from the Championship, he seemed to lose all active interest in running football clubs. No more network managers or players, and he seems to have been pretty hands off for a couple of years under Slade and Robinson  before Bowyer took over.
  • Options

What final paragraph?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Once we got relegated from the Championship, he seemed to lose all active interest in running football clubs. No more network managers or players, and he seems to have been pretty hands off for a couple of years under Slade and Robinson  before Bowyer took over.
    Agree, which is what I meant by comparing to his first few years of ownership.
  • Options
    Any quotes would be warmly welcome but not sure I can listen to Bowyer for a whole hour.