Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wrestling thread

Comments

• Options
    Rhea Ripley down under ticks the star power imo. Interestingly she'll be working face.

I can't see Rollins and Cody flying all that way for an interview with some bloodline shenanigans, probably featuring The Rock.
  • Options
    Having a challenge offered on TV is fine, 'tune in next week to see if it's accepted', but to not have it accepted on PPV is utter shit.

Meanwhile over The Pacific.

Nemeth beat Dave Finlay for the Global Title. Finlay won the title in a 3 way against Osprey and Moxley at Wrestle Kingdom.

Riddle beat Tanahashi for the TV Title. Tanahashi beat Zack Saber Jr at Wrestle Kingdom for it.

Pretty sure neither title was defended after Wrestle Kingdom. 
  • Options
    Tiffany Stratton is absolutely stunning.   
  • Options
    Virgil dead at 61
  • Options
    edited March 11
    Caught up on a few missed weeks of AEW.

One thing that stood out - Wardlow surprised me with how strong his mic work has progressed.

Few other observations:

- The Acclaimed/Bullet Club Gold team up is absolute cringe.
    - I don’t really get the whole Toni Storm gimmick, also quite cringey to watch.
    - Sting’s final match was fun. An impressive 3 year return capped off with a feel good moment.
    - Darby Allin. He needs a big singles push now. Has also come along really well on the mic. 
    - Swerve Strickland needs to get away from that awful manager with the idiotic dancing. 
  • Options
    I didn't watch the last AEW PPV but heard they ran over so the PPV cut off during Sting's retirement speech. They had one job to do.

Bang bang scissor gang is awful and Max Caster has messed up his rap twice now, the thing that got them over.

I love the Toni Storm gimmick and Prince Nana is decent.
  • Options
    Impressed with how WWE have made the Cody Roman Rock debacle make sense and have it linked it to Seth and Drew, who has kept C M Punk involved. It's such a well oiled machine.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

One thing that stood out - Wardlow surprised me with how strong his mic work has progressed.

Few other observations:

- The Acclaimed/Bullet Club Gold team up is absolute cringe.
    - I don’t really get the whole Toni Storm gimmick, also quite cringey to watch.
    - Sting’s final match was fun. An impressive 3 year return capped off with a feel good moment.
    - Darby Allin. He needs a big singles push now. Has also come along really well on the mic. 
    - Swerve Strickland needs to get away from that awful manager with the idiotic dancing. 
    True about Wardlow. Have always been a fan. Huge victim of AEW having too many people they want to push - he was huge at the end of the MJF storyline and went nowhere. 

Don’t think Darby will be getting a push too soon unfortunately as he’s off to climb Everest in a couple of weeks…

!Friend Or Defoe said:
    I didn't watch the last AEW PPV but heard they ran over so the PPV cut off during Sting's retirement speech. They had one job to do.

Bang bang scissor gang is awful and Max Caster has messed up his rap twice now, the thing that got them over.

I love the Toni Storm gimmick and Prince Nana is decent.

Didn’t he mess up his rap once and then they’ve made it into a storyline (eg the second time was deliberate)? Seemed that way to me given the rest of his gang teasing him on promos about it and it seemed very staged the second time for him to flub his lines. 

These two posts seem to prove the saying that “creative is subjective” (which I agree with in most cases but can call out rubbish storylines when they don’t actually make sense)

I’m not mad keen on the Toni Storm character anymore, but nout wrong with Prince Nana’s dancing 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 11
    It's an awful angle if it is an angle. Take away the rap and they have nothing special left IMO, the scissor gimmick is pretty stale. The team was super over when they won the tag belts, largely due to the rap which was often a show highlight.

Nana's dance is superb and although Swerve has gotten over due to his ability the dance hasn't hurt.
  • Options
    A lot of it will come down to personal preference, but I just don’t think comedy gimmicks should be anywhere near the main event picture. Especially when it involves someone who is meant to be a ruthless up and coming heel. 

That and the Toni Storm gimmick feel a bit too “mid 90s WWF” for me. Same for The Acclaimed. 

A world title match of Joe / Hangman / Swerve felt quite bland in the build. But then again we were spoiled for a long time with the likes of MJF and CM Punk doing some of their best work around the main event picture in recent years. AEW has dropped off since losing them both.
  • Options
    I might eventually get bored of Toni Storm but I'm enjoying it at the moment, especially the half black and white half colour screens. Could have some decent TV if a big star from Boston were to join.

With The Acclaimed the rap would involve current events so didn't get stale, seems they're now going to mess that up.  :/
  • Options
    Ospreay, Okada and now Mone. 

AEW is stacked. 
  • Options

AEW is stacked. 
    The deck maybe stacked, but I'm not sure Tony Khan knows how to play cards. 

Seems the current theme is to chuck a load of dream matches together and little else
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

AEW is stacked. 

Seems the current theme is to chuck a load of dream matches together and little else
    Exactly, they're getting 3k crowds for Dynamite now a show which is having matches like Edge V Christian in an I quit match. Completely unsustainable for Okada's wages. Only real long-term story seems to be the Ruby Soho and Saraya Knight.

What's it stacked compared to, TNA? Certainly not WWE. 

Talking of dreams, having Mone say she has unfinished business in WWE seems to be a nightmare.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/mercedes-mone-unfinished-wwe-business/
  • Options
    I see Matt Hardy's contract is up in April.

I can't see him staying in AEW given how they've been used the past year or so, but WWE don't need him at the moment, can see him and Jeff winding up in TNA soon
  • Options
    Matt's biggest success and best work IMO was in TNA, certainly as a single. Sadly I've given up with Jeff. Ignoring the extra curriculum, Jeff's prime was no where near the level of an Osprey or Ricochet etc. and at his age the high flying can't be what once was. Rey is understandably no where near the level he was 25 years ago.
  • Options
    edited March 16
    sam3110 said:

AEW is stacked. 

While on the other show you've got the 'final boss' getting himself over to the detriment of everyone else and wants cheers too much to play a heel :)

Then in a month he'll disappear and leave a bunch of nobodies behind in his wake. Passing the torch indeed. 
  • Options
    A Kent Cricket tweet was on Smackdown! 😃
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best episode of Raw in years. All the main segment delivered to hype up the title matches at Mania.

Shaping up to be one of the best mania cards since the early 2000s
  • Options
    Yep. Best episode of Raw in a very long time 
  • Options
    I only saw the start before work, I'm finding Cody and his promos incredibly boring compared to the Drew stuff. Looking forward to the Punk stuff and reading in between the lines above there's probably some further Bloodline stuff as the opening segment didn't deliver anything.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

AEW is stacked. 

While on the other show you've got the 'final boss' getting himself over to the detriment of everyone else and wants cheers too much to play a heel :)

Then in a month he'll disappear and leave a bunch of nobodies behind in his wake. Passing the torch indeed. 
    This aged like milk. 
  • Options

AEW is stacked. 
    Give this one a year. 😃
  • Options
    That final segment felt like something out of the Attitude era (in a good way). The ending that makes you impatient to see what happens next.

WWE television hasn’t been this good for years. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

AEW is stacked. 

This aged like milk. 

Can't wait for the Rock v Cody Rhodes singles match. 

Roman who? 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

AEW is stacked. 

This aged like milk. 

Can't wait for the Rock v Cody Rhodes singles match. 

Roman who? 
    Plenty of money matches for WWE in upcoming months;

Rock/Rhodes, Punk/Rollins/  Punk/Reigns, Rollins/Punk/Drew & Drew/Punk. 

Everyone of them could headline any PPV in 2024.
  • Options
    edited March 28
    Anyone else finding Rock to be very repetitive in his promos? He's still amazing on the mic but it feels like he's trying to fill a 10 minute slot with 8 minutes of material so he's just repeating himself a lot. 

Also, just read that Rock is 2 years older now than Hogan was in their icon v icon match. Mind. Blown.