Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    While I was really pleased we picked up three points last night, that was the first time I haven’t been jumping around the living room (or punching the air at least) when we’ve scored, since the latest lockdown. Having been supportive of Bowyer until around the time of the Gillingham, Burton and Blackpool matches some of the joy has gone for me, perhaps because the heightened importance of football in these strange times has led to an increased desire for success. 
    I’m hoping that’s a temporary situation, but having come to the reluctant conclusion that Lee is the wrong man for the job it’s going to take a substantial turnaround to get my belief back I fear. Will one or two wins merely delay the inevitable slide down the table, or can we genuinely now progress with the current management in place? 
    Obviously my main hope is that we win matches and progress towards the playoffs, but we all want what’s best for the long term future of the club, and it’s going to take something special to restore my belief that we’re on the right path. The memories of the playoff final, are really the only thing that has been keeping any remaining hope alive. 
    I’m sorry to sound so negative. Perhaps a win at Oxford, and a turnaround of our awful home form will do the trick, who knows. I certainly want a return to the joy I normally feel when the final whistle means three points. 

• Options
    They were shit. Expect normal service to resume at the weekend.
  • Options
    Good goal from Chuks, we deserved to win, Wigan were pretty awful. A big positive having JFC back, he's busy and the closest we have to a midfielder in Bowyer's mould. Playing him means Watson can do what he does well and I thought he also had a good game. As did Pearce, definitely suited him and he did well.  It'll be nice to give some 7s or higher on the player marks thread :)

• Options
    Cautious optimism after getting the win. Imagine the outcry if we had not taken the three points against a very poor Wigan side.
      Can only hope it has boosted the players' confidence to the point where we can get something against Oxford. 
     Great performances from Chuks, Pearce and Washington. Now we must continue onwards and upwards.
     Will be very surprised if we make the play-offs but now at the point where I am looking forward to the summer rebuilding.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Red7Oak said:
    Amos: 7
    Matthews: 6
    Famewo: 7
    Pearce: 6
    Maatsen: 5
    Watson: 5
    Forster-Caskey: 8
    Smith: 6
    Millar: 6
    Aneke: 6.5
    Washington: 5
    Referee: 5
     Come on now, admit you didn't watch the game.
    Of course it’s personal opinion with the ratings. Shame that someone comes in with ratings like that though, when so much work goes in to the statbank every season. 7 players on 6 or less when we’ve won. Odd. 
  • Options
    Quite unusual but fascinating when Brownie is in the commentary box, as it feels like you're sitting next a coach in the stand and he's explaining to you exactly what's going on out there.

So much more detail that a co-commentator normally provides, and I'm talking about the ones on TV and Radio not Greg and Terry.
    Agreed. I think we could do a lot worse than appointing Brownie as defensive coach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    Quite unusual but fascinating when Brownie is in the commentary box, as it feels like you're sitting next a coach in the stand and he's explaining to you exactly what's going on out there.

So much more detail that a co-commentator normally provides, and I'm talking about the ones on TV and Radio not Greg and Terry.
    Agreed. I think we could do a lot worse than appointing Brownie as defensive coach.
    I said the same thing to my son last night.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

He knows his stuff, no doubt - probably needs to see the glass half full a bit more though!!
  • Options
    There was effort, players putting their head in where it hurts for 50/50s, Matthews looked quick tracking runners, closing down in packs, no gaping holes in front of the defence, only maybe once or twice Wigan had opportunity for a free shot, Amos stretching to catch crosses and looking dominant again, and, the huddle was back before kick off.

This bullshit of changing in a suite at home and coming down the west stand in ones or twos whilst the oppo uses our changing rooms and tunnel has to stop. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Same, bowyer should have a listen to last nights commentary, and consider putting brownie in the stand with communication to our bench? 
  • Options

This bullshit of changing in a suite at home and coming down the west stand in ones or twos whilst the oppo uses our changing rooms and tunnel has to stop. 
    Read the thread , Ollywozere gives a plausible reasoning for it ...I can’t remember exactly but it makes sense , we do have the better of it 
  • Options
    said it on the match thread last night, Brownie was class and was great listening to him - literally can't be a single downside to just getting him in to do a few sessions with the team and the coaches, even just a different opinion and take on things would freshen it all up
  • Options

Read the thread , Ollywozere gives a plausible reasoning for it ...I can’t remember exactly but it makes sense , we do have the better of it 
    Cheers, haven't read that tbh. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    While I was really pleased we picked up three points last night, that was the first time I haven’t been jumping around the living room (or punching the air at least) when we’ve scored, since the latest lockdown. Having been supportive of Bowyer until around the time of the Gillingham, Burton and Blackpool matches some of the joy has gone for me, perhaps because the heightened importance of football in these strange times has led to an increased desire for success. 
    I’m hoping that’s a temporary situation, but having come to the reluctant conclusion that Lee is the wrong man for the job it’s going to take a substantial turnaround to get my belief back I fear. Will one or two wins merely delay the inevitable slide down the table, or can we genuinely now progress with the current management in place? 
    Obviously my main hope is that we win matches and progress towards the playoffs, but we all want what’s best for the long term future of the club, and it’s going to take something special to restore my belief that we’re on the right path. The memories of the playoff final, are really the only thing that has been keeping any remaining hope alive. 
    I’m sorry to sound so negative. Perhaps a win at Oxford, and a turnaround of our awful home form will do the trick, who knows. I certainly want a return to the joy I normally feel when the final whistle means three points. 

Even a run of say three wins or at least good performances would do wonders for the mood of fans and staff alike.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ollywozere said:
    Addicktion said:
    I think they addressed this on Charlton Live a few weeks back, half of our players use the home dressing room and the other half use the executive loungues. The away team have half in the away dressing room and half in the media centre. Due to covid protocols they can't get the full team in the dressing rooms for team talks so that's why bowyers opted for us to use the exec lounge cause everyone can sit in there for the pre match team talk. I might be wrong so feel free to correct me. 
    Neither dressing rooms are used pre-match, only post-match for players to use showers in shifts.
    We use the Millennium Lounge which is large enough for all players and staff to change and provides additional room for pre-match meetings etc...
    The visiting team changes in the press room which is much smaller than the Millennium lounge.
    This is the same sort of thing that is happening at pretty much every other ground. Earlier in the season, there were one or two clubs who squeezed us into the usual dressing rooms which were far too small and went against the COVID protocols that all clubs should be following. Since the regular EFL testing returned a couple of months back, there has been a bit of a clampdown so other clubs are now falling in line as they should have been.

The only inconvenience really is having to walk down the stairs, but it’s a better option than the press room where, in any case, you’d have to walk through some corridors, through the coach park and down stairs in the tunnel to pitchside anyway.

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Same, bowyer should have a listen to last nights commentary, and consider putting brownie in the stand with communication to our bench? 
    He did quite well @ Ebbsfleet, was saying the other day he got sacked after they finished third yet had over a 50% win rate
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Rob Lee back for Saturday on VP
    Ahhh he's not is he? Get Brown or Nelson in as regulars. Rob Lee there was crap !
    Probs only on cos his sons playing
    How comes Leaburn ain't been on yet?
    He did a game (or two?) a few weeks ago - Scotty and Curbs were missing for Covid reasons so Sky's Mark McAdam hosted (and was very good) and Carlo was with him pitchside.

Or if you were talking about Tracey she's had the odd half-time chat and gets regular mentions by Scotty.
  • Options
    Thought last night was a win well deserved, and there was a marked change in performance from the recent games, sure Wigan are bottom, but they are fighting for their lives and status with relegation a real possibility, We had a good start and controlled a lot of the play, with players tracking back and working hard because, particularly in the second half, we were put on the back foot by Wigan having to get back into the game.
    Shame Lee was his usual dour self in the aftermatch interview, with Scott trying to stir some sort of reaction and positivity into the conversation to no effect, sure an extra goal or two would be the icing on the cake, but we won Lee ok, give us a smile :)
    Also as has been noted, what a revelation Brownie was in the commentary team, and a very knowledgeable and interesting input into the game, he should be signed up full time.
    On we go to Saturday and lets just take this positive into that game
  • Options
    When you are in poor form, a win last night is what you need and what you will take. The goal was the sort of goal we would concede. Wigan looked toothless so despite defending the second half, you couldn't see them scoring.

Oxford is going to be harder but I think Curbs made a good point when suggested a possible reason why our away form is so much better than our home. Away you keep it tight and don't look for things to happen so much. I believe that is the way opponents are playing us at the Valley.

Anyway, not inspiring but gratefully received. Pearce had a good game as did JFC. Aneke worried them and hope his injury isn't serious. Not expecting to see him for a few games seeing as what type it is.