Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    A good 3 points. Not necessarily a good win in terms of performance (although better), but given recent displays and results that's totally irrelevant. 

Yes Wigan are even worse than us and although not great gave us a scare once or twice but come on, we all know that's the sort of game we'd usually lose! 

A return to the 433, don't think it's any coincidence that we had a better go of it playing the formation that Bowyer planned for this season but quickly abandoned once Doughty was out. Washington grafting on one side with Millar/ DJ as the flair winger on the other side I like, get the right balance with the midfield 3 and it's probably our best formation. Hope we persist with it. Aneke's injury woes will see Stockley and Schwartz get enough game time as the "main" striker in the front 3.
    I never understood why we didn't try Maddison out in a 433 formation in the "Millar" role, with 3 midfielders behind him 
  • Options
    Huge win, hopefully it's not too late, either way I would say it puts the relegation scare to bed and the Bowyer has lost the dressing room rumours. That was not the performance of a team who have given up. Who was it at the end screaming 'yes come on'? Loved that. The one thing that is very clear about this team and different from previous seasons is our morale, if it's nil nil or we are leading we play fine, go a goal down and our heads drops on most occasions. 

Smith was good imo, forget him being lightweight, nice to see a midfielder with pace that doesn't panic pass. I would like to see that be our core midfield now, maybe even play a diamond with Albie, Smith at the tip and Watson at the bottom. I feel both could work well, so could a 532 as mentioned. Hopefully it means no more Pratley for the rest of the season.

I am not gonna get excited yet, Oxford will be a real test, after that they're all 'easy' games on paper. In a bizarre world where we stop being crap consistently we actually aren't in the worst position to get the points needed. 

Our last 9 games are Crewe, Doncaster, Lincoln, Sunderland, Ipswich, Plymouth, Peterborough, Accrington, Hull. All teams around us or above, all huge games if we can get through these next fixtures with a decent points haul and some belief. Again I'm not delusional and understand it's unlikely but our fixtures are ideal for a turnaround 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I would also be happy for Thomas to do whatever it takes to get Famewo. Norwich are going up as per, he doesn't get in their side, at most they'll loan him to a championship side. I would love if they were willing to part ways with him. That's one player along with Aneke, JFC & Stockley where I think yeah they're promotion material 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Davo55 said:
    Quite unusual but fascinating when Brownie is in the commentary box, as it feels like you're sitting next a coach in the stand and he's explaining to you exactly what's going on out there.

So much more detail that a co-commentator normally provides, and I'm talking about the ones on TV and Radio not Greg and Terry.
    Agreed. I think we could do a lot worse than appointing Brownie as defensive coach.
    I said the same thing to my son last night.
    Me too ! 
    You said the same thing to @southamptonaddick 's son too Fanny ?
    Indeed, MOG. 

Surely you're aware that I have all Lifers on speed dial ! 

It's called " Having Fanny's finger on the pulse" ....
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I don't hate Purrington and think he'd potentially work on the left of a back three (or the CENTRE of a back three, which I'm amazed we haven't tried since the fourth game of the season, when it worked well for 20 minutes). That said we'd then probably be playing a left-footer on the right of a back three if Pearce stays in. Famewo would probably have to do that. He probably could. This would free up Maatsen as a wing-back and allow Matthews to do likewise, AND allow a CM three, which suited Watson. The more I think about it the more I like it. It did look good against Burton (until it didn't).
    I was listening to Neil Warnock earlier in the season (lockdown makes you do funny things) and he has reluctantly gone to 352, or had done, because it was the only way he could get 3 central midfielders AND two center forwards on the pitch.  He also pointed out there are no box-2-box midfielders any more, which is why everyone tries to play with 3.

• Options
    Just seen Shinnie post on IG that he's got a day off with the boy (his dog) so perhaps Bowyer's changed tack after last nights win and decided to give the players a day off after the game, like he did after Saturday's game. Considering we're on 2 games a week for most of the rest of the season this is probably a good thing and hopefully help stop players getting burnt out/injured.

Would be interested if this was based on Bowyer's own analysis of the players performance yesterday, or based on feedback from the team on how they felt following Sunday's rest day.
  • Options
    Just seen Shinnie post on IG that he's got a day off with the boy (his dog) so perhaps Bowyer's changed tack after last nights win and decided to give the players a day off after the game, like he did after Saturday's game. Considering we're on 2 games a week for most of the rest of the season this is probably a good thing and hopefully help stop players getting burnt out/injured.

Would be interested if this was based on Bowyer's own analysis of the players performance yesterday, or based on feedback from the team on how they felt following Sunday's rest day.
    I thought Wednesday was nearly always a rest day for the players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think it is possible Bowyer has tried everything which unfortunately has been too much. Now, based on his own post match comments he might have figured out to dial it down a bit. If he has been moving down a list of options and got to this one, it is a shame it was so far down his list.

Give the players a bit of space. Micro manage less and simplify things a bit. One swallow doesn't make a summer and a defeat on Saturday may get a bad reaction but if he has realised we can't keep on like this thank heavens.

A win against the only team less confident than us is just that. We need to see how this develops before getting too carried away.
  • Options
    Steve Brown was very good in commentary. Would be a very good addition to the coaching team.
  • Options

What bugs me is the lack of ability of players in their crossing and shooting. Free kicks and crosses sailed over the box on a number of occasions. As for shooting skills, as Brown said, it should be simple for professionals: head down, chest leaning over the ball and thump it as hard as possible. Sadly all lacking in Charlton (and with relief Wigan) players last night.
    The amount of shots that have sailed over the top this season is really bad. Surely they practice this in training. Would like to see some worldies of our own at some point!
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

What bugs me is the lack of ability of players in their crossing and shooting. Free kicks and crosses sailed over the box on a number of occasions. As for shooting skills, as Brown said, it should be simple for professionals: head down, chest leaning over the ball and thump it as hard as possible. Sadly all lacking in Charlton (and with relief Wigan) players last night.
    The amount of shots that have sailed over the top this season is really bad. Surely they practice this in training. Would like to see some worldies of our own at some point!
    Maybe they have and that's why AMB is out with concussion again :)
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

There is an individual famous for his long shooting but he's on loan at Bolton...
  • Options
    I'm not going to start singing "oh happy day" until we win at the weekend.
  • Options

I think it is possible Bowyer has tried everything which unfortunately has been too much. Now, based on his own post match comments he might have figured out to dial it down a bit. If he has been moving down a list of options and got to this one, it is a shame it was so far down his list.

Give the players a bit of space. Micro manage less and simplify things a bit. One swallow doesn't make a summer and a defeat on Saturday may get a bad reaction but if he has realised we can't keep on like this thank heavens.

A win against the only team less confident than us is just that. We need to see how this develops before getting too carried away.
    If they play Tuesday they have Wednesday off.
  • Options
    I'd like us to string an undefeated run of 3 games together then we can give it the 'Bertie big bollocks'. Until that happens Bowyer can 'bring his faakin dinner' because he'll need it.

The sooner John Sitton gets a coaching job at Charlton the better.

https://youtu.be/0wZ8s5Eeo4Y

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    Quite unusual but fascinating when Brownie is in the commentary box, as it feels like you're sitting next a coach in the stand and he's explaining to you exactly what's going on out there.

So much more detail that a co-commentator normally provides, and I'm talking about the ones on TV and Radio not Greg and Terry.
    Agreed. I think we could do a lot worse than appointing Brownie as defensive coach.
    Me too ! 
    I didn't know you new my son.  ;)
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Me too ! 
    You said the same thing to @southamptonaddick 's son too Fanny ?
    Indeed, MOG. 

Surely you're aware that I have all Lifers on speed dial ! 

It's called " Having Fanny's finger on the pulse" ....
    I suppose it's better than saying having your finger on Fanny's pulse.  :#
  • Options
    Definitely feel that Saturday will be the real test. It’s good that we’ve finally beaten a “low” team (and form table could suggest that we actually played Burton and Blackpool at the wrong time) but we all felt like they’d score from their corner in the 6th minute of the five minutes added time. There is still a frailty there and second half definitely had shades of prior performances; but the good news of course is that for once we held on.

All that said, I do think if we’d gotten the pen, we’d probably have gotten at least another one in the second half. So hard to say really! Hence, let’s see what happens on Saturday.
  • Options
    said it on the match thread last night, Brownie was class and was great listening to him - literally can't be a single downside to just getting him in to do a few sessions with the team and the coaches, even just a different opinion and take on things would freshen it all up
    Said this a few times recently, a bit like gobbo bringing in bowyer to pass on his knowledge/experience to our midfielders. While some may say that Brownie failed as a manager in non league there's a world of difference between managing a club & just coming in to pass on his experience from being a premiership defender.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I'm not going to start singing "oh happy day" until we win at the weekend.
    And then some.  Personally, I need to see a string of 3 or 4 wins before I think we’ve turned the corner.  The form since October has been terrible.  Pleased with what I read about how we acquired ourselves from a work perspective last night, but it’s going to take so much more for me to belief we can finish the season strongly 

It was the same after Bristol Rvrs, MK Dons and Rochdale.  Good wins, but immediately undone by poor performances.  Let’s push on and put a run together so we end the season strongly.  I just hope that if we do finish strongly it gives TS the confidence to let Bowyer clear out the squad and start again in the summer.  We can’t keep the majority of this squad and compete next year.  
    Pretty much where I’m at, I said I wasn’t gonna watch another stream until we’d won 3 on the spin and then I relented and was rewarded with total garbage so I have to stick it out this time however long that may take...
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    If we can hook LB up to Curbishley and Brown's punditry before during and after the game, we could be onto something - good that we cut out the catastrophic errors although Matthews had a lucky escape when he missed that clearance. Watson plays with his brain which is a vast improvement on Pratley's robbie savage impersonation but still needs replacing - hopefully the wheels are already in motion there although not likely this season although not impossible. Hats off to JFC - a player transformed. Chucks must start every game when fit and certainly every other game - why on earth he was on the bench for the last 2, only LB knows.   
    The “when fit” part is probably why 
  • Options
    Bit late to the party, did we win?
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    DOUCHER said:
    If we can hook LB up to Curbishley and Brown's punditry before during and after the game, we could be onto something - good that we cut out the catastrophic errors although Matthews had a lucky escape when he missed that clearance. Watson plays with his brain which is a vast improvement on Pratley's robbie savage impersonation but still needs replacing - hopefully the wheels are already in motion there although not likely this season although not impossible. Hats off to JFC - a player transformed. Chucks must start every game when fit and certainly every other game - why on earth he was on the bench for the last 2, only LB knows.   
    The “when fit” part is probably why 
    if that's the case, he should have said - you don't leave your best striker sitting on the bench 2 games running without saying why - i don't think he was injured
  • Options
    Bowyer thread closed permanently then?