Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    ColinTat said:
    I can't say I enjoyed much of that.  Washington's running from first to last was immense.  He took up good positions in the box as well but the low cross/pull back didn't come in or it was a little too tight.  For the first time in weeks a lot of performances were par.

The attitude was right from first to last, we just can't press as a midfield unit.  Wanted Smith to snap into the Wigan players sometimes, he could have won the ball if he did.  But then I thought and could see him thinking if I don't win the ball they're past me and onto Watson or two passes from a shot.  He was the only out right midfielder who looked like he could press, but couldn't do it on his own.

Can't see how anyone wouldn't play Pearce in this league.  His communication was top class, his agitation when moving out to the channels when Matthews was up field and caught out was crucial - it might look ugly but he's almost damned with his lack of pace.  His heading and clearances were always effective.  I'm OK with Oshilaja, I see the defensive problems starting more in midfield, but his lack of height limits the yards he gets on headed clearances.

I just can't see enough defensive energy in that midfield.  They're all capable players, they're all willing.  None of them have that snap  in turnover or secondary ball.  If we had one more player like Washington played today, but in central midfield we might make a team.
    Lapslie would have been excellent in that midfield.
    Morgan would have been an improvement over Smith, as he has more energy

Smith has good control, but he wasn't really affecting the game with forward passes or running. And blatantly pulled out of a 50/50, which seems to be a cardinal sin under Bowyer...
  • Options
    @KBslittlesis I hope Brownie apologised for not doing the radio commentary properly? When he went off on one of his excellent rambles (like in the build-up to our goal) I kept thinking of you and how you'd have no idea what was happening!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Looking at LB's post match comments, I now think he was actually referring to TS and his publically announced aggressive promotion target as being the 'Real problem' last week that he was not going to say. 

If that's how he feels, then fair play and it has shown in weird lineups, formations and subs. He's been outside his comfort zone. But perhaps going back to basics could help all realise that they and we are not world beaters.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @KBslittlesis I hope Brownie apologised for not doing the radio commentary properly? When he went off on one of his excellent rambles (like in the build-up to our goal) I kept thinking of you and how you'd have no idea what was happening!
    Brownie was great. Love seeing all these fondly remembered old players and managers back around the place - says as clearly as anything that the club is being run with the fans in mind once again and that we will get there eventually even if we are going through a tough patch on the pitch right now. 
  • Options
    Ok, I know nothing but it has always seemed like too much training on a Sunday.
    All work no play, keeps the stress in play.
  • Options
    Any win is welcome after the horror run that we are on at present so even though Wigan are bottom of the table and doomed we take the three points.

Football is a very, very simple game despite all the noise and fury that surrounds it, you win games by scoring one more goal than the opposition - that's all you need to do.

That being the case you make your job a lot easier when you are not shipping two or three - or even four - goals in a game as we have done in twelve of our last nineteen games.

Guess what happened in the games where we conceded less than two goals? We won four, drew two and lost one - not really rocket science, is it?

If we get the defence right and back to where it was in October then we still have a chance of the Play Offs because in Aneke, Stockley, Millar and Schwartz we have enough talent in attack to score goals to win games.

Bowyer has clearly not got it right these last couple of months but there is still time to turn things around - there is still more than a quarter of the season left - so despite it all there is still everything to play for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bods64 said:
    Amos was really troubled
    Really, or rarely? Gotta be rarely?
    Same as their keeper really. 
  • Options
    All round top post. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Rob Lee back for Saturday on VP
    Ahhh he's not is he? Get Brown or Nelson in as regulars. Rob Lee there was crap !
    Probs only on cos his sons playing
    How comes Leaburn ain't been on yet?
  • Options
    Lovie Brownie in comms, better than any tosh on BT or sky, not really happy about Rob Lee being up, last time didn't seem to interested in the club, and despite playing over 300 games for us, and giving him his start, hardly get a mention in his career 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bods64 said:
    Result and clean sheet way more important than the performance in my opinion. Something to build on hopefully. Pearce had his best game for us this season and Watson helped plug the gaps in cm. Probably should have scored more 1st half goals which perhaps would have made the 2nd half more palatable. Although Wigan threatened more in 2nd half I don't believe Ben 
    Amos was really troubled.
    Yeah sorry JS but my original message had become truncated for some reason. See page 5!
    Really, or rarely? Gotta be rarely?
    Same as their keeper really. 

• Options
    Positives:
    Stopped the rot
    Clean sheet
    JFC back
    Another goal for Aneke
    Players actually seemed to care and put a shift in

Negatives:
    Wigan are dire and a better side would probably have beaten us

A measure of whether we have truly turned a corner will come at Oxford on Saturday. 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    I can't say I enjoyed much of that.  Washington's running from first to last was immense.  He took up good positions in the box as well but the low cross/pull back didn't come in or it was a little too tight.  For the first time in weeks a lot of performances were par.

The attitude was right from first to last, we just can't press as a midfield unit.  Wanted Smith to snap into the Wigan players sometimes, he could have won the ball if he did.  But then I thought and could see him thinking if I don't win the ball they're past me and onto Watson or two passes from a shot.  He was the only out right midfielder who looked like he could press, but couldn't do it on his own.

Can't see how anyone wouldn't play Pearce in this league.  His communication was top class, his agitation when moving out to the channels when Matthews was up field and caught out was crucial - it might look ugly but he's almost damned with his lack of pace.  His heading and clearances were always effective.  I'm OK with Oshilaja, I see the defensive problems starting more in midfield, but his lack of height limits the yards he gets on headed clearances.

I just can't see enough defensive energy in that midfield.  They're all capable players, they're all willing.  None of them have that snap  in turnover or secondary ball.  If we had one more player like Washington played today, but in central midfield we might make a team.
    Lapslie would have been excellent in that midfield.
    Morgan would have been an improvement over Smith, as he has more energy

Smith has good control, but he wasn't really affecting the game with forward passes or running. And blatantly pulled out of a 50/50, which seems to be a cardinal sin under Bowyer...
    It is a cardinal sin. Brings back horrible memories of Alan McCormack, who Parkinson hauled off minutes later at half time. 

Bowyer has spoken a lot of nonsense after defeats recently but that wasn’t among it.  As an aside, watch the crap Klopp comes out with when they lose - and that’s an articulate, academically intelligent bloke . I know that’s not the point you were making btw !
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    We won and to me didn’t even get out of second gear , we are a better team than that .
    Slowly slowly pick ourselves up from this shameful run of form and we are good enough to be knocking on the play offs door .
    Oxford next and we can win there but will need an improvement on last night. 
    Positive for me Watson who is a class act and can read the game so  well , negative for me Smith weak as piss .

the play offs are back on COYR

10%  play offs 
    60% 7th-12th
    30% 13th-20th

Footnote : Bowyer seemed even more down than previously, looked like he was gonna cry , is someone bullying him 🤷‍♂️

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    All our away wins have been to nil.  Surely this must be some kind of record, no?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Deserves praise for that, a counter-intuitive masterstroke. I wouldn't have dreamed of giving the players a day off after the lazy performance against Blackpool. But it seemed to work wonders.
  • Options
    Good to see a win and 3 points. I wasn't able to watch the game but seems like there were some positives for once! Like a few people have said Oxford will be a bigger test and it's so important we don't concede early against them so we can grow into the game.

I'm glad Pearce played well. We all know he's on the slide but a solid player doesn't become a complete liability over night and with a young lad like Famewo in beside him I think we could build on this. 

In regards to the Sunday training comment from Bowyer isn't it standard practice for the pros to come in the day after a match for some stretches and warm down work then rest on the Monday? 
  • Options
    I'm with the crowd today - a badly needed win, and while Wigan may be a genuinely poor team, we did what we had to, and there were enough positives on the pitch to be happy about. Not exactly a huge win, but a good feeling none the less, and I hope Bowyer can read the positives (JFC, Aneke, etc) andvresist the urge to change.
    As an aside, judging by the Steve Brown comments, should Bowyer be looking over his shoulder at a potential management threat?
  • Options
    cazo said:
    redbuttle said:
    cazo said:
    I’m watching Oxford at the moment thay will beat us Saturday no doubt about it by 2 or 3.
    That's it. Stay positive.
    That’s ok I will we beat Wigan get real
    I am real...

We beat a team that Peterborough struggled to beat.
  • Options
    The good

3 points
    clean sheet
    Chuks goal
    Washington
    Energy and commitment from the players 
    LB has not lost the dressing room
    Smith looked promising
    We’ve missed JFC
    Good performance from Watson, Pearce
    Good organisation at the back

The bad

Only scored once
    Hanging on in the second half
    Smith and DJ, poor first touch
    Some poor tackles and passes gave the ball away needlessly
    Carved open a few times with ease by a poor side
    A better side would probably have scored at least one, maybe two

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Happy with the win, we should have killed it off before half time. Anyone who saw Blackpool's first penalty award on Saturday and said it was stonewall, or "50/50, but I have seen them given", and does not think our shout in the first half was at least as genuine needs their head examined.    
  • Options
    Good to get a win and a clean sheet - let's hope for a decent display on Saturday.

I don't understand why we are so much worse at home.