Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    A win.
    A clean sheet.
    And Browny calls me after the game 😁😁😁😁😁😁

I nearly didn’t answer the phone as I was still listening to Valley Pass 🤣🤣

😎
    Show off :p

;)
    Hell yeah!
    I’m still buzzing.

Walking in a Browny wonderland, whilst sipping an Aneke aperitif 😁😁😁😁😁😁
  • Options
    @KBslittlesis I hope Brownie apologised for not doing the radio commentary properly? When he went off on one of his excellent rambles (like in the build-up to our goal) I kept thinking of you and how you'd have no idea what was happening!
    🤣🤣
    to be fair, I love listening to him so much I can forgive him.
    But there were times it made me giggle 🤭 
  • Options
    Agree Watson’s best performance of season I’d sooner pratley to Watson but I think at the moment pratley is trying to hard and is wondering from his position of anchoring the midfield. Which has led to him not in position to close down the long range shots like the second goal against Blackpool. 
    JFC. Best player of season for me so far. 
  • Options
    It's a start, albeit against the bottom club and saves Bowyer's job for the immediate future
  • Options
    It seemed a classic Curbishley era performance when we were in a bit of a slump. He’d pack the midfield make us solid and then build off there for next game. 

Was surprised at the league table tbh I was looking for us down the 12th /13th place to see we’re still somehow 9th and not out of things contrary to general feeling here and on social media. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Attention to all people giving Maatsen 4 in Player Marks: I'm making a list, I'm checking it twice
    Yet you're fine to shit on the assister of our goal last night?

I feel I am going to have to go all Leuth on the Washington doubters. 

(FWIW I thought considering they tried to target him, Maatsen did well) 
  • Options
    We will need to step up against a decent Oxford team theres no doubt. 

Not knocking them, a wins a win and it was much needed. 

My biggest issue is the early sitting back. We just invite so much pressure onto ourselves and get caught out more often than not. 

Its something we need to for game management but last 15 maybe. When we are on the front foot against teams then we do so much better. Sitting back on a 2-0 lead is better than sitting on a 1-0.

Thought Watson had a good game. Calms things and made some great tackles. JFC was a dynamo as was Famewo. 

Imo Maatsen played better but he is better suited a left winger who can defend. 

Hopefully we can push on.

Also agree, think Steve Brown would be a great addition to the team...he can both analyse and coach and I think make players better. 
  • Options
    It is interesting seeing the post match comments by Bowyer that he didn't have them in on Sunday and gave the players thinking time and time away from him. Also that he simplified things and maybe, in hope more than expectation, he is realising that less interventions from him is still management. 
  • Options
    After Saturday all the rest of the games in March are in London, the only away game is Wimbledon.
  • Options
    T said:
    It seemed a classic Curbishley era performance when we were in a bit of a slump. He’d pack the midfield make us solid and then build off there for next game. 

Was surprised at the league table tbh I was looking for us down the 12th /13th place to see we’re still somehow 9th and not out of things contrary to general feeling here and on social media. 

Need to win 8 games and draw 3 to be in the mix for sixth spot. 14 games left.

Not impossible but difficult to imagine a team that has to "hang on" in the last few minutes of every game managing this!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Attention to all people giving Maatsen 4 in Player Marks: I'm making a list, I'm checking it twice
    I think Steve Brown takes some responsibility for that, by pointing out the positional and defensive errors Maatson made last night. 
    He was good to point out where Maatsen lacks experience, and he'd surely be a fine coach for the lad, but he was a little inconsistent, letting Matthews off several times when he was completely rinsed by his winger, even blaming Maatsen for one of those occasions! Maatsen also did plenty of good work (which Browny did note), and sure, his all-action style sometimes takes him to unusual parts of the field (which is why he's probably best as a wing-back, as he later became), but Bowyer clearly prefers him to Purrington for a good reason, and not because he's lost it either. He's proactive, makes a lot of interceptions, gets down the field and competes fiercely for everything. His ceiling is so, so much higher than Purrington's, even now as a raw and flawed youth
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:

I gave Washington a 6 for effort! Lol 'assister', that was a hopeful nod forward that should have been defended comfortably :p
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:

I gave Washington a 6 for effort! Lol 'assister', that was a hopeful nod forward that should have been defended comfortably :p
    Every goal will come from a mistake though

If you dont even try that sort of ball (Blackpool) then it'll never come off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:

Every goal will come from a mistake though

If you dont even try that sort of ball (Blackpool) then it'll never come off
    Annoyingly somehow Washington wasn't awarded the assist officially at least. 
  • Options
    If we can hook LB up to Curbishley and Brown's punditry before during and after the game, we could be onto something - good that we cut out the catastrophic errors although Matthews had a lucky escape when he missed that clearance. Watson plays with his brain which is a vast improvement on Pratley's robbie savage impersonation but still needs replacing - hopefully the wheels are already in motion there although not likely this season although not impossible. Hats off to JFC - a player transformed. Chucks must start every game when fit and certainly every other game - why on earth he was on the bench for the last 2, only LB knows.   
  • Options
    Top marks for Brown's contribution last night. He gave insights which would have passed me by if he hadn't pointed them out. 

Ref was ok too although I'd like to know his viewpoint on what contributes bundling or not bundling a player over in the box.

JFC was very good first half with able support from Smith. Watson the calm cover for the centre backs. Thought Matthews was better too.

What bugs me is the lack of ability of players in their crossing and shooting. Free kicks and crosses sailed over the box on a number of occasions. As for shooting skills, as Brown said, it should be simple for professionals: head down, chest leaning over the ball and thump it as hard as possible. Sadly all lacking in Charlton (and with relief Wigan) players last night.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I think Steve Brown takes some responsibility for that, by pointing out the positional and defensive errors Maatson made last night. 
    He was good to point out where Maatsen lacks experience, and he'd surely be a fine coach for the lad, but he was a little inconsistent, letting Matthews off several times when he was completely rinsed by his winger, even blaming Maatsen for one of those occasions! Maatsen also did plenty of good work (which Browny did note), and sure, his all-action style sometimes takes him to unusual parts of the field (which is why he's probably best as a wing-back, as he later became), but Bowyer clearly prefers him to Purrington for a good reason, and not because he's lost it either. He's proactive, makes a lot of interceptions, gets down the field and competes fiercely for everything. His ceiling is so, so much higher than Purrington's, even now as a raw and flawed youth
    At his best I agree. I think Purrington was one of our best players v Burton and was unlucky to be hooked and he wasn't the problem on Saturday either.

For me Purrington is a bit more solid although he is not so good against pace. Purrington gets a decent share of goals too for a full back. I would have Purrington above Maatson at the moment but accept it is a marginal call.

Agree about Matthews. He had a decent match but was caught out a couple of times that wasn't mentioned.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Quite unusual but fascinating when Brownie is in the commentary box, as it feels like you're sitting next a coach in the stand and he's explaining to you exactly what's going on out there.

So much more detail that a co-commentator normally provides, and I'm talking about the ones on TV and Radio not Greg and Terry.
    Agreed. I think we could do a lot worse than appointing Brownie as defensive coach.
    I said the same thing to my son last night.
    Me too ! 
  • Options
    A good 3 points. Not necessarily a good win in terms of performance (although better), but given recent displays and results that's totally irrelevant. 

Yes Wigan are even worse than us and although not great gave us a scare once or twice but come on, we all know that's the sort of game we'd usually lose! 

A return to the 433, don't think it's any coincidence that we had a better go of it playing the formation that Bowyer planned for this season but quickly abandoned once Doughty was out. Washington grafting on one side with Millar/ DJ as the flair winger on the other side I like, get the right balance with the midfield 3 and it's probably our best formation. Hope we persist with it. Aneke's injury woes will see Stockley and Schwartz get enough game time as the "main" striker in the front 3.
  • Options
    I don't hate Purrington and think he'd potentially work on the left of a back three (or the CENTRE of a back three, which I'm amazed we haven't tried since the fourth game of the season, when it worked well for 20 minutes). That said we'd then probably be playing a left-footer on the right of a back three if Pearce stays in. Famewo would probably have to do that. He probably could. This would free up Maatsen as a wing-back and allow Matthews to do likewise, AND allow a CM three, which suited Watson. The more I think about it the more I like it. It did look good against Burton (until it didn't).
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Quite unusual but fascinating when Brownie is in the commentary box, as it feels like you're sitting next a coach in the stand and he's explaining to you exactly what's going on out there.

So much more detail that a co-commentator normally provides, and I'm talking about the ones on TV and Radio not Greg and Terry.
    Agreed. I think we could do a lot worse than appointing Brownie as defensive coach.
    I said the same thing to my son last night.
    Me too ! 
    You said the same thing to @southamptonaddick 's son too Fanny ?
  • Options
    My main take from last night is what a difference having an ex pro commentating. No offence to Terry and Greg, both do a job but there’s a clear difference and made watching even more bearable.