Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb 2021 | 7pm

Comments

• Redemption for the away performance against them. 
    Confident we will have beaten them over two legs 
  • The ole Karl Robinson formation, I think it works if you’ve got two good wingers, which we have.

Amos
    Matthews, Oshilaja, Pearce, Purrington 
    Watson, Pratley
    Jaiyesimi, Shinnie, Millar
    Stockley
  • Morgan not in squad, is he injured? 
    Yeah I was thinking this - he's been playing well when he's come on, plus has worked on everything Bowyer has said he should work on. I just don't get it....
  • Pratson in midfield love it 
    we win fact 

not my back 4 though so can’t 100% the result 

65% Charlton 
    25% draw
    10% Burton 

• 5 changes from the weekend. 
    Just cant help himself can he ? Really should only have been 2 - Aneke & Pearce (if they thought Famewo couldn't  start)
  • I have a feeling we're sticking with a 4-4-2 but DJ is up top with Stockley and Shinnie/Millar on the wings. Disappointed not to see Chuks start but we know how much of a nuisance he can be coming off the bench
  • Wheres Gilbey?
  • SamB09 said:
    Wheres Gilbey?
    Injured
  • SamB09 said:
    Wheres Gilbey?
    Slight hamstring injury 
  • Four wins out of five when Watson and Pratley have started in midfield together according to Dazzler

Lets hope its five wins out of six
    3 wins out of 4 :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• No Gunter or Morgan in the 18, that's a sign of the depth of our squad

The midfield looks a bit stodgy, especially with the more defensive Purrington at LB, there doesn't seem much support for the front 3. I'd much rather have Smith or Morgan in place of Watson, but it looks like Bowyer wants to be solid tonight
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Looks quite attacking actually , think this formation could work well.
    What.....with 1 striker on the pitch & 3 on the bench ????

Rather play the 7 on the bench against the 11 of Burton.
    But you got your DJ Millar wish
  • 5 changes from the weekend. 
    Just cant help himself can he ? Really should only have been 2 - Aneke & Pearce (if they thought Famewo couldn't  start)
    And Jaiyesimi too presumably since you seemed so pleased to see him starting?

Looks like Gunter is missing through injury too which makes an enforced fourth change.

The only change that might be seen as “tinkering” is Watson in for Smith. Otherwise all of these switches make a lot of sense.
  • No one tell Leuth Watson and Pratley are starting and Maatsen is on the bench
  • CH4RLTON said:
    I have said that the last 7 formations, 1 has got to work..... 
  • edited February 2021
    Not sure if I'm excited by that team or not. If its 4-3-3 the idea of Millar and DJ running at defences with Stockley to pick out does excite me.

But then I think of a midfield of Watson and Pratley - maybe effective by the stats but dog awful to watch - and the fact that Aneke, our best player, is not starting.

• Ut oh the dreaded Watson Pratley Combo
  • Not the line-up I was expecting   . Watson must look good on the training pitch .
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    I get the frustration about the midfield 3 but something has to give if we are playing two wingers. Shinnie will get forward with one of Pratley or Watson but we have to be mindful that playing with three up top means we are susceptible to the counter especially down the wings. It’s an attacking formation even if some don’t like the personnel. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CH4RLTON said:

I know......but if you happened to have read what I said I did say that they should be feeding a front TWO. It's no surprise there is a long time football fanzine called  4-4-2  !!!
  • No Gunter or Morgan in the 18, that's a sign of the depth of our squad

The midfield looks a bit stodgy, especially with the more defensive Purrington at LB, there doesn't seem much support for the front 3. I'd much rather have Smith or Morgan in place of Watson, but it looks like Bowyer wants to be solid tonight
    Especially with Gunter missing, someone on VP made a comment on the weekend saying he's played nearly every minute of this season apart from a game or two
  • one up front, hmm. Those wingers will have to get close to Stockley. either that or Shinnie. 

Unless injured, If i was Morgan and Bowyer is still here in the summer i would leave. 
  • edited February 2021
    When we beat Oxford 2-0 at home we played a 4-3-3 with a midfield three of Shinnie, Watson and Pratley.

The back four that night were Gunter, Inniss, Famewo and Maatsen. Tonight it's Matthews, Oshilaja, Pearce and Purrington.

The front three that night were Smyth, Bogle and Washington. Tonight it's Jaiyesimi, Stockley and Millar.

The same XI played away at Blackpool (a 0-1 win) but with Doughty out wide rather than Smyth.

COYR.
  • Shocking midfield no point having 3 decent strikers with a midfield behind them as slow as that
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CH4RLTON said:

I know......but if you happened to have read what I said I did say that they should be feeding a front TWO. It's no surprise there is a long time football fanzine called  4-4-2  !!!
    Yes and we played that in the last three games at least, what there isn't a magazine called is 4-2-4!
  • Not really the time for a new forward line for me. But, come on you reds.
  • 4-2-3-1?

home to the bottom team and the top scorer is left on the bench.

bowyer is obsessed with changes! Crazy!

I’m so looking forward the the pace and energy of Watson and pratley
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!