Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV petition: STAND UP FOR CURBS!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’m not persuaded with the Curbishley stand. I don’t take anything away from curbs but if there was going to be a named stand its got to be Keith Peacock a long servant of CAFC. And anyway, we should be more bothered about the ownership still in Roland’s hands!

ROLAND OUT!
    We've got the CL linky ....... now we need to name it the "Roland Out Forever Stand". Erm.

• Options
    Been watching and enjoying Curbs on the Valley Pass. Know lots of the stories are in his book but still good to hear them and the way he tells them. I like this discussion about honouring him with a stand naming, but actually would rather he was taking a more active part in the club on the football side and not being looked upon only as part of the history of the club. All that knowledge and experience! 

If he gets his name on a stand that will be fine so long as a stand is left (he says in hope) to be named after a chairman who laid out his five year plan and put money behind it to ensure the club returned to to top table.

I will throw another named part of the ground. For several years we had the Colin Powell Pitch.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I still firmly hold the belief that the West and North Upper was funded because we were in the Premier League. Before that, we had a history of planning something then not doing it because we didn't have the funds. I'm not so sure the West Stand wouldn't have ended up looking more like the East had we not got promoted.

As Curbishley is the reason, for me, that we went up to the Premier League, I make it that he was responsible for that stand.  BTW, Curbs is still the sixth longest serving manager in Premier League history.
  • Options
    redeye said:
    Richard Murray immediately after Curb's last home game against Blackburn in April 2006 said on, Match Of The Day, that he (Curbs) would "have something named after him". Nearly 15years later we are still waiting. Well overdue!
    A lawsuit?
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I still firmly hold the belief that the West and North Upper was funded because we were in the Premier League. Before that, we had a history of planning something then not doing it because we didn't have the funds. I'm not so sure the West Stand wouldn't have ended up looking more like the East had we not got promoted.

As Curbishley is the reason, for me, that we went up to the Premier League, I make it that he was responsible for that stand.  BTW, Curbs is still the sixth longest serving manager in Premier League history.
    I thought the build was underway before we were promoted (Ipswich Play off) and that the stand was planned and under construction before we were promoted. It was nearly ready for the opening game v Southampton, but not quite. Pretty certain it would have been the same stage even if we were still in the second tier.
  • Options
    Signed...
  • Options
    edited February 2021

I thought the build was underway before we were promoted (Ipswich Play off) and that the stand was planned and under construction before we were promoted. It was nearly ready for the opening game v Southampton, but not quite. Pretty certain it would have been the same stage even if we were still in the second tier.
    Correct. The west stand would have been completed if we had never reached the Premier League. It was planned, funded and built in the second tier. Do people really think it was decided, planned and funded between the play-off final at the end of May and the second home game the next season?!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I associate the West Stand most with Curbs, regardless of whether he “built” it. For me, the Covered End is young, working class, the East is old and on a budget, and the West is middle aged, upper middle class aspirational. And with Curbs, the club ascended to the lofty heights of the upper-middle-class Premier League. That’s my logic. ;-)
  • Options
    Signed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now up to 2,115 and still climbing.
  • Options
  • Options
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    Well done all!! What a legend, absolutely deserved recognition. 
  • Options
    absolutely superb
  • Options
    Excellent news 
  • Options
    Too fucking right 
    as said at the time him going was the end of us and the shitness that followed proved what a footballing god he is ...