Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV petition: STAND UP FOR CURBS!

Comments

• Options
    And if we get any better we’ll move to a new ground and can name the new stands !
  • Options
    Am I being thick - the petition doesn’t actually state what it is petitioning Sandgaard to do, does it?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    cafctom said:
    Stig said:
    Airman, sorry if I've missed this but precisely what form of recognition are you suggesting? Is it to name a stand or is it something else. I am all in favour of him being recognised, but I am not yet ready to commit to stand-naming. We only have three un-named stands and the whole future to label them. I'd prefer to keep our powder dry in the hope of a more illustrious future. 
    What are the chances of us having a manager who lasts in the job for 15+ years, gets us promoted to the Premier League twice (and keeps us there), oversees the club’s greatest game (Wembley 1998), brings in legendary players like Powell/Mendonca/Hunt/Bowyer/Kinsella/Di Canio/Rufus/Brown/Robinson/Kiely/Parker etc, whilst providing enough firepower for the club to double the capacity of the stadium? 

If we’re going to have *three* more managers who go and exceed the above in their own way then I’ll be thrilled - but it’s not going to happen in our lifetimes. 
    The chances are low. Not sure what the relevance of 'our lifetimes' is though. I want the club to last longer than all of us.
    The relevance of "our lifetimes" is mute, the relevance of the life time of the stands isn't.  Or for that matter the life expectancy of football its self. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Am I being thick - the petition doesn’t actually state what it is petitioning Sandgaard to do, does it?
    It's a fair point and I've added an extra line, although I think the clue was in the name? It is also covered in the VOTV articles, including this one http://www.votvonline.com/home/the-2020-21-blogs/20-2-stand-up-for-curbs/

• Options
    edited February 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Curbishley's Covered End 

'Sponsored by Durex'
    Joking aside, I quite like the sound of 'The Alan Curbishley Covered End'.

Plus it was essentially funded off the back of the sustained success he brought to the club wasn't it?

The two greatest managers of our first 100 years opposite each other. 

Sort of means we are just renaming one of the two already named stands, and leaves two available for when we get to the Champions League within six years or whatever the current plan is!

Have signed. It's a good initiative. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    An excellent idea, I've always been a fan of having "named" stands, rather than the boring North, South, East, West or the rather desperate sounding "Perkins replacement windows stand". It's a great way of honouring club legends, and works especially well when you have clearly defined  separate stands, rather than a continuous bowl

Similarly, I was pleased when the club "officially" gave the Covered End its name 
  • Options
    Signed - great idea.

New Voice has landed here too this morning.
  • Options
    I vote for the South Stand 
    Trouble maker.

Good idea but think Keith Peacock also deserves recognition
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is long overdue, and the naming of the North Stand would be completely appropriate.  The Covered end was effectively closed forever in 2001.  The replacement North Stand was largely down to the efforts of Curbs, supported by many others, but the increase of the grounds capacity from 20k to 27k was all due to him completely overachieving in his job.  
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Airman, sorry if I've missed this but precisely what form of recognition are you suggesting? Is it to name a stand or is it something else. I am all in favour of him being recognised, but I am not yet ready to commit to stand-naming. We only have three un-named stands and the whole future to label them. I'd prefer to keep our powder dry in the hope of a more illustrious future. 
    3 unnamed stands so I think its about time after 116 years we recognised someone else with one of the stands.  He is the stand out candidate for the North Stand to be named after due to how it was built due mainly due to his outstanding achievements. 
  • Options
    Curbishley’s Quadrant.....maybe?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This is long overdue, and the naming of the North Stand would be completely appropriate.  The Covered end was effectively closed forever in 2001.  The replacement North Stand was largely down to the efforts of Curbs, supported by many others, but the increase of the grounds capacity from 20k to 27k was all due to him completely overachieving in his job.  
    I’ve a slightly different view, the Covered End to me will always be ‘the fans stand’ and the heartbeat of the club and The Valley (and I say that as someone whose sat elsewhere in recent years). 

I’d rather it not associated with an individual, and if it ever was, would need to be someone in the ‘darling of the Covered End’ category like say Killer. 

Curbs is a Charlton legend and was fantastic for our club, but he was never ever a ‘darling of the Covered End’ imo.
    Agree, it should be the East or West.  The West would probably be a better fit? As it was built, as is now, as a direct result of him being there. 
  • Options
    signed, would have to be the east stand, that’s the physical manifestation of his time at the club
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    With the West Stand being developed in line with our first Premier League run, I’ve always felt it would be appropriate for Curbs.

All other stands already have their own identity (Covered End, Jimmy Seed stand, and the East Stand having the ‘old East terrace’ folklore), whereas the West is a bit non-descript and can do with an update in status

I would also go with naming the West Stand.
  • Options
    I'd vote for the West Stand as well.

At Old Trafford for example, the 2 names stands are the side ones (after Ferguson and Bobby Charlton), at Anfield it's a side stand named after Dalglish.
  • Options
    West Stand would be my choice as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely feel there’s a discussion / debate to be had on it, but not sure imo if a petition is the right way to go about it.

As we saw with Roland, EFL and Government petitions during the protesting, you just don’t get the numbers to support that you’d like or reflect what you think is strength of feeling / support. We learnt through that, there’s a general petition-signing reluctance, lethargy and big numbers not social media / online active.  

And If you don’t then get the numbers to support, does that then provide an alternative argument against, that there is a degree of indifference, that probably would not have been there had it looked to be progressed in an alternative approach? 

Maybe i’m overthinking it. 
  • Options
    Here's a thought. We name the stand after him. He becomes Palace manager. We ok with that? (The name thing, I mean. He's entitled to take any job he wants).
  • Options
    If you read the article the North Stand has been officially named The Covered End so it’s either the West Stand or the East Stand. Either would be fine with me unless Curbs has a preference.
  • Options
    i don't think it should be the East as has been mentioned it was the old east terrace. 

also i know for a fact there was a few in the East that wanted rid of Curbs or for Curbs to have more ambition in his latter seasons at the club. 
  • Options
    Here's a thought. We name the stand after him. He becomes Palace manager. We ok with that? (The name thing, I mean. He's entitled to take any job he wants).
    There's little chance of that now, he's been out of the game so long, you can safely put him in the category of ex football managers
  • Options
    Done and shared 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I'm a bit torn.

I'm not a fan of naming stands after individuals.

Three of our stands already have names. The Jimmy Seed, The Covered End and The East Stand. The latter two evolved and are as much a part of our history (perhaps morso) than Curbs. I'd hate to see them change.

So that leaves the West Stand. I like it being the west stand.

I have to say that I'd prefer different recognition. Lets create an avenue of statues. We already have one. Curbs could be no. 2. There could be a group statue based on the 47 cup winning team picture with Don Welsh on shoulders. There could be Clive Mendonca with that pose, etc etc. Loads of moments to commemorate..

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I think we should re name the East Stand the Les Berry Stand in recognition for the amount of long clearances that ended up on the East Terrace......Only joking of course good old Les! 
  • Options
    Brilliant..,yes will be fully deserved,I’m with the West Stand too,singing .”Alan Curbishley’s Covered End Choir” is a bit of a mouthful...