Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV petition: STAND UP FOR CURBS!

Comments

• Options
    An excellent idea, I've always been a fan of having "named" stands, rather than the boring North, South, East, West or the rather desperate sounding "Perkins replacement windows stand". It's a great way of honouring club legends, and works especially well when you have clearly defined  separate stands, rather than a continuous bowl

Similarly, I was pleased when the club "officially" gave the Covered End its name 
    There are a lot of good arguments here against my cautionary approach. This is the most powerful one for me, I would hate that.  Signed.

Though I do agree with AFKA about the Covered End not being the right one.
  • Options
    Brilliant..,yes will be fully deserved,I’m with the West Stand too,singing .”Alan Curbishley’s Covered End Choir” is a bit of a mouthful...
    Yeah 'Alan curbishleys west stand' just rolls off the tongue
  • Options
    I'm a bit torn.

I'm not a fan of naming stands after individuals.

Three of our stands already have names. The Jimmy Seed, The Covered End and The East Stand. The latter two evolved and are as much a part of our history (perhaps morso) than Curbs. I'd hate to see them change.

So that leaves the West Stand. I like it being the west stand.

I have to say that I'd prefer different recognition. Lets create an avenue of statues. We already have one. Curbs could be no. 2. There could be a group statue based on the 47 cup winning team picture with Don Welsh on shoulders. There could be Clive Mendonca with that pose, etc etc. Loads of moments to commemorate..

I'm conflicted with that idea.

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Brilliant..,yes will be fully deserved,I’m with the West Stand too,singing .”Alan Curbishley’s Covered End Choir” is a bit of a mouthful...

We could probably do away with the 'West'!
  • Options
    Rather than start a new thread I'll ask this here:

Has Keith Peacock ever received an honour (MBE, OBE, etc) ?
    Personally think he deserves something for his contribution to football for over 50 years.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    shine166 said:

We could probably do away with the 'West'!
    Only if we keep crossbars and build another tier on the cupboard. Put the flasks with the kids, theyl love that. 
  • Options
    Rather than start a new thread I'll ask this here:

Has Keith Peacock ever received an honour (MBE, OBE, etc) ?
    Personally think he deserves something for his contribution to football for over 50 years.

No, but being affectionately known as 'Mr Charlton' is probably all our Keefy would ever want.
  • Options
    I'm a bit torn.

Three of our stands already have names. The Jimmy Seed, The Covered End and The East Stand. The latter two evolved and are as much a part of our history (perhaps morso) than Curbs. I'd hate to see them change.

I have to say that I'd prefer different recognition. Lets create an avenue of statues. We already have one. Curbs could be no. 2. There could be a group statue based on the 47 cup winning team picture with Don Welsh on shoulders. There could be Clive Mendonca with that pose, etc etc. Loads of moments to commemorate..

I'd love statues, but they do cost a lot of money - more than I originally realized. 

Naming a stand costs practically nothing, but holds the same degree of importance in my opinion. Plus, in Curbs' case I think it would be fitting that part of The Valley is named after him. Afterall, it was he who was at the helm when we returned in 1992.
  • Options
    signed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d be in favour of naming the East Stand as The Alan Curbishley Stand but I just think it might be better to do it in hopefully the not too distant future, when TS hopefully does a deal on the ground, and improves the Stand to the potential it could have - maybe another tier, corporate boxes etc and at least the same capacity as the West.   Demand permitting.

It looks a fairly dated stand at the moment.    Let’s improve it first and reopen it as the AC stand then.
  • Options
    I'm a bit torn.

“Loads of moments to commemorate.”

And loads of money to create it!
  • Options
    I vote for the South Stand 
    Trouble maker.

Good idea but think Keith Peacock also deserves recognition
    I think the Bob Peeters stand has much better ring to it
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    This discussion got me thinking quite a bit about Curbishley's influence on our club, and its actually quite staggering when you really look into it. 

Everyone knows the impact he had as a manager in those 15 years and all the accomplishments and moments that came with it. But in an indirect way, his influence is still being seen at Charlton even years after he left.

Think about the two incredible promotion seasons from League One - 2012 and 2018. These seasons had Chris Powell and Lee Bowyer at the helm. Two players/managers who have legendary status in the eyes of many. Without Curbs, do we even have Powell and Bowyer as 'Charlton men'? Probably not.

Every youth player that has come through to our first team in the past 8-9 years have come through Jason Euell. Again, another one of Curbs' key men. 

I know I might be seen as 'reaching' a bit here with some of these ties, but his influence is still alive and well at the club. He has 'godfather' like status. Very few clubs, even those on the world stage, can point to a figure like that who has held that influence over 30-35 years in today's day and age. 
    sadly, all completely undermined by his performance in a game v Oxford at Selhurst one year.
    ?
  • Options
    Would renaming a stand mean we'd have to pay Roland some extra cash? 
  • Options
    I'm a bit torn.

Was the "East terrace" actually every named that? I've sometimes seen it referred to as the "big side"
  • Options
    If any stand were to be renamed my preference would be for it to be the west stand. All the other stands have their own name/character apart from the West. Unfortunately I find it a bit bland but there we go.
  • Options
    Done .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am pretty certain that this subject got brought up in one of the VIP season ticket meetings several years back and got negative feedback. 
  • Options
    I'm a bit torn.

Was the "East terrace" actually every named that? I've sometimes seen it referred to as the "big side"
    Big Side........that’s news to me and that’s after 63 years, much of which was spent standing on it.
    Have occasionally heard it referred to as The East Bank......but that’s going way back to the 50’s early 60’s.
  • Options
    Would renaming a stand mean we'd have to pay Roland some extra cash? 
    You've got me wondering again now. It seems more than a bit weird naming other people's property.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    This discussion got me thinking quite a bit about Curbishley's influence on our club, and its actually quite staggering when you really look into it. 

Everyone knows the impact he had as a manager in those 15 years and all the accomplishments and moments that came with it. But in an indirect way, his influence is still being seen at Charlton even years after he left.

Think about the two incredible promotion seasons from League One - 2012 and 2018. These seasons had Chris Powell and Lee Bowyer at the helm. Two players/managers who have legendary status in the eyes of many. Without Curbs, do we even have Powell and Bowyer as 'Charlton men'? Probably not.

Every youth player that has come through to our first team in the past 8-9 years have come through Jason Euell. Again, another one of Curbs' key men. 

I know I might be seen as 'reaching' a bit here with some of these ties, but his influence is still alive and well at the club. He has 'godfather' like status. Very few clubs, even those on the world stage, can point to a figure like that who has held that influence over 30-35 years in today's day and age. 
    sadly, all completely undermined by his performance in a game v Oxford at Selhurst one year.
    ?
    A bit tongue in cheek - ironic balancing all of his accomplishments with the club, which were up there with Seed and Lawrence, with what I recall being one of the worst performances I ever saw...one clearly doesn't cancel out the other..
  • Options
    I'm a bit torn.

I always new it as The East Terrace, although only stood on it once (v Watford in the FA Cup) and only started going the year we left.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I think he deserves a toilet block at least!

Voted and contributed.
  • Options
    Signed. VOTV arrived this morning to PO10 great read as always
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Has to be the west stand. Wouldn’t have been built without the success Curbs brought to the club. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Signed. 

The Jimmy Seed Stand should be kept forever. 
    The Covered End, the fans stand, likewise.

Leaves 2 stands to be named. I think it should be the West Stand renamed. As that’s where Curbs spent most of his time. Either in the dugout or up in the stand for a better overall view in the first half.

However would be happy enough if it’s the East that’s renamed.
  • Options
    Over 800 now. Good work.