Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV petition: STAND UP FOR CURBS!

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that this forum won't defer for a few years to see if Bowyer can match Curbs achievements.
  • Options
    Can TS name the stand? He doesn't own the stadium

• Options
    Richard Murray immediately after Curb's last home game against Blackburn in April 2006 said on, Match Of The Day, that he (Curbs) would "have something named after him". Nearly 15years later we are still waiting. Well overdue!
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Kinsella should have a corner section named after him, in recognition of his gamesmanship.
    And then name sign should be just outside the stand
  • Options
    The Karel Fraeye urinal
    Far too classy. The Karel Fraeye Khaze.
  • Options
    "I'm just going for a Karel"
  • Options
    Signed. 

Funny though, if it wasnt for his appearances on Valley Pass this season, I might have hesitated. Nothing rational but I often wondered about his feelings for us. I never begrudged him his West Ham bloodline, but always felt it. 

But watching him today, orchestrating the pre- match banter - he is bloody funny, and I never knew that - I felt the warmth of...i dunno...Home, if thats not too pompous, and witnessed how much at home he really is among us too. I guess its not that surprising, as a pro it was the best time of his career, and not a short time either. 

It’s not  part of the thread, but whoever is responsible for the current Valley Pass setup, and getting Curbs and Scott Minto to front it, is also a hero, and deserves at least a turnstile named after them😁
    Great shout. I've heard it was Robert Lee. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I’m not persuaded with the Curbishley stand. I don’t take anything away from curbs but if there was going to be a named stand its got to be Keith Peacock a long servant of CAFC. And anyway, we should be more bothered about the ownership still in Roland’s hands!

ROLAND OUT!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    East Stand= Lewellyn Curbishley stand
    South Stand= Jimmy Seed stand
    West Stand= Charlton Pensioners stand
    North Stand= Jim Davidson stand up
  • Options
    Curbs as good as built the West Stand, 
  • Options
    Signed with the hope of a successful outcome.
  • Options
    Fair play to him not resting that summer. Must have been hard work building by himself. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I wonder if it's really necessary. We've already named all our road edging after him.
    I don’t think anyone got it @IdleHans
    Well, it made me laugh.
    😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    I wonder if it's really necessary. We've already named all our road edging after him.
    Agreed - paint the ones on Floyd Road with "The Curb Kerb" as a mark of our respect and admiration.

We can then build on the idea for other legends.

Put some rocks in the car park - "The Bolder Boulder"

Build a small mound of earth to commemorate an ex-chairman - "The Hill Hill"

Plant a small flower bed for an ex manager - "The Seed Seed (bed)"

Spread some gravel for another ex manager - "The Gritt Grit"

I'm sure there are others.....

I want to see a John Fryer in one of the catering outlets, briefly, before we send it to Croydon.

• Options
    I hope it doesn't end up being Llewellyn's Latrines.
  • Options
    Got to be the 'Alan Curbishley West Stand' - not only did he give us some great teams to watch, promotions and top flight football, he was the only manager in my lifetime to break the millwall curse - a proper legend. 
  • Options
    Signed and passed on. 
  • Options
    If anyone it should be Keith Peacock.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Given the west stand was built in stages during the mid 90s and would have been completed regardless of the 1998 play-off outcome plus the fact Charlton had not been below the second tier since 1981, I’m not sure that’s really true. There is a better case to say that his achievements led to the building the north stand, but I don’t think that has to govern the naming issue.
  • Options
    Should be the north upper. Wouldn't have been built without him.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This is long overdue, and the naming of the North Stand would be completely appropriate.  The Covered end was effectively closed forever in 2001.  The replacement North Stand was largely down to the efforts of Curbs, supported by many others, but the increase of the grounds capacity from 20k to 27k was all due to him completely overachieving in his job.  
    I’ve a slightly different view, the Covered End to me will always be ‘the fans stand’ and the heartbeat of the club and The Valley (and I say that as someone whose sat elsewhere in recent years). 

I’d rather it not associated with an individual, and if it ever was, would need to be someone in the ‘darling of the Covered End’ category like say Killer. 

Curbs is a Charlton legend and was fantastic for our club, but he was never ever a ‘darling of the Covered End’ imo.
    Also can see this point of view. Man I am easily swayed!
  • Options
    rename the family stand curbs corner (family stand).