Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Referee Darren Drysdale

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    No, you make a decision like that you tell people what its for. Until there is a rule only captains speak to referees the players can respectfully ask what the decision was for 

"Your number 6 pushed their number 10" nice and easy. If you question his decision which isn't going to change, and he says that's my decision then fair enough 
  • Options
    Question as I'm genuinely interested in people's views on this. 

Years ago I was playing a game, half decent level, neutral view, cup game. Corner/cross came in, our big CB went for it with one of there lads and I came in behind, beating another of theres to nod in. Ref disallowed it for a foul. When I asked who fouled, he just said he'd made his decision. A couple of ours were shouting at him, he just said he'd made his decision and walked off. All four players were close together, I think it was the wrong decision but that's irrelevant to the question. 

Now do you think in this position the ref should quickly inform the player(s) of his decision. Or do you think it was irrelevant as he'd made his decision? Just interested to hear people's thoughts. Personally I think he should have said which one but I also appreciate the ref was just trying to stamp his authority on the game. For me though I just lost a bit of respect for him straight away. 

Answer possibly be he quickly tells the captains but then that can slow the game if he has to call them towards him. 
    He'd made his decision.
  • Options
    Sometimes the best thing the ref can do is say nothing.
    by responding to you it can end in a long winded argument. 
    Personally it’s how the player approaches me to the response I give if you are running at me shouting and waving your arms it’s probably best to not engage with you. If your seem calm then I might explained the decision. 
    You see refs give a free kick point out where it is then run away. This is because if you stand over the free kick with the player your inviting conversation which could lead to a argument. For example he might say that was a yellow card. You then answer no it wasn’t he then responds yes it was.This can then be an argument by running away your not there to argue with so no confrontation. 
    It also keeps the game moving the times players want to have a conversation/ argument and when you stop the game to explain they say oh just get on with it your wasting time. But it’s them that wanted to have the conversation. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    No, you make a decision like that you tell people what its for. Until there is a rule only captains speak to referees the players can respectfully ask what the decision was for 

"Your number 6 pushed their number 10" nice and easy. If you question his decision which isn't going to change, and he says that's my decision then fair enough 
    Completely agree, always preferred refs (Sunday league level) who just explained themselves, they might be wrong but at least they are giving you a reason. 

To be honest it was usually the ones who'd get things right who did so, and the useless ones he didn't want any questions at all and gave you to "No, go away!" before you even ask a question.

Had one who wouldn't even tell you how long was left because basically he didn't have to.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Only ever happened to me once, but when refereeing a Sunday League game a player called me a cheat so I sent the fecker off.
    His team mates accepted my decision.

Was that when Paddy scored a goal despite being 30 yards offside ?
  • Options
    Years ago when doing my coaching badge I did a refs course as well, and ref’d a few games. The amount of stick I got was awful just because I was the referee, at the time I was still playing (badly) but as a player you see it differently when refs cop it. In one match I had a quiet word with a fat centre forward who was giving me dogs abuse and reminded him we could continue our chat once the match ended, needless to say he shut up and shook my hand once the match ended.  So I get it how the ref reacted last night, but he will undoubtedly be sanctioned and as much as I like what he did, as a pro ref it wasn’t the right reaction from him. He will dine out on it a few times though 👏👏👏
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Has been charged by the FA with improper conduct
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/56096867
  • Options
    Lambert still not letting it go, saying it was "a watered-down apology".

"I'm hoping the Football Association will look at the whole incident, including Flynn's red card"

Can't help but think that he's trying to deflect all the attention away from the fact that he's been doing a very shit job as manager.

Lambert needs to be speaking to his team about their abuse of referees the useless pile of shite.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    A few people have mentioned the better behaviour in Rugby .. if/when the referee is even argued with or he hears criticism, he can penali0se the offender by marching his team back 10 yards for EVERY offence .. am I right in saying that this was trialed in football a few years back ? .. If so, it was soon abandoned for some reason.
     Remember Antonio Rattin the Argie captain sent off against England in the World Cup '66 ? .. he was sent off for arguing with the ref and kept insisting that he had a right to speak/argue as he was the team captain, he kept pointing to his armband, it did no good, he was off (followed by a temporary walk off by the rest of the team lol)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few people have mentioned the better behaviour in Rugby .. if/when the referee is even argued with or he hears criticism, he can penali0se the offender by marching his team back 10 yards for EVERY offence .. am I right in saying that this was trialed in football a few years back ? .. If so, it was soon abandoned for some reason.
     Remember Antonio Rattin the Argie captain sent off against England in the World Cup '66 ? .. he was sent off for arguing with the ref and kept insisting that he had a right to speak/argue as he was the team captain, he kept pointing to his armband, it did no good, he was off (followed by a temporary walk off by the rest of the team lol)
    Firstly it wasn't enforced regularly enough, but also territory isn't as important in football as it is in rugby.

Yellow/red cards are they way to go.

We had a really strict no swearing rule in our Sunday League brought in at one point as residents next to the pitch had been complaining, yellow card for any swearing.  Players soon learnt and stopped (and shouted something else instead!).
  • Options
    Yeah typically the Football referees got rid as they werent bothering to enforce it - Useless fact but seem to recall Charlton being the first team to score from that rule, Greg Shields against Birmingham at the Valley in 99/00 if my memory serves me right
  • Options
    FA will end referees career
    No appetite to address overall indiscipline in the game
    Div 1 games occasionally more notable for excessive fouling with attendant verbal abuse than quality of the football. 
    We contribute on this site with endless bad mouthing of referees. 
  • Options
    Div 1 games occasionally more notable for excessive fouling with attendant verbal abuse than quality of the football. 
    This is what puts loads of ex players off doing the referees course to stay involved. 

Need balls of steel to do Saturday and Sunday local league games or have a napoleon complex. And let's be honest its an utterly thankless task with no support. A players gets a sign and die you can guarantee they will be back playing as a ringer and what can you do about that? 

Like others have said about rugby, rugby players are just as badly behaved and violent, underhand as footballers, I've been eye gouged, bitten, had attempted thumbs in the arse, got stamped on every single game but no naughty words. 

Referees can help themselves, Jarnail Singh was one of the best referees in the league, didn't take any shit and controlled games. Never moaned about him doing one of our games 
  • Options
    A few people have mentioned the better behaviour in Rugby .. if/when the referee is even argued with or he hears criticism, he can penalise the offender by marching his team back 10 yards for EVERY offence .. am I right in saying that this was trialed in football a few years back ? .. If so, it was soon abandoned for some reason.

The 10-yard penalty law was abandoned because I think FIFA felt that only the rugby nations understood the concept of it. A pretty weak excuse, if you ask me.

The players soon adapted to it though ... and not in the way the law-makers expected.

If they'd conceded a free-kick 20-25 yards from goal the players would then engage in a spot of dissent to move the ball closer to goal and thus make it more difficult to score direct.

There's a similar law in the AFL (Aussie Rules): any sort of dissent or back-chat and you get a 50-metre penalty paid against you ... and then you could expect to cop a spray from the coach soon after.

With rugby and Aussie Rules gaining territory makes it easier to score; it's not always the case in football and, perversely, being closer to goal may actually make it harder.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Carter said:
    This is what puts loads of ex players off doing the referees course to stay involved. 

Need balls of steel to do Saturday and Sunday local league games or have a napoleon complex. And let's be honest its an utterly thankless task with no support. A players gets a sign and die you can guarantee they will be back playing as a ringer and what can you do about that? 

Like others have said about rugby, rugby players are just as badly behaved and violent, underhand as footballers, I've been eye gouged, bitten, had attempted thumbs in the arse, got stamped on every single game but no naughty words. 

Referees can help themselves, Jarnail Singh was one of the best referees in the league, didn't take any shit and controlled games. Never moaned about him doing one of our games 
    A bit harsh. Sine Die a bit less so..
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Carter said:

A bit harsh. Sine Die a bit less so..
    Haha we unilaterally called it sign and die. The correct way sounds a bit weird to me now 
  • Options
    Darren Drysdale will not referee Southend's game with Bolton on Saturday after being charged with improper conduct by the Football Association.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56112629
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Paul Lambert's response is disappointing, but cant really argue as like Lincs says, would we have different opinions if he did that with Albie Morgan?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55373546

How about Lambert finds out and tells us what Judge said in the first place when he went storming over to Drysdale to get the reaction in the first place? - Both must know what got said but we'll only get one side of the story again.

Amen to this bit

Can understand Drysdale being unable to explain why he did it as he probably did regret the action the moment it happened
    Judge's words after the game "I considered the matter closed as soon as the game was over...no hard feelings etc etc..."  this speaks loudly of Judge knowing full well he was bang out of order and in any other confrontation he'd have got a hiding, players behave despicably towards referees cos they know the refs' hands are tied, any other scenario they eff and jeff and see you next tuesday right up in some bloke's grill and they're risking a kicking - on a football pitch their worst sanction is an early bath and a suspension.
    Judge is an irritating gobby shitehawk who'd not say boo to a bloke as big as Drysdale anywhere or anywhen else.

Drysdale's still gonna get the book thrown at him of course, which is a shame when fuckwit referees in the EPL go look at VAR to see the scale of their last mistake and double down by sending defenders off for doing nothing wrong - Pawson, Mason and Dean to name but 3 recent game ruiners
  • Options
    Shame the ref lost it ..... if he'd been more composed, maybe Judge would have given him the opportunity of giving 2 yellow cards in quick succession?
    Gobby little shite.
  • Options
    It would be nice if Drysdale got a bit of support of some kind from the FA.
    Being a referee can be a lonely job and I feel sure they would like to know someone's got their back.
  • Options
    Seems a bit unprofessional to me.

Yes it is extremely unprofessional for footballers and managers to act like this.
    And yet fat boy Evans gets away with it every game?
  • Options
    In almost 55 years' watching the game I've never seen a referee behave like this. However, we don't know what Judge said to him. I doubt it was "Oh dear, think you've got that one wrong old chap!" Could have been something really personal and the ref snapped. Either way a one match suspension and a written warning should suffice. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Darren Drysdale will not referee Southend's game with Bolton on Saturday after being charged with improper conduct by the Football Association.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56112629
    Piss poor really, should've stood by him and said something along the lines of 'whilst this was a regrettable incident, we accept his apology and have warned him as to his future conduct. Case is now closed and Darren can get back to refereeing'.
  • Options
    Whatever, the ref scared the sh*t out of Alan Judge. :smile: