Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Referee Darren Drysdale

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Anyone who thinks Rugby is a perfect world, has never played rugby
    Treatment & respect of refs is much better, but some of the stuff that gets missed is quite nasty. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:
    Treatment & respect of refs is much better, but some of the stuff that gets missed is quite nasty. 

It’s better not perfect, and the edited version you get from mic’ed up refs in Super League, Premiership etc isn’t what’s really said on a pitch. 

Your life in Rugby is very much in a referees hands, maybe that helps, but there is as much industrial language thrown around on a pitch as there is in football
  • Options
    Uriah Rennie was great at getting between players before things kicked off. 
    He was a Black belt and can't remember any players getting in his face !
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    The amount of shit Refs get is ridiculous...Would it be normal to call your co-worker a fucking wanker or something to his face & not expect grief back. 

Dont blame him for sticking up for himself....No one gets paid enough to be spoken too like a bit of shit for 90 minutes.
    Co-worker? The ref is supposed to be in charge.

The law of the jungle is not appropriate for any profession.
    So its okay for someone to be abused for a certain amount of time for doing his job? I am sure its not in the job description that you will be abused.

Ive played football and I have disagreed with decisions to the tone of "fucking hell ref" but never insulted them personally. 

If he stands up for himself and gives it back...might show whos in charge!!
    No it isn’t ok - and the way to deal with it professionally using the provided disciplinary procedure. In this case it is a card followed by details of the incident in the referee’s match report.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:

It’s better not perfect, and the edited version you get from mic’ed up refs in Super League, Premiership etc isn’t what’s really said on a pitch. 

Your life in Rugby is very much in a referees hands, maybe that helps, but there is as much industrial language thrown around on a pitch as there is in football
    I played rugby for years and I don't think I ever said anything to a referee during a game other than 'yes sir' when I was being spoken to. Not to make myself sound whiter than white but even speaking to referees if you weren't the captain got you and your teammates penalised. Football referees I never argued with, not because of my time spent on a rugby pitch but because I didnt see the point when I was younger and as I got older I was very aware we had no football of we had no referees. 

That said 

Its about boundaries, anyone who played in the Rochester and District leagues up until id guess the mid 2000s would have been refereed by a guy called Geoff Ford who would not hesitate to send you off for swearing even at yourself in frustration, so we knew and knew that arguing with him or swearing wasn't just pointless it was costly. The flip side is he would let any tackle go, he booked a few players for diving  he hated that and booked on guy I'd cleaned out for making a meal of it. You knew he would take no mouth and we all accepted it 

Players who are allowed to gob off at referees unpunished have not had a boundary set, for me personally any game I've refereed mainly up to under 15s I make it crystal clear that any bullshit, whinging, appealing anything like that I will send people off for. To be fair the kids were always fine it was parents that were the problem. 

Fair play to the ref, he is a human being and they have to put up with this shit all the time, he didn't nut Judge ffs he showed he wasn't going to be confronted like that and good on him, hope the league backs him. 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    The amount of shit Refs get is ridiculous...Would it be normal to call your co-worker a fucking wanker or something to his face & not expect grief back. 

Dont blame him for sticking up for himself....No one gets paid enough to be spoken too like a bit of shit for 90 minutes.

So its okay for someone to be abused for a certain amount of time for doing his job? I am sure its not in the job description that you will be abused.

Ive played football and I have disagreed with decisions to the tone of "fucking hell ref" but never insulted them personally. 

No it isn’t ok - and the way to deal with it professionally using the provided disciplinary procedure. In this case it is a card followed by details of the incident in the referee’s match report.
    I think this point is getting missed, it doesn't matter what the player says or does or that players in general get away with shouting and swearing at refs, there are set rules on how to discipline players and getting in their faces isn't one of them. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

I think this point is getting missed, it doesn't matter what the player says or does or that players in general get away with shouting and swearing at refs, there are set rules on how to discipline players and getting in their faces isn't one of them. 
    Fair enough but can you honestly remember retrospective action being taken on abuse of an official? 

Or even an official sending a player off there and then? Also we dont know what Judge actually said. We are all human and for a split second you forget where you are and what you should do in a situation like that.
  • Options
    Rush of blood, shouldn't have done it.

It's a referee's job to calm and diffuse a situation not create one where there isn't one.

Alan Judge is about 5 ft 7 in, I wonder if Darren would be as quick to square up to someone like Ryan Inniss.

Furthermore he's surely a target for other players to wind up now.
    If he is like any of the military people I know, then yes, he would.
    I'm from a different country but the military people I know are just as prone to be bullies and small-men as the rest of society so I guess you're correct.
    ???
    You asked if the ref would stand up to a bigger player - I suggested he would. It has nothing to do with being a bully or being small, and everything to do with standing up for yourself on principle, irrespective of the size or otherwise of the opponent.
    I was agreeing with you - nothing to do with "principle" though or being in the military.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Fair enough but can you honestly remember retrospective action being taken on abuse of an official? 

Or even an official sending a player off there and then? Also we dont know what Judge actually said. We are all human and for a split second you forget where you are and what you should do in a situation like that.
    Image result for di canio pushes ref

11 match ban!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

11 match ban!
    The comedy fall and crawl still crack me up, as Well as the final wounded look back up at Di Canio. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

11 match ban!
    Just shows the player was in the wrong ;) 

But how long was that ago!! Though thanks for sharing...the way he falls is always good for a laugh!
  • Options
    • "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures" is a sending off offence. 
    The trouble is that it so common and used so often that, if referees were to enforce the Laws of the Game, we would end up with a five a side. At times, I really wish that were to be the case. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Not perfect but much better where the referee is concerned
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    We definitely need to replicate the way rugby is refereed.  I can see why people like this, but what if the player is a 6 foot 4 shitehouse wall and the ref is 5'9" and getting on a bit?  As soon as the ability to lamp someone becomes the criteria for how much authority you have we are fucked.
  • Options
    • "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures" is a sending off offence. 
    The trouble is that it so common and used so often that, if referees were to enforce the Laws of the Game, we would end up with a five a side. At times, I really wish that were to be the case. 
    I think it's direct abuse or suggestions of cheating that carry the most punishment, with effing and blinding not in itself a cautionable offence
  • Options
    Must admit to being a bit disappointed Drysdale apologised when there are so many Makro's car parks around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    massively blown out of proportion - ref has apologised, will probably be taken out of the firing line for a couple of weeks.

Lambert wants to be questioning his player not the ref.

EFL and FA should be backing the ref and calling for clubs to control their players better
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Not perfect but much better where the referee is concerned
    The only incident I can recall of a referee getting one from a player was when Neil Back of Leicester (and England) pushed the referee in frustration during the Cup Final v Bath. This was back in the mid 1990s. Back got a six month ban, but as this included the close season was not quite as draconian as it might seem
  • Options
    He's said sorry, move on. 

Imagine if players had to publicly apologise every time they acted out of turn. Be endless.
    And the gobby Gills manager
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Referees have to be above this sort of behaviour as they are the ones punishing that very behaviour amongst the players. They have two coloured cards in their pockets to assist them.

Totally unprofessional.
    Do they get punished though. Every game I watch I see players abusing the ref. If the ref was to start producing cards every time it happened a lot of games would be abandoned. I don't think the FA would support the refs handing out 5/6 cards per match for it. So in that respect they have to take a lot of abuse before showing the card. Admittedly last night was probably one of those times that the card could have come out as the punishment. 
    If it was punished consistently and every time then the behaviour would change.

Only the captain should be able to approach the referee unless the referee requests another player to approach him. Egg chasers have it covered. 
    I agree, but the FA need to lead on it. Make players aware of the rules and consequences, instruct the ref to follow the instructions and punish. In fairness I'm not massive familiar with the general rules, i.e what warrants a yellow/red card but I do know they're clearly not firm enough. When I spoke to one of the ex refs last summer he said you have to detail the decision very thoroughly in the match report. I bet a lot of refs can't be asked to do it with the rules not being easy to follow. It' not just the players either, the managers go mental on the sidelines. 

There's so much money involved I can understand the emotions involved in the Premier League. I also don't think VAR has helped things. Celebrating a goal and then it's chalked off because you haven't cut your nails in a while is bound to cheese you off and the refs get that anger even when it's not their decision. 
  • Options
    Think the ref will get suspended at least might get a ban.he needs to stay calm in all situations which is very hard sometimes.
    Referees do get suspended and banned not just players some of the professional refs still ref Sunday mornings too. Darren England was referring in Barnsley on Sunday’s. 
    John moss came to one of our refs meetings and said how sorry he was for  refs on local parks who have to take abuse from players who think it’s ok to abuse the ref because they see the players do it on match of the day. 
    He said if he sent off say Wayne Rooney one week and then steven gerrard the next for foul and abusive language he wouldn’t be referring the 3rd week.
    because basically this is an entertainment industry and you have 50000 spectators paid to see them so if your sending them off for swearing it’s unacceptable.l and your ruining the game. 

• Options
    He's said sorry, move on. 

Imagine if players had to publicly apologise every time they acted out of turn. Be endless.
    To be honest lets now hear Judge apologise too?

But again the player will get away with saying / doing what ever they want, especially as he didnt get sent off so hasnt been punished 
  • Options
    Although possible understandable - who knows what he's going through in his personal life - he's a professional referee.

He should have just laughed off the abuse and sent the little shit off.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

11 match ban!
    Every time I see this I think the ref made too much of it (seriously)
  • Options
    Question as I'm genuinely interested in people's views on this. 

Years ago I was playing a game, half decent level, neutral view, cup game. Corner/cross came in, our big CB went for it with one of there lads and I came in behind, beating another of theres to nod in. Ref disallowed it for a foul. When I asked who fouled, he just said he'd made his decision. A couple of ours were shouting at him, he just said he'd made his decision and walked off. All four players were close together, I think it was the wrong decision but that's irrelevant to the question. 

Now do you think in this position the ref should quickly inform the player(s) of his decision. Or do you think it was irrelevant as he'd made his decision? Just interested to hear people's thoughts. Personally I think he should have said which one but I also appreciate the ref was just trying to stamp his authority on the game. For me though I just lost a bit of respect for him straight away. 

Answer possibly be he quickly tells the captains but then that can slow the game if he has to call them towards him.