Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Referee Darren Drysdale

What is the consensus?

About time we saw a ref stand up to these players?

or

Bang out of order, if he was a player he’d be shown a red and banned for an age?

Personally, good on him. He’s an RAF SM apparently. No messing 💪🏻

Comments

• Rush of blood, shouldn't have done it.

It's a referee's job to calm and diffuse a situation not create one where there isn't one.

Alan Judge is about 5 ft 7 in, I wonder if Darren would be as quick to square up to someone like Ryan Inniss.

Furthermore he's surely a target for other players to wind up now.
  • Good on him . Alan judge has always had little man syndrome and he should have put one on him .
  • Judge is a gobby shite and I fully support the ref.

Might not have been the best course of action but completely understandable and I hope the EFL do the sensible thing
  • Oh is that who it was against Ipswich - Even more respect to him then, have always felt that he's one of the better referees at this level
  • Mixed feelings about it .. yes I can understand him losing his rag temporarily and making a wrong decision on the spur of the moment .. on the other hand he is paid to take control of what is a very competitive and passionate professional game and he must accept that he will get a lot of agro and abuse .. that is why he has red and yellow cards to deal with any player who gets right out of order .. I expect he'll be banned for this and possibly sacked
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Judge is a gobby shite and I fully support the ref.

Might not have been the best course of action but completely understandable and I hope the EFL do the sensible thing
    There was a lot of support on here for us signing Judge a few years back .. I reckon we would have all been up in arms IF he'd been wearing  an Addicks shirt and the nasty ref dared do that to him ((:>)
  • He didn't actually headbutt him though did he, just got in his face to bark back a bit.

Bit daft and as a ref you're supposed to be above that, but it's been blown out of proportion.
  • Strange one. 

On one hand I'm completely with the ref because they put up with so much shit. Having never known one, I've met two ex professional refs in the last 18 months and they said the money outside of the Prem doesn't really make it worthwhile given what is required from them. About time a player realised he can't treat them like that and they deserve a bit more respect. 

But on the other hand it's not a good look at all. I'd very much like to see the FA clamping down on the abuse suffered by the refs, with larger bans and financial punishment for offenders. Is the answer to square up to the player? Probably not, but it was only a matter of time before it happened. 
  • I can see him having an enforced rest, not the thing a ref should be doing.
  • Paul Lambert's response is disappointing, but cant really argue as like Lincs says, would we have different opinions if he did that with Albie Morgan?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55373546

How about Lambert finds out and tells us what Judge said in the first place when he went storming over to Drysdale to get the reaction in the first place? - Both must know what got said but we'll only get one side of the story again.

Can understand Drysdale being unable to explain why he did it as he probably did regret the action the moment it happened
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    Referees have to be above this sort of behaviour as they are the ones punishing that very behaviour amongst the players. They have two coloured cards in their pockets to assist them.

Totally unprofessional.
    Do they get punished though. Every game I watch I see players abusing the ref. If the ref was to start producing cards every time it happened a lot of games would be abandoned. I don't think the FA would support the refs handing out 5/6 cards per match for it. So in that respect they have to take a lot of abuse before showing the card. Admittedly last night was probably one of those times that the card could have come out as the punishment. 
  • I love the respect shown to the referee in rugby:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpxEOQ0bVo

Unfortunately footballers are not as universally capable of acting in such a respectful way. I just don’t think enough of them have been bought up in such a way that would allow it to become a universal way of behaving. People can call it a toffs sport etc - but from my experience in working with players from a number of sports.... rugby players on the whole are far easier to deal with.

• The amount of shit Refs get is ridiculous...Would it be normal to call your co-worker a fucking wanker or something to his face & not expect grief back. 

Dont blame him for sticking up for himself....No one gets paid enough to be spoken too like a bit of shit for 90 minutes.

Agreed.  Either cut out the players and managers abuse and then rightly hold this referee's actions to account or accept it as a factor of permitting players and managers to roundly abuse refs each and every game  and this is a consequence.

• Everyone has a tipping point.....before I pass judgement I would like to know what Judge said to have set off such a reaction.
  • The amount of shit Refs get is ridiculous...Would it be normal to call your co-worker a fucking wanker or something to his face & not expect grief back. 

Dont blame him for sticking up for himself....No one gets paid enough to be spoken too like a bit of shit for 90 minutes.
    Co-worker? The ref is supposed to be in charge.

The law of the jungle is not appropriate for any profession.
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Referees have to be above this sort of behaviour as they are the ones punishing that very behaviour amongst the players. They have two coloured cards in their pockets to assist them.

Totally unprofessional.
    Do they get punished though. Every game I watch I see players abusing the ref. If the ref was to start producing cards every time it happened a lot of games would be abandoned. I don't think the FA would support the refs handing out 5/6 cards per match for it. So in that respect they have to take a lot of abuse before showing the card. Admittedly last night was probably one of those times that the card could have come out as the punishment. 
    If it was punished consistently and every time then the behaviour would change.

Only the captain should be able to approach the referee unless the referee requests another player to approach him. Egg chasers have it covered. 
    Apologies if you're already stating it here but I thought those were the rules anyway now?
  • Personal level: fair enough, surely didn't come out of nowhere and we've seen the reverse enough times that I'm sympathetic.

Professional level: probably as a referee should not be doing that as understandable as it is.