Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best footballer seen live.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    George Best would be the pick of those I've seen live.
    All games in his pomp in the 60's for ManU, including a 6-1 win at West Ham and a 4-0 win at Fulham.
    Others I have seen and enjoyed; Denis Law, Bobby Charlton, Jimmy Greaves, Glen Hoddle, Stuart Leary, Eddie Firmani, John Charles, Stanley Matthews, Allan Simonsen, Paul DiCanio, Dalgliesh and many more.
    Saw Ferenc Puskas and Alfredi Di Stefano in an exhibition match at Stamford Bridge in the 60's.
    Some of the best memories are when one player puts on a masterclass in a particular game.
    Have seen Firmani, Cliff Holton, Paul Walsh and Scott Parker (spit) amongst others do that for us.
    Against us; Bobby Tambling for Chelsea, Peter Knowles for Wolves, Alan Ball for Southampton and lots more.
  • Options
    Still Christiano Ronaldo for me. I have also seen Messi & Neymar live, but neither put in the work rate or consistent effort of Big Ron. 

The guy is an advert for hard work and dedication.
  • Options
    Best slightly suffers from lack of international success. Ultimately the greatest players are judged on how they play at the very highest level, something Pele for example will always have in his favour, ditto when comparing Maradona and Messi.

Of that 11 I'd swap Cruyff for Bergkamp and one of the Spanish geniuses for Modric.

I'm not sure a CB pairing of Moore and Beckenbauer works, Moore needs someone more physical alongside him like one of the Italian brutes, while wasn't the Kaiser more of a back 3 libero? 
  • Options
    Best slightly suffers from lack of international success. Ultimately the greatest players are judged on how they play at the very highest level, something Pele for example will always have in his favour, ditto when comparing Maradona and Messi.

Of that 11 I'd swap Cruyff for Bergkamp and one of the Spanish geniuses for Modric.

I'm not sure a CB pairing of Moore and Beckenbauer works, Moore needs someone more physical alongside him like one of the Italian brutes, while wasn't the Kaiser more of a back 3 libero? 
    Nesta or Baresi would do that job just fine!

I take your point about international success, although the great Pele when interviewed in 1970, after the greatest international side ever had just won the World Cup, was asked who the best player in the world was - he answered George Best! He may of course have just been showing false modesty!
  • Options

Yeh, "unfortunately" for George he played for a Northern Ireland team that his club side would have beaten 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.
    As they never qualified for a World Cup, the South American countries  probably never got to see him and don't know what the fuss was all about.
    The rest of  Europe of course saw "El Beatle" shine in the European cup.
    I do recall NI once beating Scotland 1-0, with George taking them on virtually single-handed.

• Options
    Only "elite" club I've seen is Arsenal, and they were playing Palace. Zaha ripped them a new one but feels wrong to say Zaha...... Wasn't old enough to watch Charlton in the prem really, only remember one game unfortunately. Was booked to go to watch Barcelona play last year at the end of March but that was cancelled for some reason which was a huge shame.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Talking of defenders once at the Valley it was Charlton Athletic verses Japp Stam.
    Paul Parker virtually played us on his own at Sellout Park in 1986, Fulham were already down and we won 2-0. We were effectively promoted but confirmed it at Carlisle on the saturday, but that’s another story.
  • Options
    Stuart Leary.
    Jorge Costa.
  • Options
    Glenn hoddle 
  • Options
    The best footballer would be a toss-up between Ronaldo, Henry and Bergkamp. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One horse race,George Best,saw him play at Highbury,once mesmerising,so quick you just could not see his feet move,and of course he played for us.
  • Options
    I haven't actually been to that many top flight games, mainly because I only really properly started following Charlton after we got relegated (which is odd, I know). 

I saw Luis Suarez play at the Stadium of Light during that season where Liverpool got so close to winning the title. Thought he was phenomenal. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Glenn hoddle 
    THIS all day long (accepting that as I was born 1970, I can’t have seen Best etc) - Hoddle was total class - in a way born in the wrong country - had he been born in France or Spain, they would have built a national team around him, rather than him being considered a ‘luxury’ in England 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    McCartney said:
    Saw Gazza play for England B against Yugoslavia st the old Den and he ran the game. 
    My memory of him in the Selhurst game was we were the better side for most of the game and Gazza was getting red faced and frustrated but him and Lineker clicked for 30 mins and destroyed us.
    Taken with a cameo sub performance for Newcastle he did things no other player I've seen do so he's the best I've seen 

Remember that game at Selhurst and I agree, for 60 or 65 minutes we were frustrating Spurs and playing well, Gazza was moaning at the ref, we were 1 up and suddenly the genius came alive and fed Lineker and a 1-0 lead turned into a 3-1 defeat  in the last 30 mins or so. We were unpicked by his dancing feet.
    I haven't checked the score but that is what my brain is recalling.