Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best footballer seen live.

Comments

• Options
    Franco Baresi no more  to be said
  • Options
    Maradona

For Argentina v England at Wembley 1980
    For Barcelona v Man Utd at Old Trafford 1984
    For Tottenham v Inter Milan (Ardiles Testimonial) 1986
    For Rest of the World v Football League at Wembley. 1987

If you have any Spurs mates, ask them who is the greatest player to wear a Tootenham shirt? Don't take Greaves, Hoddle or Kane as the answer. It's Maradona. 

If you really want to wind them up, ask who was the second best. Answer : Liam Brady in Keith Burkinsaws Testimonial, Tottenham v England XI in 1984.
  • Options
    Glenn Hoddle - a game at White Hart Lane - Dad and I were guests of one of his contractors - I can’t remember who they were playing, but he just ran the show - pinging passes all over the pitch - class

Why England didn’t build a team around Hoddle I’ll never understand
    He didn't track back or tackle. Bowyer would have him on the bench along with George  Best, Stan Bowles & Derek Hales.
    And that’s why you build a team around outstanding talent - I wasn’t born when we won the World Cup - but my understanding is that Nobby Stiles was given the job of winning the ball / nullifying the opposition, and then passing the ball to the ‘creative’ - Deschamps had that role for France - the ‘water carrier’ - if English football hadn’t had been so backward when Hoddle was in his prime, we would have done so much better in the 80’s - so what if he didn’t do the defensive stuff, he was world class - if he was born in Italy, Spain, France etc they would have put him centre stage, and let him do his magic

We instead had Bryan Robson, and not Glenn Hoddle.....
  • Options
    This is such a great question as it can be cut so many different ways.

In terms of individual performance, James Rodriguez was simply unplayable for Colombia against Uruguay in the 2014 World Cup, and scored one of the greatest goal I’ve seen in person. But I probably wouldn’t give him the honour as outside of that tournament he’s not a great.

In terms of a player who I saw do great things, in the same World Cup, I saw Messi twice, both times he was very quiet but both times came up with moments of greatness to win the game. Vs Bosnia, it was an awful match until he picked up the ball near half way, played a 1-2 with Higuain and curled in a beauty. Vs Switzerland, he did very little for 117 minutes, but then picked up the ball and bore down on goal in a way which was just frightening to see run towards you, skipped challenges, and you knew that it would be a goal in some way (he passed to Di Maria who curled a lovely shot in). I genuinely have never felt the same feeling of seeing greatness before or since, though i had a similar feeling when Henry played against us multiple times.

In terms of a one off performance, Berbatov in the relegation match vs Spurs was amazing, but probably due to us more than him! Or Scott Parker in that match vs Chelsea on Boxing Day was almost like a one man team in his importance to us (and didn’t they just know it?)

Or in terms of a great player I saw in person, I saw Rivaldo at the o2 in a 6 a side tournament, and have seen C Ronaldo a number of times. Great players, but terrible when i saw them...

I think I’ll go for Messi overall
  • Options
    Messi. He doesn't run he shuffles and the ball is never more than 1 yard away from him. Feel blessed watching him. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Great question.

To many great players.

I saw England play a rest of the world 11 at Wembley in the early 60's.

Lev Yashin the Russian goalkeeper was outstanding.

Jim Baxter was imperious in midfield.

Bobby Moore & Bobby Charlton in the 66 world cup games.
    I had tickets to the semi final.

Gazza at the valley.     Ronaldo

Patrick Viera.      Paolo Di Canio. 

Wish I'd seen George Best live.
  • Options
    Think someone already called it

We played spurs at selhurst late 80’s and Gazza was absolutely incredible, ran the show

For some reason I always remember Villa beating us 2-0 at Selhurst and they had a really quick winger who was unplayable Tony Daley ?  

Those were the days of football specials there was carnage at Norwood Junction after that game 

Weird things you remember 

• Options
    Simon Francis...............
  • Options
    Gianfranco Zola whenever he graced The Valley just clearly a class apart
    Peter Beardsley for Newcastle v Dons at shithouse park - geordies also had Ginola, Albert and were moving like a swiss watch
    Teddy Sheringham England v Holland Wembley Euro '96 - vision, movement and exquisite simplicity of his game - (up there with Charlton's Wembley '98 for best footballing experience of my life)
    Gazza had a similar 10 minutes v Scotland but Sheringham's was match long genius v the Dutch.
    Spotty Parker v Roy Keane at The Valley - spotty so totally shackled the grumpy old clogger that Fergie took him off and tossed away 2 points in the process - SP & RK went for a 50:50 and Spotty wacked him so hard, RK offered him his hand when they both struggled to their feet pretending neither was hurt - for RK to show any other player even moderate respect meant he knew he'd been bested
    First time we saw Wayne Rooney at The Valley, off the bench for Everton, a blizzard of energy and skill, no red shirt anywhere near him at any stage, he came within inches of repeating that thunderbolt goal he'd scored against Arsenal weeks earlier - absolutely terrifying - whatever happened to that lively scouse kid? 
  • Options
    Remember seeing Peter Taylor for Spurs at the Den. He ran riot down the right wing and cut into the box time and time again. Waltzing passed player after player. Every time he passed for a Spurs forward from close to the six yard area. I swear he could have scored five if he had shot and beaten the keeper with half of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another Peter also stands out. Peter Beardsley. The first few times I saw him live (Carlisle and Newcastle) he ran the show. No-one could get near him and he, too, created a ridiculous amount of chances.
  • Options
    Luca Modric was made a very memorable second-half appearance against us at White Hart Lane in the Cup. He changed the game, pulled the strings and you knew he would play at the top of the world game.
  • Options
    Saw Cruyff play for Ajax in the European Cup Final at Wembley - bit of a distant memory. Henry was the best player I've seen at the Valley- great movement and balance.
  • Options
    Against us against us then Henry, saw Ronaldinho Barc V Chelsea’s, bloke was a step above everyone on the pitch, for us Simonsen I know it wasn’t the top league or opposition but he was just so much better than anyone I had ever seen before. 
  • Options
    As a neutral - Messi and Ronaldo in Spain

Against Charlton, Henry I think for consistency but plenty of options:

- Remember Kanoute being unplayable in the 5-0 on Boxing Day. 
    - Ginola first year in prem 1-4 at home. 
    - Modric for Spurs in the FA Cup

I’m sure there are many more.

• Options
    Is it a good time to say Johnny Williams. 
  • Options
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
  • Options
    Diallang Jaiyesimi - was amazing for Swindon this year!

But in 30 years of watching Charlton - Pierre van Hooijdonk was completely unplayable against us at the City Ground in the late 90s and scored the best hattrick I have seen.

Honourable mentions to Jonathan Woodgate, Robin van Persie, Steven Gerrard, David Ginola, Paulo Di Canio
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!
  • Options
    Epko sodje 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

kanoute was a bit like michu a few years later, absolutely unbelievable for a season and then disappeared into mediocrity. 
  • Options
    Epko sodje 
    any relation of Akpo Sodje?
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!

Tony Adams was a quality defender. Alan Shearer once said he was the best he ever played against.
  • Options

kanoute was a bit like michu a few years later, absolutely unbelievable for a season and then disappeared into mediocrity. 
    I thought he went on to Seville after Spurs where he had a pretty decent career 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!

Tony Adams was a quality defender. Alan Shearer once said he was the best he ever played against.
    a lot of ex Arsenal and England players have him as the first name on the team sheet when naming the best they played with.

funny how some just cant convert that into management 
  • Options
    Mike small , Millwall away 😬
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!

Personally, I wouldn’t have him on a list of best centre backs I have seen play - I would rate Mark Wright, Gary Pallister and Alan Hansen as much better than Adams
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!
    Yep. Best defender I've ever seen (by some distance).

Or does the term "footballer" only refer to skillfull players? 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!

a lot of ex Arsenal and England players have him as the first name on the team sheet when naming the best they played with.

funny how some just cant convert that into management 
    But then how many of the WC66 squad made it as managers?

Adams was obviously a fine defender and leader, but was he better (just sticking to English players of the PL era) than the likes of Terry and Ferdinand?
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!

Personally, I wouldn’t have him on a list of best centre backs I have seen play - I would rate Mark Wright, Gary Pallister and Alan Hansen as much better than Adams
    I thought Mark Wright was very good when he played for Derby against us.