Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best footballer seen live.

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Wouldn't put many ahead of Di Canio.
    I'd certainly put him above Simonsen.
    Leave the beers alone 😉
    I realise you go back a LOT further than me, but Di Canio was head and shoulders above our squad at the time.
  • Options
    Saw Gazza play for England B against Yugoslavia st the old Den and he ran the game. 
    My memory of him in the Selhurst game was we were the better side for most of the game and Gazza was getting red faced and frustrated but him and Lineker clicked for 30 mins and destroyed us.
    Taken with a cameo sub performance for Newcastle he did things no other player I've seen do so he's the best I've seen 
  • Options
    Ronaldo or Messi but see messi while in his prime.

See Ronaldo in the same game most of us see him in for united.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Leave the beers alone 😉
    I realise you go back a LOT further than me, but Di Canio was head and shoulders above our squad at the time.
    Not doubting that but the thread asked who was the best player you’ve seen play live not the best CHARLTON player. You you must have seen Ronaldo or Henry mate, in their prime against us, no?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Leave the beers alone 😉
    Not doubting that but the thread asked who was the best player you’ve seen play live not the best CHARLTON player. You you must have seen Ronaldo or Henry mate, in their prime, no?
    Read the OP mate :open_mouth:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Leave the beers alone 😉
    Not doubting that but the thread asked who was the best player you’ve seen play live not the best CHARLTON player. You you must have seen Ronaldo or Henry mate, in their prime, no?
    So you’ve got Bergkamp above the two I’ve mentioned and Neville Southall over the likes of Peter Schmeichel It’s all about opinions mate but Elfie, come on 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Leave the beers alone 😉
    So you’ve got Bergkamp above the two I’ve mentioned and Neville Southall over the likes of Peter Schmeichel It’s all about opinions mate but Elfie, come on 😉.
    Bergkamp's goal for Holland v Argentina, plus his hat-trick for Arsenal at Leicester.
    Southall was THE man in the 80's.
    As you say Uncle Chaser, all about opinions.
  • Options
    George Best is the best player that I've seen live, but the performance of Romário which I witnessed at El Calderón in Madrid in 1993 was the single best I've seen from a player.

Romário notches a 20-minute hat-trick in the first half, and hits the bar as well, as Barca go 3-0 up.  He might have also been awarded a penalty (which he would have taken) just before the home side break away for the last-minute winning goal.

Atletico Madrid - Fc Barcelona 4 - 3 1993-1994 - YouTube

It was a wild night in Madrid after that!

Vibro El Calderon!
  • Options
    Richard Tydeman without doubt. George Best a close second. 
  • Options
    Richard Tydeman without doubt. George Best a close second. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1st Jimmy Greave 2nd George Best
  • Options
    From a long long time ago but have not seen bettered - Stuart Leary and Bobby Moore
    Both highly skilled and both exuded style. 
  • Options
    Went to this game on corporate hospitality. Some decent players on show...

Silvestre and Brown were decent. 
  • Options
    Maradona and Zidane.
  • Options
    Maradona 
  • Options
    After reading yesterday's post re the Ryan Giggs goal, it got me thinking(for once) on who is the best player I have seen live.
    I'm going for Dennis Bergkamp, with Neville Southall the best goalkeeper.
    Southall was a top keeper. But nowhere near Mike Salmon.
  • Options
    Maradona 
    Same here, although Platini played in the same game I saw him at and he was superb.

There was also a Brazilian right back called Josimar I saw play against England in the 80’s who was brilliant. His career never really took off though which was a shame.  
  • Options
    How any lifers have seen both Maradona and Messi play?
  • Options
    Henry was the one who came to mind first. 

Also Ginola ripped us apart once at The Valley, and is one of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen. 
    yes, i'd agree with this 
  • Options
    Maradona 
    Same here, although Platini played in the same game I saw him at and he was superb.

There was also a Brazilian right back called Josimar I saw play against England in the 80’s who was brilliant. His career never really took off though which was a shame.  
    Rest of the World v Football League 1987 at Wembley?

Was my first ever live match. Set a bit of a high bar that game crashing back  down to    reality when next game was Charlton at selhurst a few years later!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Live in front of my very eyes was a cup tie against QPR when we unexpectedly took a 2-0 lead.
    QPR went on to win 3-2 and it was an absolute masterclass from Rodney Marsh. Scored 2 before half time, one at least was a brilliant turn on the volley from the edge of the area at the Covered End (it is possible his other goal was like that too) then he unselfishly laid on the winner for Peter Eustace, I think it was, in the second half when he could've got himself a hat trick.
    Just brilliant.
  • Options
    Maradona 

Rest of the World v Football League 1987 at Wembley?

Was my first ever live match. Set a bit of a high bar that game crashing back  down to    reality when next game was Charlton at selhurst a few years later!
    Yes mate 
  • Options
    After reading yesterday's post re the Ryan Giggs goal, it got me thinking(for once) on who is the best player I have seen live.
    I'm going for Dennis Bergkamp, with Neville Southall the best goalkeeper.
    Southall was a top keeper. But nowhere near Mike Salmon.
    He took a penalty in the shoot out against Everton in the full members cup quarter final.

Best one of the lot, if our keeper had got behind it the force would have taken him into the back of the net.
  • Options
    It’s a tough one really, seen C Ronaldo live but wasn’t yet the player he became, saw Neymar live and he was diving all over the shop then accused the tartan army of being racist for booing his dives.

Probably Henry 
  • Options
  • Options
    I’ve watched them on the box but not in the flesh which I assumed the OP was alluding to.
  • Options
    Maradona 

Josimar Scored a couple of crackers 86 World Cup. One against Northern Ireland 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I’ve watched them on the box but not in the flesh which I assumed the OP was alluding to.
    This time you are correct :)
  • Options
    Was lucky enough top see Maradona at the England V Argentina game at Wembley in 1980. At Charlton it would have to be Henry, a constant menace against us.
  • Options
    Glenn Hoddle - a game at White Hart Lane - Dad and I were guests of one of his contractors - I can’t remember who they were playing, but he just ran the show - pinging passes all over the pitch - class

Why England didn’t build a team around Hoddle I’ll never understand
    He didn't track back or tackle. Bowyer would have him on the bench along with George  Best, Stan Bowles & Derek Hales.