Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best footballer seen live.

Comments

• Options
    Talking of defenders once at the Valley it was Charlton Athletic verses Japp Stam.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!

Tony Adams was a quality defender. Alan Shearer once said he was the best he ever played against.
    Personally, I wouldn’t have him on a list of best centre backs I have seen play - I would rate Mark Wright, Gary Pallister and Alan Hansen as much better than Adams
    I thought Mark Wright was very good when he played for Derby against us. 
    Out of Wright, Pallister and Hansen, it’s a close run thing, and I am tempted to go for Hansen, but I will go with Wright, as I never saw him have a bad game against us, and he was excellent in Italia 90 

I rate them better than Adams, as whilst Adams was a good defender, he doesn’t (IMO) have the all round game that those 3 had i.e. they were more than well organised good tackling defenders, quite happy with the ball at their feet, good in the air, had ‘vision’, distributing the ball well etc etc

Its all about opinions of course 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:
    Paul Gascoigne

Tony Adams

Ryan Giggs 

Alan Simonsen 
    Tony Adams !!!
    Yep. Best defender I've ever seen (by some distance).

Or does the term "footballer" only refer to skillfull players? 
    Adams was a very good defender - not the quickest though!

Of the ones I've seen live, I wouldn't put him above Vidic or Stam though.
  • Options
    Zidane is the best I’ve seen live.
    Ditto. By a country mile.
  • Options
    Jorge Costa is one I’ll never forget......fantastic in all aspects.
  • Options
    Sir Alf in 1966 to me set the template for centre backs, the big aggressive lump alongside the more nimble footballer. One to deal with the aerial and physical side, the other with the pace (or intelligence) to pinch the ball and better able to bring it out

You'll have to go a long way to find a better partnership than Vidic and Ferdinand at their peak. Keown and Campbell was a great combo too.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    George Best (He was brilliant playing in Les Berry's testimonial against Arsenal at the Valley).
  • Options
    Pallister got criminally few caps I recall. Spoilt for choice back then
  • Options
    Epko sodje 
    any relation of Akpo Sodje?
    Well there is about 700 of them.
  • Options
    Watching Franz Beckenbauer at Coventry, so much time on the ball.
    Loved Mendonca though, used every ounce of the talent he had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My top 5 live are Henry, CR7, Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic and a name you wouldn't think to crop up, Chiellini
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    My top 5 live are Henry, CR7, Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic and a name you wouldn't think to crop up, Chiellini

Beast of a defender - fantastic footballer.
  • Options
    Against us at the Valley - I go for Giggs. He always the stand out performer on the day. 

I will also put a mention in for Alan Ball who came to the Valley with Southampton. What a good footballer.

Against us at the supermarket - Gazza...(with special mention to Des Walker as the best defender)

It was wonderful to see Best play live for United, Fulham, and for Charlton in the Les Berry testimonial.

One player I don't think mentioned yet and who I had the pleasure of seeing in his full pomp and glory - Denis Law. I'm not old enough to claim to have been at the legendary 7-6 game at the Valley which Law played in for Huddersfield under Bill Shankley. But I did see him at Old Trafford destroy a very good Spurs team. He wasn't just a fantastic footballer (recognised as the best in the world in the early 60s). It was his presence on the pitch....electric. The Stretford End would bow in adoration to him after each goal he scored. 

A mention to the greatest player my dad said he ever saw - Duncan Edwards. A titan on the pitch.

• Options
    Dennis Law is a good shout.
    Like Frank Worthington he was creative, innovative, brave to try things.
    Regrettably however I never saw him play live.
    Certainly would've been able to cut it in any era of football.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Wouldn't put many ahead of Di Canio.
    I'd certainly put him above Simonsen.
    Leave the beers alone 😉
    I realise you go back a LOT further than me, but Di Canio was head and shoulders above our squad at the time.
    Not doubting that but the thread asked who was the best player you’ve seen play live not the best CHARLTON player. You you must have seen Ronaldo or Henry mate, in their prime, no?
    Read the OP mate :open_mouth:
    So you’ve got Bergkamp above the two I’ve mentioned and Neville Southall over the likes of Peter Schmeichel It’s all about opinions mate but Elfie, come on 😉.
    Bergkamp's goal for Holland v Argentina, plus his hat-trick for Arsenal at Leicester.
    Southall was THE man in the 80's.
    As you say Uncle Chaser, all about opinions.
    Southall best keeper without a doubt.
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Wouldn't put many ahead of Di Canio.
    I'd certainly put him above Simonsen.
    Leave the beers alone 😉
    I realise you go back a LOT further than me, but Di Canio was head and shoulders above our squad at the time.
    Not doubting that but the thread asked who was the best player you’ve seen play live not the best CHARLTON player. You you must have seen Ronaldo or Henry mate, in their prime, no?
    Read the OP mate :open_mouth:
    So you’ve got Bergkamp above the two I’ve mentioned and Neville Southall over the likes of Peter Schmeichel It’s all about opinions mate but Elfie, come on 😉.
    Bergkamp's goal for Holland v Argentina, plus his hat-trick for Arsenal at Leicester.
    Southall was THE man in the 80's.
    As you say Uncle Chaser, all about opinions.
    Southall best keeper without a doubt.
    He's not so agile nowadays!
  • Options
    He wasn't brilliant when he was at Chelsea but Andriy Shevchenko was good to see in the flesh. especially after growing up watching football Italia on channel 4. 

• Options
    Makes me think of a friendly we played with QPR back in the early 90s at The Valley pre season.

I remember Ray Wilkins came on for a cameo of sideways 5 yard passes for 15 mins, but the guy sitting behind me sounded like he was about to shoot his load every time he touched the ball.

Every time Ray so much as farted, this guy stood up, applauded, and with a wry grin said 'he's still got it.... oh my god he's still got it'.

Me and my mate crack up about it to this day.
  • Options
    The first memories this thread brings back is our horrific 1 - 6 thumping by Leeds, Alan Smith was absolutely everywhere on the pitch that day.

• Options
    Shrew said:
    The first memories this thread brings back is our horrific 1 - 6 thumping by Leeds, Alan Smith was absolutely everywhere on the pitch that day.

Watching that match was like being constantly beaten around the face with a wet fish. I left when they scored their 5th! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The weather was nice though.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Maradona probably.

This is me and my late Dad at Wembley, May 1980. One of Maradona's early games for Argentina in which he did the 'run' that was then replicated to even better effect in 1986 against England.

https://youtu.be/BXrbxzKveRY
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Great player - saw him in the first game back at Wembley (eng u21 v Italy u21). You just knew that he would go on and become one of the best.
  • Options
    Top 5 for me:

Zidane
    C Ronaldo
    Sergio Ramos
    Gazza
    Del Piero 

• Options
    Saw this yesterday, apparently the best European XI as voted for by fans.

Shows fans talk bollocks - Bergkamp?!  Bottom half of the pitch is OK but I'd have to include Cruyff & Best in the midfield/on the wing instead of Modric & Bergkamp, at the very least.

Anyone else got any preferences?  Are there arguments for Van Basten, Baresi, Platini?

• Options
    Id have Iniesta or Xavi over Modric for an instant
  • Options
    I saw Chris Waddle play for may hometown club when I was a lad. He was old, slow, and past it, but still had a footballing brain that put him on a different planet from anyone else around him.
    Benito Carbone would be another - famous for spending hours after training every day, desperately trying to get the other strikers at the club up to his level, sadly to no avail.
  • Options
    Id have Iniesta or Xavi over Modric for an instant
    I would have Best over all three!

I would also have Canavaro ahead of The Kaiser.

Moore as captain!
  • Options
    An interesting and varied list. Best would certainly make my team and whilst there's no doubting Bergkamp's quality, you wouldn't find many Dutch putting him above Cruyff. Arguably the most talented European footballer of them all.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    An interesting and varied list. Best would certainly make my team and whilst there's no doubting Bergkamp's quality, you wouldn't find many Dutch putting him above Cruyff. Arguably the most talented European footballer of them all.
    No arguments with Cruyff instead of Bergkamp. 

This is an interesting story though https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/when-george-best-welcomed-johan-cruyff-to-ireland-with-an-outrageous-nutmeg-71279