Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    Surprised Henderson got in not alot of game time recently. But then I wouldnt have taken Rashford or Sterling either personally. But as I'm not the England manager you can bet that all 3 are nailed on starters lol

I suppose whoever was picked it was going to be controversial but for me another goal scorer would have been good. To much reliance on Kane in the squad imo
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I loathe 4231 with 2 holding players, unless you have midfielders that can really pass the ball between the lines.  I suspect it’s going to be 352/343 with Walker at centre back , maybe Shaw too if Maguire isn’t fit , hence the need for 7 potential full back options in the squad 
    Playing 352 or 343 does not mean you need 7 full back options, if anything it means we should have included an extra CB or two. 
  • Options
    Don't know why Ollie Watkins isnt named in the final 26......but Saka of Arsenal is. 

Reminds me of Darren Bent being overlooked by Walcott...(another Arsenal player).

David Dein paying soneone off again....?
    Saka is a better player than Walcott was then, and a lot more proven. It's not like for like either so not similar to the Bent/Walcott situation. 
  • Options
    Saka has been better than Watkins this season. I think he’s got that one spot on
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I loathe 4231 with 2 holding players, unless you have midfielders that can really pass the ball between the lines.  I suspect it’s going to be 352/343 with Walker at centre back , maybe Shaw too if Maguire isn’t fit , hence the need for 7 potential full back options in the squad 
    Playing 352 or 343 does not mean you need 7 full back options, if anything it means we should have included an extra CB or two. 
    I've said it numerous times but its so frustrating that we've now got a plethora of attacking talent but are utter bog standard at the back and in goal, imagine this team with Seaman | Ferdinand | Terry | Neville | Cole in it!!

Think we've got a very average choice of Centre-Backs at the moment, hence why we play two CDMs

But then regardless I'd be opting for some form of 4-2-1-3 meaning we only have to play two Centre-Backs which then get the required protection if they need to, meaning we dont need to take more than three Full-Backs on either flank.
  • Options
    Trippier deserves more respect. He’s been awesome this season. Probably the best natural defender out of all 4 picked.
    It's just not seeing him I guess. Trent is probably the best going forward, whilst Walker, James and Wan-Bissaka have all had decent seasons which we've witnessed. I'll be honest I don't have a clue how good he's been this season but he's been a very decent performer for England over the last few years, including in a major tournament. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I've said it numerous times but its so frustrating that we've now got a plethora of attacking talent but are utter bog standard at the back and in goal, imagine this team with Seaman | Ferdinand | Terry | Neville | Cole in it!!

Think we've got a very average choice of Centre-Backs at the moment, hence why we play two CDMs

But then regardless I'd be opting for some form of 4-2-1-3 meaning we only have to play two Centre-Backs which then get the required protection if they need to, meaning we dont need to take more than three Full-Backs on either flank.
    Absolutely agree, if we have 4 attacking players I think that's enough, especially if the full backs and one of the CM's can support. Don't see harm in playing 4231 as it protects the defence. I think playing 3 at the back and then someone like Rice in midfield would be more defensive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At first look, choosing 4 right backs might seem bizarre, odd, excessive, contrary, f***ing stupid ...
    However, I'd like Walker in a back three as he has the pace to cover the slower Stones and Maguire .. James can operate in right midfield or as a wing back, as can T-Arnold ..
     Only 2 centre forwards/proper strikers ? .. These are his 'striking selections:

Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal) ..

This gives plenty of options although only Kane is a consistent and really top class goal scorer ..  with the current craze for the 'false 9', he could go with Kane playing a deeper role and (say) Sterling and/or Rashford 'up front'. Southgate knows who and what he wants, I am sure he has his first choice fixed firmly in his mind
  • Options
    What happens is Lingard puts in a MoM performance tomorrow?
  • Options
    If he starts Lingard tomorrow, then that is just bonkers. Sack him on the spot 
  • Options
    Not sure how you work that one out. Presumably all those who played on Saturday will be given a rest, possibly any Man U players won't start. Southgate has also said Lingard, Watkins and JWP are staying with the squad until next week in case of injury. Means we can keep those match fit if anyone does drop out.

But you never know the FA might read your comment and realise you know better than the England manager. Are you free this summer?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Not sure how you work that one out. Presumably all those who played on Saturday will be given a rest, possibly any Man U players won't start. Southgate has also said Lingard, Watkins and JWP are staying with the squad until next week in case of injury. Means we can keep those match fit if anyone does drop out.

But you never know the FA might read your comment and realise you know better than the England manager. Are you free this summer?
    I am, i’ll offer to manage for free. I just don’t rate Southgate - lucked out in an easy draw in the world cup. Can’t see us getting past last 16 - hope i’m wrong
  • Options
    At first look, choosing 4 right backs might seem bizarre, odd, excessive, contrary, f***ing stupid ...
    However, I'd like Walker in a back three as he has the pace to cover the slower Stones and Maguire .. James can operate in right midfield or as a wing back, as can T-Arnold ..
     Only 2 centre forwards/proper strikers ? .. These are his 'striking selections:

Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal) ..

This gives plenty of options although only Kane is a consistent and really top class goal scorer ..  with the current craze for the 'false 9', he could go with Kane playing a deeper role and (say) Sterling and/or Rashford 'up front'. Southgate knows who and what he wants, I am sure he has his first choice fixed firmly in his mind
    As can Trippier, and I think that's the point, do we need 3 players like that? Also being capable of playing right midfield is pretty pointless as it's highly unlikely we'll ever play with one. 
  • Options
    They’ll be no Chelsea, United or City players playing tomorrow.

It’s not Southgate’s fault 11 of his 26 man squad played in the finals of European competition in the past week.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I’ll take my hat off to Lingard if tries an ounce tonight.  “Sorry son, I’m not taking you to the Euros but do us a favour, could you make up the numbers tomorrow cos the chosen few are still a bit tired”.  If it was me I’d tell him where to shove it. It’s one thing the young uncapped guys getting a game tonight with the promise of a future in the side but if I was poor old Jesse I’d be wanting off on my holibobs. Queen and Country and all that but fair play to him if he gives a stuff. 
  • Options
    WSS said:

It’s not Southgate’s fault 11 of his 26 man squad played in the finals of European competition in the past week.
    Exactly. Should see cameos from White and Godfrey tonight. I don’t think Henderson is fit so technically down 12. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

Exactly. Should see cameos from White and Godfrey tonight. I don’t think Henderson is fit so technically down 12. 
    And that’s the way it should be. Get them involved in games. I really don’t think the make up of the team would have been anything like the starting team to face Croatia even if the 11 champions league players were available. Forget the warm up games, Southgate will have known his team for Croatia weeks ago (barring injuries). 
  • Options
    WSS said:

Those two and Ramsdale have already gone home. I think that’s what I read yesterday, those three were only ever here for some experience. But Lingard, Watkins and Ward-Prose are staying with the group for another week or so. 
  • Options
    I’ll take my hat off to Lingard if tries an ounce tonight.  “Sorry son, I’m not taking you to the Euros but do us a favour, could you make up the numbers tomorrow cos the chosen few are still a bit tired”.  If it was me I’d tell him where to shove it. It’s one thing the young uncapped guys getting a game tonight with the promise of a future in the side but if I was poor old Jesse I’d be wanting off on my holibobs. Queen and Country and all that but fair play to him if he gives a stuff. 
    Jesse Lingard is 28 years old and has just started showing the best form of his career. Southgate likes him and he knows that, he's just a bit unfortunate that his massive improvement in form came at a point where he had dropped behind too many other players in the pecking order. If he keeps the form he showed in the second half of this season up he will get more opportunities to represent England, including potentially at a World Cup, and he knows that. Or he could just have a tantrum over not being picked for the Euros, deliberately not try in a friendly and sabotage his own England career for no reason. Tough choices he's got.
  • Options
    If I were Lingard I would step out on the pitch tonight determined to show that he should have been included. I'm not saying he should have been as I dont really have an opinion on that as I'm of the mind to say it is down to the Manager to select his squad and will live or die by his own choices. But Lingard will have a point to prove tonight I'm sure
  • Options
    Southgate said Henderson would play some part in tonights game.
  • Options
    With the squad being able to be changed up until the first game, he will be wanting to keep himself in contention. Anything could happen in the next 11 days.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    If I were Lingard I would step out on the pitch tonight determined to show that he should have been included. I'm not saying he should have been as I dont really have an opinion on that as I'm of the mind to say it is down to the Manager to select his squad and will live or die by his own choices. But Lingard will have a point to prove tonight I'm sure
    Nothing wrong with that... the likes of Sancho | Sterling etc. can then all show up in the actual games as they can prove to Southgate they deserve to have been picked - As they can still be dropped before a game for Lingard cant they?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I wouldn't like to decide which one or possibly two of four excellent right backs not to pick, but I wouldn't pick four. Lingard could have been given a slot then or even Maddison. 
  • Options

Southgate said: "We have four players that play sometimes at right-back for their clubs.

"Basically they are in the best 26 footballers and that is why they are in the squad. If I could have picked five or six right-backs I would have done.

Says it all really ! if he could have picked 5 or 6 rights backs he would have done lol

• Options
    As long as we don't get a few injuries that restrict us in other positions, he will probably get away with it but not sure why he is taking the chance.